Kurume Azalea

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Indeed. It's quite the sight. Too bad they don't have fragrance, but then again, maybe it would knock you over if it did!
Seeing your tree...makes one grasp why some just show these for their blooms only, yours has great bones as well. So a double perk for sure...lovely out of bloom...and knock your socks off fabulous when in bloom. Just stunning!!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seeing your tree...makes one grasp why some just show these for their blooms only, yours has great bones as well. So a double perk for sure...lovely out of bloom...and knock your socks off fabulous when in bloom. Just stunning!!!
Agreed, I got it for the tree itself, but do enjoy the blooms.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Indeed. It's quite the sight. Too bad they don't have fragrance, but then again, maybe it would knock you over if it did!

I agree, I favor Blooming not only for bench interest but for the look in full bloom. Crystal and I don't mind a mild fragrance but if I point something out that is strong scented she always says "I really wish you wouldn't"
:p

Love the look of that one, hard to imagine in person :)

Grimmy

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be really interesting to find out what park this shrub came from and more detailed information,
Beautiful tree! Knowing it's history is even more amazing. Here's some history of the area, I was born and raised in Philly and love the history of it.
My guess would be Fairmount Park West. The Centennial celebration, the first Worlds fair, was held there in 1876. The Horticultural Center, built for the occasion along with other buildings, were destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954, 74 years ago. The closest church in the area is Epic Church Parkside. Which is almost on the site of the Centennial celebration.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My guess would be Fairmount Park West. The Centennial celebration, the first Worlds fair, was held there in 1876. The Horticultural Center, built for the occasion along with other buildings, were destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in 1954, 74 years ago. The closest church in the area is Epic Church Parkside. Which is almost on the site of the Centennial celebration.
Wow, that is the closest I've gotten to a clue, it is hard to dig up old horticultural references without actually talking to people who keep such records. You can find generalist information, but this is some possible evidence. Thanks!

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that is the closest I've gotten to a clue, it is hard to dig up old horticultural references without actually talking to people who keep such records. You can find generalist information, but this is some possible evidence. Thanks!

There are a lot of parks in Philly. I just thought this gave some similar dates and time frames, ie the pastor digging it up about 70 years ago, why a tree from France is in a park in Philadelphia..LOL

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Criminy! Shucks! Gee willikers!

(That’s just plain stunning, And the quality of the photography is not to be ignored either)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Criminy! Shucks! Gee willikers!

(That’s just plain stunning, And the quality of the photography is not to be ignored either)
Thank you. I wonder if I should have thinned out the buds more than I did, but it does look amazing. It fairly glows. I noticed @Brian Van Fleet said he thins out individual blossoms in each bud. I didn't do that at all, just thinned out buds close to each other before they opened. If you read this Brian, can you tell me if that is advantageous over just thinning out buds?
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks, I had little to do with how this tree looks as of now, but plan on doing some work on the pads if we ever get out of this "spring".

Top Bottom