Late summer repotting

Reaction score
After reading all this I supposeI can repot whenever I want. Average temps in winter is 12C (6C absolute minimum) and in summer is 22C (28C absolute maximum) whereas humidity is always high (80%) throughout the year... I have repotted in feb through May and in September. Never killed any tree.

I also feel that we should be more accurate when writing. I hear people talking about spring, mid summer, late summer, fall. as an example Vance talked about fall reportting in 14th September. That’s not fall in my side of the pond. It’s late summer and may be misleading.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I have an idea. Seeing as how some members seem to like "contests" and "competitions"....how about a "late summer repotting competition"?
Whoever successfully repots a $ 100,000 or more Japanese white pine in mid-August wins! Everybody's egos can get stroked that way. 😂😂😂

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have an idea. Seeing as how some members seem to like "contests" and "competitions"....how about a "late summer repotting competition"?
Whoever successfully repots a $ 100,000 or more Japanese white pine in mid-August wins! Everybody's egos can get stroked that way. 😂😂😂

I would not care for the competition but I would not hesitate at all to do it. It's the best time - at least in my garden.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I would not care for the competition but I would not hesitate at all to do it. It's the best time - at least in my garden.
Just a joke Mr Pall...I have the utmost respect for you and understand and agree with everything you've said.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoa there, hold your horses. Walter has never professed that anyone should do anything. He has been very careful with stating the caveats on his work. You on the other hand, not so much. 'Cut back your maples once a week until July or you will take forever to make a quality tree' with no caveats as far as I have seen on that topic. Walter chooses his words carefully, Smoke, you don’t! So calling someone irresponsible when they spell out the situation when a technique is used in detail and you telling people how they should be treating their trees with a complete disregard for their situation is completely hypocritical, but hey, that is kind of your namesake eh Smoke and mirrors?
I just think it's kind of irresponsible to profess repotting for people that have no idea about their weather and aftercare. It's like some of the crap Ryan talks about being in North Oregon. You can't do here what he talks about. It's up to each person doing bonsai to be ultra aware of their surroundings and the horticulture needs of the plants you work with. Mostly why I only work with a handful. Six tops. I know exactly what they will do and when.

There is a huge difference between repotting and pruning. You will never kill a tree by pruning and watching. But you can surly kill a tree in summer repotting. Lets just say that Walter does what he does where he lives, and I do what I do where I live. Both of us get excellent results. We do because we WORK on trees. Unlike many here that dabble and really never make anything after ten years. That, is the sad truth.....

Do you do summer repotting or prune the shit out of your maples? or...do you just do your own thing?

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Is there a button for taking a like back?
What? You gave me a "like" until I kissed his ass? 😂
I don't want to get involved in this mess of a thread, but all he is saying is that it works for him. It works for me in Ohio. It obviously won't work where you live.
Live and let live.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What? You gave me a "like" until I kissed his ass? 😂
I don't want to get involved in this mess of a thread, but all he is saying is that it works for him. It works for me in Ohio. It obviously won't work where you live.
Live and let live.
Did you get that from the post above yours?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Whoever said "You can't argue with success." obviously has never been on Bonsai Nut. Walter seemed to make it very plain that this procedure has worked for him for years. He also warned of the things that have to be in place for it to work. He ALSO said that he wasn't recommending anyone try this procedure.....only that it worked for him. How on earth can anyone actually reading his post have any arguement with it? Now, after the sordid remarks he received, I really don't blame him for getting a bit defensive.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're barerooting junipers? Do tell...;-) That's pretty aggressive.

As far as barerooting deciduous, I do that every time I repot one. Standard practice for most folks that I know that have been doing this for a while. Late spring repots of maples while they're in leaf too.

Also standard in repotting deciduous trees is simply sawing off the bottom third to half of the rootmass before doing any root work.
Yes, fully bare rooting. Have only lost one and that's because I pruned off a bunch of growing tips during the winter. It had been doing fine before that. I did perhaps 6 or 7 last year, have already done 2 more this summer, with plans to do 3 more junis, a hemlock, and a hinoki. The ones I'm more worried about are the deciduous. However, last weekend I bare rooted a maple and a cotoneaster. These I placed in shade, while the junipers I placed back into full sun. So far, the maple and cotoneaster are looking good. I'll wait a couple more weeks and then place them under the arbor on the bonsai shelves.

I do them in the morning, with temps below 90 degrees for that day and following days.

So far, so good!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does it really matter...I mean this place has never really been a gallery of finely crafted bonsai.....:rolleyes:

Post up your best bonsai so we can see what you learned from Walter???

Anyone have anything to share that they have learned and built from the teachings of this forum?

There has not been a shortage of good information here, yet I never see any good progressions much. Let me rephrase that, there are some good progressions of trees on here, but they have yet to reach a point to be considered bonsai. Putting it in a bonsai pot is not the magic answer. I can consider a good bonsai still in a wooden box, bonsai, when it looks like one.
I don't have any finely crafted bonsai. I wish I had the money to purchase better stock, but... I have been using nursery stock.

Anyway, here is a cotoneaster that I've had for a couple of years. I learned from you not to wait for the leaves to harden before doing ramification pruning, and I got 3 prunings this year. Now I'm letting it grow shaggy the rest of the year to recuperate. And I did a summer repot, which I actually learned from @0soyoung last year, not from Walter. I try to soak up as much info as possible from as many sources as possible. I know it's not much of a bonsai compared to many here on BNut, but not bad for me.20190804_115756.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Smoke maybe you should ask @Walter Pall to show you the trees he has made. You know, get him to show you if his techniques actually work instead of just talking about them like he always does. I doubt he has a wizard hat to compare to any of yours. If only he had almost as many pictures as words.....
This is a joke right? I don't think there is anyone, I mean anyone in this whole planet who has more photos of his bonsai with every single tree as a progression over decades often, than Walter Pall. Your comment is either the result of ignorance or malice. Assuming it is only ignorance, here is Walter Pall's photo gallery:

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a joke right? I don't think there is anyone, I mean anyone in this whole planet who has more photos of his bonsai with every single tree as a progression over decades often, than Walter Pall. Your comment is either the result of ignorance or malice. Assuming it is only ignorance, here is Walter Pall's photo gallery:
I believe his comment is actually sarcasm directed at Smoke.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score

In due time you will you will understand.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Who takes advice from you?
I like how you tried to elevate yourself to Walter's level.
Pretty sure you are a touch or two below that.
You just don’t understand that some of us just have a higher station.

—————————————————————————————————-
Student of life, admirer of Ryan Neal, reader of Adair’s posts, confused by Sorce, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Juniper, Member of a bonsai club, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the Thornless Tree, Additional Member of the Order of Wire, Lover of Extra Crispy KFC, Royal Chief of the Order Chupacabra, Extraordinary Commander of the BNut Fan Club (northeast division).

Top Bottom