Larch question

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a Japanese larch growing in my yard thats about 10 ft. tall, I was wondering if you can air layer a larch? Thanks for your replies. Pete

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pete, they are easily layered and throw lots of roots.
Wood

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wood, thanks for the quick reply. When would be the best time do this?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whenever you have the material for the job.
Wood

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wood, thanks again I'll get the materials together today an start on this project right away. This will be my first air layer in the 13 yrs. I've been doing bonsai, also how long should I wait before checking for roots? Liquid or powder rooting hormone? Pete

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pete, I use liquid because it's easier to apply but either is ok. The roots depend on what size you are layering. I usually separate in the fall. Check occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry out but too wet is bad also, damp is what you want.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Gary do you use sphagnum moss as the "soil material" that covers the layer area, or an actual soil?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ Bill, I use both depending on circumstance. If the plant is in a convenient location for watering and the layer location is easily approached I usually use a pot with a little moss on the layer cut and filled with soil.
Wood
IMG_0767.jpg

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Gary I really like the idea of using a pot, getting to the tree is no problem. The photo really helps, thanks . Pete

Top Bottom