Large JBP Container Selection

• Thread starter Deleted member 32750
  • Start date

Container Selection help

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 32750

Hi all,

I recently acquired a large and old Japanese Black Pine and when I received the tree in the mail the pot was completely smashed. I was able to find a temporary pot from another local bonsai enthusiast but the pot is too small I believe.

I found a few large Yixing pots for sale that I'm interested in and I wanted to get opinions on if they would work stylistically and if they seem like they would be appropriate size.

First off, Here is a picture of my tree in the current pot as well as a picture of the tree in the original pot that is now broken. The Dimensions of the Tree are 26" tall and about 24" wide on the canopy. The Base is a little over 10"

Current Pot: Outer Dimensions 16.5" X 13" X 3.75"
IMG_1251.JPG

Original Pot: Not sure of the Dimensions exactly but I measured a piece that was 4.25" tall and the planting depth was 3.5"
IMG_0905 2.JPG

Pot Option 1: 20" X 14" X 5"
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.45.03 PM.png

Pot Option 2: 19.5" X 15" X 5"
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.45.47 PM.png

Pot Option 3: 18" X 14" X 5"
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.46.11 PM.png

Pot Option 4: 19" X 14.5" X 5"
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.45.25 PM.png

Pot Option 5: 19" x 15" x 6"

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.46.51 PM.png

Option 6: I've considered building a wooden Box for the tree until I can find an appropriate pot for it. I've seen this done by professionals in Japan to reinvigorate trees after being exhibited or for mature black pines that are still being developed. Oshima-San from Bonsai Meijuen appears to plant large and old black pines in wooden boxes very frequently for this purpose. I feel this may be a good option since the tree is possibly stressed from the shipment. I hope some of the Black Pine experts here on the site can chime in on this. Here is an example of this type of Wooden Box
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.47.43 PM.png

I hope I can get some good input from this poll and generate good discussion.

Thanks,
Adam

D

Deleted member 32750

How's the tree doing? I voted build a wooden box until you have the health, silhouette, and styling finalized.
It looks a lot better needles are extending out of the candles

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If your friend will allow your use of the pot until spring, I'd leave it as is. If you have candles extending and good color/density of needles (ie, it's not dropping them), I don't think its stressed enough to warrant the effort of building a box.

I like the pot that its in, style-wise, if it only had just a bit more depth to it.

D

Deleted member 32750

If your friend will allow your use of the pot until spring, I'd leave it as is. If you have candles extending and good color/density of needles (ie, it's not dropping them), I don't think its stressed enough to warrant the effort of building a box.

I like the pot that its in, style-wise, if it only had just a bit more depth to it.
I had to buy the pot so it's mine to keep lol. It's a temporary situation for the tree but it's mine to keep. I love the pot but I agree it's too shallow for this tree and It needs to be wider than 13" There isn't much room on the back side of the tree. As far as the needles, The new needles emerging from the buds look good. Last years needles look good for the most part. There is needle cast on some of the 2 year old needles and it has had some 2 year old needles yellow. I'm treating the needle cast with infuse systemic and will be hitting it with liquid copper and daconil going forward

Top Bottom