Kinzu (Golden Bean kumquat)

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Here is another kinzu, or.. er the roots of one that I have been growing from seed.
37772658_1841339602555128_2945913090459303936_n.jpg
37827554_1841338435888578_46278684931260416_n.jpg

The trunks on this species thicken at such an incredibly slow rate that a common technique is to develop the roots as a future trunk, eventually cutting back to the roots and regrowing from 1 or 2 buds as a root cutting. In 3-4 years once this has thickened sufficiently and the root mass has fused more so, I will airlayer the top off and cut back to the roots... 2 trees in 1 ;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The trunks on this species thicken at such an incredibly slow rate that a common technique is to develop the roots as a future trunk

Have you ever tried planting one in the ground just to see how fast it would bulk up as a landscape / orchard tree?

Also, I just air-layered a calamondin last year to get it to root above a nasty graft scar. I am curious if you have any experience with calamondin and how similar / dissimilar it is to kinzu? It seems plenty strong... but is not bulking up very quickly.

I'm not sure I mentioned this during the sale but Kinzu or any kumquats for that matter tend to be slightly zinc and iron deficient naturally. A little chelated iron and zinc every 2-3 weeks will do the trick. Southern CA tends to have water which is very high on the pH scale as well, so adding small amounts of granular soil acidifier a few times a year can help in producing more fruit and greening up the leaves.

You're speaking my language. Our water pH is 8.2 - 8.4 (as reported by our water utility). Out of the tap I measure around 8.0. I am a heavy user of Super Iron 9-9-9, not just on all my citrus, but on my azaleas, camellias, gardenias... in fact almost all of my bonsai.

simplot_super_iron_fertlizer_1.jpg

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another kinzu, or.. er the roots of one that I have been growing from seed.
View attachment 221506
View attachment 221507

The trunks on this species thicken at such an incredibly slow rate that a common technique is to develop the roots as a future trunk, eventually cutting back to the roots and regrowing from 1 or 2 buds as a root cutting. In 3-4 years once this has thickened sufficiently and the root mass has fused more so, I will airlayer the top off and cut back to the roots... 2 trees in 1 ;)
Thanks for the trick. I can see this phenomenon on my kinzu as well.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Very glad to see that it is doing well!

I'm not sure I mentioned this during the sale but Kinzu or any kumquats for that matter tend to be slightly zinc and iron deficient naturally. A little chelated iron and zinc every 2-3 weeks will do the trick. Southern CA tends to have water which is very high on the pH scale as well, so adding small amounts of granular soil acidifier a few times a year can help in producing more fruit and greening up the leaves.

We are all grateful for any tips and tricks on these!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Unlike most citrus, these are supposed to seed true. I have to admit, I am thinking about trying to grow some myself.

Let's do it! The more we learn about this super cool species the better. My problem will be finding a good place to grow them. I have sprouted blood orange about 80% or so using the paper towel in a baggie thing so that's what I'm going to try.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have you ever tried planting one in the ground just to see how fast it would bulk up as a landscape / orchard tree?

Also, I just air-layered a calamondin last year to get it to root above a nasty graft scar. I am curious if you have any experience with calamondin and how similar / dissimilar it is to kinzu? It seems plenty strong... but is not bulking up very quickly.

You're speaking my language. Our water pH is 8.2 - 8.4 (as reported by our water utility). Out of the tap I measure around 8.0. I am a heavy user of Super Iron 9-9-9, not just on all my citrus, but on my azaleas, camellias, gardenias... in fact almost all of my bonsai.

View attachment 221521
Calamondin don’t really trunk up all that quickly in my experience. They probably will, though, given enough time or perhaps if you wire them that would accelerate growth as well. It is a very forgiving tree, mine has withstood a lot of abuse. I’ve had mine many years, originally one of those “cuttings in a bag” you can buy in Florida/Disney. I’ve allowed it to grow freely and it now sits as a very attractive, full 3’ shrub in a pot. They produce endless amounts of fruit, and their leaves can be reduced, so if you can get a trunk to match it would certainly be a species worth giving a shot.

Attachments

• 578A1484-9D57-44CE-AF4B-5E5AAEF12292.jpeg
    578A1484-9D57-44CE-AF4B-5E5AAEF12292.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 7476510B-8337-4AC7-AFD0-E5B0912AEDE7.jpeg
    7476510B-8337-4AC7-AFD0-E5B0912AEDE7.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 46

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They reproduce like rabbits from every seed.
Don’t worry about sprouting them. Simply separate from pump, plant during warm weather in free-draining mix, grow. Almost 100% germination from my experience.
Do not let the seeds dry out before planting!!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an important pointer for ALL citrus. Anyone interested in citrus seeds - if they are dry they are dead.
Good point! To increase succeed rate, I put the fresh collected seeds in the wet paper towel, and use two hands to rub entire seeds. This action is to remove the mucous covering the seeds. Then I sow the seeds right away!
Thụ Thoại

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 221521
If you’re throwing around 50 lb bags of “super iron” you’re even more of a beast than I imagined, lol...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Calamondin don’t really trunk up all that quickly in my experience. They probably will, though, given enough time or perhaps if you wire them that would accelerate growth as well. It is a very forgiving tree, mine has withstood a lot of abuse. I’ve had mine many years, originally one of those “cuttings in a bag” you can buy in Florida/Disney. I’ve allowed it to grow freely and it now sits as a very attractive, full 3’ shrub in a pot. They produce endless amounts of fruit, and their leaves can be reduced, so if you can get a trunk to match it would certainly be a species worth giving a shot.

Calamondrin make a decent bonsai, if you have the patience for them. They have a very upright growth habit and the crazy habit ignoring established branches and throwing out suckers right next to them. This is one that I have had for many years, started as a cutting. I have gotten fruit on it several times and it looks nice.

DSC09910-1.jpg

DSC09911-1.jpg

DSC09913-1.jpg

DSC09915-1.jpg

DSC09918-1.jpg

It is kinda ratty now due to winter, but still has some new growth on it, see the light green stuff. These things are tough. Oh, and leaf miners love it, they are a constant problem for me. This one will get a repot and restyle in the spring.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Calamondrin make a decent bonsai, if you have the patience for them. They have a very upright growth habit and the crazy habit ignoring established branches and throwing out suckers right next to them. This is one that I have had for many years, started as a cutting. I have gotten fruit on it several times and it looks nice.

View attachment 225116

View attachment 225117

View attachment 225118

View attachment 225119

View attachment 225120

It is kinda ratty now due to winter, but still has some new growth on it, see the light green stuff. These things are tough. Oh, and leaf miners love it, they are a constant problem for me. This one will get a repot and restyle in the spring.
I have a Calamondin, I got from the clearance aisle at Lowes. It bloomed several times during the summer, and I had a pretty good little orange crop. But I just keep it as a patio tree, because the flowers smell so good and the oranges are fun. I like yours, it has a much more interesting shape.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about we try some seeds? 45 little fruits on mine with a yield of 90 seeds. Most look viable, we shall see.

View attachment 221753.

Had some fruits last night and planted a few seeds (jumped at it after I read what @Bonsai Nut said). I might as well just buy a small tree that I can turn into a shohin if any are still available when all the Chinese New Year travels are done

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been trying to find the best location for this tree for 2 years, and now I think I got it right! ;-)
Would love to hear your trial/error approach here, what did/did not seem to help & what your newest(final?) location is like if you don't mind sharing! Great lil tree there, these look like a fun specie I have a large one (un-chopped) that I'll be working in spring and want to be ready ;D

Top Bottom