Leaves of the Chinese Elm in winter: to leave or not?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For several years I overwintered my Chinese Elm without leaves at -1C/+5C (30F/41F). I forcibly removed the leaves every winter.
This year I was advised not to remove the leaves, but I'm afraid that due to the evaporation of moisture from the leaves, the branches will dry out, as the substrate freezes and the leaves require water.
Frequently in winter the temperature in the shelter drops to -1C (30F) and the ground freezes. Should I be afraid of this or can I leave it with the leaves?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elm leaves would normally drop naturally as temps approach freezing. Try letting the tree do it for you?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Chinese elm leaves would normally drop naturally as temps approach freezing
It's been about two weeks since the temperature is close to freezing, but so far the leaves are in place.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
chinese elms are only semi deciduous, so they might drop leaves, they might not, sometimes the leaves could stay on until the next season's buds push them off, i've had an elm in full leaf until february and within a week it pushed of ell the old foliage and new buds sprung out in the space of one week.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let the tree tell you what it wants to do. In SoCal some years my Chinese elms would not drop leaves at all. Here in NC, they drop, but later than just about all my other deciduous. Even today (Dec 5) I'd say only about half of my Chinese elm leaves have fallen off the trees. Compare that to my American elms, winged elms, cedar elms, silver elms, English elms - all of which dropped a month or more ago.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chinese elm leaves would normally drop naturally as temps approach freezing. Try letting the tree do it for you?
My elms are also stubborn to drop leaves... only when they spend a few days under snow will they actually drop all the leaves.
I know this, but what worries me is that sometimes the substrate freezes and water doesn't flow to the leaves.
My elms do the same thing as yours, they go through sub freezing temps a few times and they still hold on to green leaves, never had an issue. I do make sure that I water the root system if I expect a hard freeze. They fair way better in a block of ice than with cold freezing air rushing in through them. Something I learned from Brent Watson in his articles about overwintering.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My iphone sucks at separating colors... but you can see my Seiju between the Chinese pistache and the Yoshino cherry, trident behind it. Right now the cherry is almost entirely leafless, pistache is in full color and the elm is still dark green. I have a regular Chinese elm that have a few yellow leaves, so is my yatsubusa, but 90% or more of them are still green. I'm sure the tree knows what it's doing, it will drop the leaves when necessary.

fall.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone do y’all get yellow colors on your Chinese elm? very graceful cultivar type at a Wawa market that has nice green too bright yellow ….the classic smooth exfoliating two-tone bark almost like a rain tree or something but I see some seeds on it I’m ready to collect them just for that beautiful yellow fall color.

Do you think that the tree would pass on genetic somewhat since it’s a first seed grow I know hybrids will transition their genetics on the first order seed planting

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Let the tree tell you what it wants to do. In SoCal some years my Chinese elms would not drop leaves at all. Here in NC, they drop, but later than just about all my other deciduous. Even today (Dec 5) I'd say only about half of my Chinese elm leaves have fallen off the trees. Compare that to my American elms, winged elms, cedar elms, silver elms, English elms - all of which dropped a month or more ago.
I was wondering about this, mine are doing the same. Good to know, thank you.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello everyone do y’all get yellow colors on your Chinese elm? very graceful cultivar type at a Wawa market that has nice green too bright yellow ….the classic smooth exfoliating two-tone bark almost like a rain tree or something but I see some seeds on it I’m ready to collect them just for that beautiful yellow fall color.

Do you think that the tree would pass on genetic somewhat since it’s a first seed grow I know hybrids will transition their genetics on the first order seed planting
They root fairly easily from cuttings and really easily from root cuttings. I would still give the seeds a go. I believe the ones you see used a lot in commercial landscaping with the beautiful lace bark and yellow fall colors are commonly called “drake elm” or “lacebark elm”

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Chinese elm is very easy to propagate through cuttings, what you are describing are regular traits for it. Peeling bark, dark green to bright yellow leaves in the fall/winter. Should have the same traits from seed.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I've got a variegated cultivar that is pretty showy (photo below from today) but otherwise the best I will get is some yellow from the other cultivars (corticosa, seiju, hokkaido, fuiri, etc). I don't know anything about seeds and color because I have only limited experience with Chinese elm seeds, however I did get a number of seeds from a variegated Chinese elm in landscape, and only three of the seedlings (out of a large number) had variegated leaves.

elm-fall-color.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My cork bark Chinese elm still has green leaves and we've had repeated freezes for weeks. Not unusual though. It and other Chinese elms I've had do the same thing. I just put them in storage. Those leaves eventually drop off or are frozen off. This happens with other elms as well, including my cedar elms. Just protect the roots, the tree will get the message sooner or later.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do make sure that I water the root system if I expect a hard freeze
Yes, I usually do this. Thank you for your experien. Thank you for sharing your experience, I feel better now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My cork bark Chinese elm still has green leaves and we've had repeated freezes for weeks. Not unusual though. It and other Chinese elms I've had do the same thing. I just put them in storage. Those leaves eventually drop off or are frozen off. This happens with other elms as well, including my cedar elms. Just protect the roots, the tree will get the message sooner or later.
I don't let the temperature drop below -2C. It's been doing well for a few years now, and the only difference this year is that I didn't remove the leaves.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't let the temperature drop below -2C. It's been doing well for a few years now, and the only difference this year is that I didn't remove the leaves.
Mine get outside weather, Temps as low as single digits F to 0 F. (-15 C or a bit lower). Haven't had an issue. Their roots are covered with six inches of mulch in a cold pit.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
chinese elms are only semi deciduous, so they might drop leaves, they might not, sometimes the leaves could stay on until the next season's buds push them off, i've had an elm in full leaf until february and within a week it pushed of ell the old foliage and new buds sprung out in the space of one week.
In oakland in 10B this is how my chinese elms act. Leaves stay on and remain green through out most of the winter, but then they fall off as new spring growth comes.

Top Bottom