Kurume Azalea

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Amazing that you have achieved the trunk girth. My Kurume are well over 20 years old, but are not massive. My Hino Crimson, if that is what your cultivar is, really do the best in the garden and prefer full shade. Satsuki are much easier to style IMHO, so I am always impressed with a beautiful Kurume.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amazing that you have achieved the trunk girth. My Kurume are well over 20 years old, but are not massive. My Hino Crimson, if that is what your cultivar is, really do the best in the garden and prefer full shade. Satsuki are much easier to style IMHO, so I am always impressed with a beautiful Kurume.
The trunk was created over many years in a landscape planting in a manor house setting I would imagine that turned into a public park at some point as surmised early in the thread. It's certainly an amazement how old and healthy it is. Thank you for your kind comments.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another year, another bloom time. I had hoped that it would be warm enough this year that it could be outside for blooming, but with the nasty cold nights, it's best to keep it in. Probably another few days then it can be out. A shame this one doesn't photograph better for depth, as it looks long and necky in the upper trunk. In person it has enough forward and back movement and looks much better. I went back to page 2 to look at the old images, and the tree has filled out nicely, and I've closed some of the open spaces a bit, it seem about where I wanted to go with it.

View attachment 297108View attachment 297109View attachment 297110View attachment 297111View attachment 297112View attachment 297113View attachment 297114View attachment 297115
View attachment 297108View attachment 297109View attachment 297110View attachment 297111View attachment 297112View attachment 297113View attachment 297114View attachment 297115
Oh...my...g. Just when I thought this tree could not possibly get any more amazing, it blooms 🥰. It was stunning even without flowers, they are just a very very beautiful added bonus in this case!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh...my...g. Just when I thought this tree could not possibly get any more amazing, it blooms 🥰. It was stunning even without flowers, they are just a very very beautiful added bonus in this case!
Thank you, it is indeed one of my favorite tree moments of the year when this one blooms!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This years bloom was very good. And the weather cooperated (until this past week) so it was able to be outside for most of the bloom. Already cut them off and it's growing strongly back in the greenhouse as we have below freezing and snow today!

IMG_3553.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One of the first ones brought in? Because your benches are bare.. stunning. I can't imagine trying to repot trees that size. My ryusen is 3 foot wide basically. It's challenging in It's own right. This though...so delicate and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of the first ones brought in? Because your benches are bare.. stunning. I can't imagine trying to repot trees that size. My ryusen is 3 foot wide basically. It's challenging in It's own right. This though...so delicate and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
This was during the warm weather when all of them were out, but was a windy and wet day, so I brought it in to protect the blooms.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like Crataegus laevigata Crimson Cloud / Punicea
How do you like this variety?
I do not have the hawthorn any longer, it was sold on a few years ago. The flowers I do miss, but not the tree, it had too many awkward flaws.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The flowers I do miss, but not the tree, it had too many awkward flaws.
Did it have problems that were created, like inverse taper, or did it have flaws inherently?
Dont mean to derail the thread but since you mentioned it and I'm going to some lengths to buy this variety right now...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did it have problems that were created, like inverse taper, or did it have flaws inherently?
Dont mean to derail the thread but since you mentioned it and I'm going to some lengths to buy this variety right now...
It was obviously a nursery landscape tree that was badly chopped, and grown out. I got it for the flowers, but couldn't deal with the ugly.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a shot of the tree after some needed work. It had a very strange spring, I have no idea what happened, as it was stored the same as always. But it didn't bloom, or send out new leaves basically. It appeared to have just stalled. (my Kozan did the same, but my other Satsuki were normal) I did a repot as it was the year for it and to see if the roots were an issue. Nothing was wrong there. I saw some growth, but nothing substantial. It didn't have any dead areas, so I went ahead and did a hard reset on the whole tree, got into the interior too and took out some spots it was just too crowded. I decided to shape the outsides of the pads so they were not so cup shaped, and gave them a graceful downward edging. I really like the new feel that just that one detail gave the tree. I was glad to get a chance to get a good cutback, and its been a couple weeks since the cutting, and I'm seeing tiny buds starting. I was freaking out for a while, but I'm glad I did the work, it appears to be an anomaly...
IMG_5679 (1).jpgIMG_5677 (1).jpg

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see it responding positively Judy….it def looked a bit like it was lagging behind the others when we came down ..

Top Bottom