Large collected Elm

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Hartinez very nice find!
Thanks! I’m on Vacay at the moment in Florida. 10 day trip. The tree was going off when I left and I’m willing to bet when I’m back, the wire will have fully bit in and the extensions are 12” plus. I’m excited to see its progress!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks! I’m on Vacay at the moment in Florida. 10 day trip. The tree was going off when I left and I’m willing to bet when I’m back, the wire will have fully bit in and the extensions are 12” plus. I’m excited to see its progress!
Yeah, that sounds about right!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sure would like to see the progression with both of you guys and your stumps

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just a bush now. With wire bite like crazy.

That's sad. Unless there's a wirebark elm variety, that wire will be a real bitch.
I wire loose and ugly. But there's always a loop to cut.
😢

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Meh, it's in the crown. 2 seasons max to be barely recognizable. A little scaring is going to happen as it's about the only way you'll get the results you intended. :cool:

I use pliers and don't plan on going back to snips. Maybe on the trickier branch/trunk interface when I try to set a good angle on a new branch.

A hard prune planned soon? Surely you'll have a bit longer window than mine. I need to cut a few things and it's getting late.......

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's sad. Unless there's a wirebark elm variety, that wire will be a real bitch.
I wire loose and ugly. But there's always a loop to cut.
😢
Nah no concern here. That wire bit will be unrecognizable by the end of next year maybe the following. Especially being in the crown.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Meh, it's in the crown. 2 seasons max to be barely recognizable. A little scaring is going to happen as it's about the only way you'll get the results you intended. :cool:

I use pliers and don't plan on going back to snips. Maybe on the trickier branch/trunk interface when I try to set a good angle on a new branch.

A hard prune planned soon? Surely you'll have a bit longer window than mine. I need to cut a few things and it's getting late.......
Agreed Lance! Yeah a little bite means the branch has set as I see it. If it were a slower growing, slow to thicken species I would have pulled sooner for sure. I’ve killed more branches from cutting off wire than I have unwrapping wire.

I actually plan on just letting everything go for the rest of the year. I’ve already got so much to work with that I’ll just let what’s there thicken. Considering this is a first year tree it’ll be awfully developed by leaf drop!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Agreed Lance! Yeah a little bite means the branch has set as I see it. If it were a slower growing, slow to thicken species I would have pulled sooner for sure. I’ve killed more branches from cutting off wire than I have unwrapping wire.

I actually plan on just letting everything go for the rest of the year. I’ve already got so much to work with that I’ll just let what’s there thicken. Considering this is a first year tree it’ll be awfully developed by leaf drop!
I feel better cutting it off:)
watch them elms buddy, they do love a bite

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel better cutting it off:)
watch them elms buddy, they do love a bite
They sure do! A thicker I gauge I def prefer to cut, but a little bite on an elm is what I want. In this case in particular I would have been cutting into the tissue more than I’d like.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good Danny! I like that uro. Are you going to repot it in the spring?
Yeah for sure. I feel like yearly repots with Siberian elm are absolutely necessary. I can almost guarantee this pot will be PACKED with roots. That and I carved a ring at the base attempting an air layer of sorts and I want to inspect that!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously, in NM? We had mid-70's today.
Haha. Yeah, we are def getting snow earlier than usual. First snow we got last year was late December. But don’t be deceived by what New Mexico’s perceived weather is. Abq is at the same elevation as Denver, and my house is actually 500 feet higher than Denver. HIGH desert not just desert. Also, weather models predict a colder and wetter winter for the west, and the opposite for Midwest and East.

Top Bottom