Koto Ito Komachi as Bonsai?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Has anyone used a Koto Ito Komachi for a bonsai tree? The leaves remind me of spaghetti. I never had one of these before and really could not find any bonsai tree photos. I am thinking this is a landscape tree only. Your thoughts are appreciated.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest that type is like a very long lace leaf and my Wife likes those types to be potted around the property. Every time I want to "work" one she protests but I am certain they have potential. One I am getting this season to actually work on is called Acer palmatum 'Fairy Hair' which is even more like hair. This is a nice place to work with on the fancy types http://maplestoneornamentals.com/cat/?id=Japanese_Maples

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of the features of a bonsai for me personally is the size of the leaf. That's the reason you dont see sycamore bonsai, for example. I have a laceleaf maple of some sort in my yard. The leaves are fairly long and they grow very rapidly, so for me, no go for bonsai. Too many other types of maples (hundreds of decent choices). Big leaves just have a difficult time making a convincing tree in bonsai culture.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of the features of a bonsai for me personally is the size of the leaf. That's the reason you dont see sycamore bonsai, for example. I have a laceleaf maple of some sort in my yard. The leaves are fairly long and they grow very rapidly, so for me, no go for bonsai. Too many other types of maples (hundreds of decent choices). Big leaves just have a difficult time making a convincing tree in bonsai culture.

I am not saying you are wrong or right and do not have ANY intention of starting one of those "ugly" threads. What I must "pipe in" with is that depending on ones personal preference regarding the size of the specimen they want is often delegated by the tree. I have seen some rather HUGE cascades for example that are show worthy and the same goes for several other "display types". To me and "my opinion" most all Maples can be show worthy.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all. The issue is this maple is not really a lacy leaf. It looks more like noodles. Not sure how else to explain it.

Ill take a photo tonight of the leaf. I got this in a package deal or I would not have normally picked it.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not saying you are wrong or right and do not have ANY intention of starting one of those "ugly" threads. What I must "pipe in" with is that depending on ones personal preference regarding the size of the specimen they want is often delegated by the tree. I have seen some rather HUGE cascades for example that are show worthy and the same goes for several other "display types". To me and "my opinion" most all Maples can be show worthy.

Grimmy
Relax Grim, you're entitled to your opinions. The world might get boring if everyone did the same thing. I happen to have several landscape maples, not Japanese, in pots. They have some pretty good sized leaves. But their provenance and overall appearance means more to me than leaf size, so with me they'll stay.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks all. The issue is this maple is not really a lacy leaf. It looks more like noodles. Not sure how else to explain it.

Ill take a photo tonight of the leaf. I got this in a package deal or I would not have normally picked it.

My take on the very exotic looking maples is that their leaves are simply too showy or even "strange" to make for good bonsai as they detract from the design. Of course this is simply just my taste and opinion :rolleyes:

Top Bottom