Late-season collected trees thriving

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've posted these trees in other threads, but this is an update on their progress. They were collected in late May, because the Forest Service didn't open their road until then. I was thrilled to come back from vacation to find that, not only did they survive our hottest week of the summer, but they are all actively growing. They were in a protected corner of our courtyard, with a sprinkler on automatic watering four times a day (with a responsible tree sitter monitoring). I should go on vacation more often!

Here's a Ponderosa for bunjin style. image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A Gambel oak, unfortunately with leaves opened. image.jpeg

Twin-trunk Douglas Fir. I had the most confidence in this one, since buds were not yet open. image.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This oak is the one I'm most thrilled about, both for the fact that it survived and for the quality of the material. The humidity was 5% the day I potted it and it bottomed out at 2% the following week. I pruned a lot of leaves and the tree self-pruned most of those remaining. It got down to three leaves on the smallest trunk. Those three hardened off and are still there. It is now pushing out new leaves all over. I'll name it Annie Oakley, in honor of my friend, Anne, who spotted it. An appropriate name, considering its resilience.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Good job! Keep up the aftercare.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This oak is the one I'm most thrilled about, both for the fact that it survived and for the quality of the material. The humidity was 5% the day I potted it and it bottomed out at 2% the following week. I pruned a lot of leaves and the tree self-pruned most of those remaining. It got down to three leaves on the smallest trunk. Those three hardened off and are still there. It is now pushing out new leaves all over. I'll name it Annie Oakley, in honor of my friend, Anne, who spotted it. An appropriate name, considering its resilience.View attachment 109513 View attachment 109514 View attachment 109517 View attachment 109518 View attachment 109519
I'm very happy to see this one in particular pull through. Good job with the aftercare.

Aaron

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I like the Fir, hard for me to find useful ones up here.

Top Bottom