Lets talk philosophy

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Damn.

I can't say enough that I've typed nothing personal, yet somehow, this entire response makes me think you feel you were insulted somehow.

The first paragraph says you feel hurt.

The second paragraph says you lack vision.

The third paragraph doesn't make sense at all, well, none of it does really, and I invite an explanation of where all these crazy thoughts came from.

I don't assume, when I do I state it as so in order to be corrected because I don't wish to be right, I wish to know the truth.

Of course, that IS what a philosophy thread should contain, not, "let's get something straight".

In fact, "let's get something straight" is what is assumed, as this is a philosophical conversation.

Sorce
That demon, Rum, and them funny cigarettes play a more prominent role in our exchanges than it should. You should consider giving them up. My response to your response to my response outlined how and why I prefer to live and let live. You prefer to insult and insinuate that only excellence is acceptable, all the while never showing or explaining what is excellent. I'd like to see some examples of what you think are your best trees.

You like to ridicule ideas that are different from your own without going into detail. You make a lot of open-ended condemnations that seem to be partial thoughts where you have lost track of what you wanted to say half way through the sentence. Like a blathering drunk. I'm not personally insulted, but when I don't like your tone, I'll let you know, and other readers know, that you are not the judge and jury here, and that you speak, if it can be called that, for yourself, not as some supposed superior authority. You are not bonsai incarnate.

As to vision: again, the proof is in the pudding. My trees reflect my vision or lack thereof. We all seek validation and showing trees are the most effective way of receiving feedback, some positive, but mostly negative from the judges that do the critiquing. The judges feel that it's not very helpful to just tell you, "nice tree", and they're right. But the most brutal feedback is the most useful. Your friends won't tell you what's wrong with your tree. The judge will. Your friends won't help you change course from a wrongheaded path, but a judge will. I encourage all beginners to show their trees for this feedback. Otherwise, it's just like taking a history course without a final exam. I don't give negative feedback on trees here because mostly it just starts fights. Like this one. Where I make a cohesive statement and you stop reading at the commas. There are threads online where trees progress through years and years and get older and older, but never improve. It's a damned shame because nothing is learned. Show me your vision.

The rest of your response is unworthy of comment.

If anybody wants to discuss the OP, this may help:

noun: philosophy
  1. the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.
    • the study of the theoretical basis of a particular branch of knowledge or experience.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In @sorce -- s

defense @Forsoothe! ,

he has only just discovered he has an artistic nature,
Been following his progress,
Something stopped his development when he was ypunger.
Frustration / depression may have encouraged the use of street
medication.

BUT what normally happens when a person develops an artist's
personality. Often it overwhelms and can cause problems.

He needs a little space and patience extended.
Good Day
Anthony and Brother-in-law [ cousin ] K.S [ the Fine Artist ]

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You prefer to insult and insinuate that only excellence is acceptable, all the while never showing or explaining what is excellent. I'd like to see some examples of what you think are your best trees
You are the first person who feels he's been insulted by Sorce.
What does that tell you about yourself?
And now you want him to have a bigger dick contest with him?
I usually relegate you ignoramuses to iggy island to never look at anything you post.
But saw sorces reply and had to look.
He's right you know.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow. I have seen less bickering over wool at the local grandmother's croquet competition.

That's right. You're all a bunch of grandmas........

Have at it. I'm going to do some early winter repots...........

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
insinuate that only excellence is acceptable,

Excellence requires less energy and produces better results.

Sloth fools us into thinking otherwise.

If someone is flailing in open water, they would like you to throw them a float, not a stick of dynamite.

But when it comes to bonsai, they want the dynamite. Makes no sense.

Is that line in the sand getting any clearer?

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Bonsai growers come in all type's, The Crazies, The Sane, The Sick, The Healthy, The Talker's, The Silent,...
Source and Smoke show us this....All Good

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai growers come in all type's, The Crazies, The Sane, The Sick, The Healthy, The Talker's, The Silent,...
Source and Smoke show us this....All Good

I love that you take so much flack and still have an excellent sense of community.

Sorce

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I love that you understand me, so few do... or just lack the ability to comprehend much of anything...
I love Bonsai and most of what comes with it...

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, our economy is based on perpetual growth.
Math will have the population plateau.

When it does, we will realize it's unsustainability.
Looking over the auction pages as they opened, made me think of this post.

I think the better way to say it would be;
Our economy is not based on perpetual growth, it is based on perpetual improvement.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
perpetual growth, it is based on perpetual improvement.

I reckon in order for that to be true, our infrastructure would have to be, not falling apart?

Inflation, it's just inflation right?

I watched The Irishman last night on the Flix. 🤔

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just finished Soren Kierkgaard's "The Sickness Unto Death."

Famous for his "Leap of faith" argument and attempting to set the self through describing despair within a Christian framework from first principals.

It fails in my opinion.

Is this the wrong type if philosophy for this thread?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a bitch. Particularly with my Acacia with 2 inch long needle like thorns that can cause infections. So be it.
Get over it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Cutting thorns off of trees is a bitch move.

Like DeFanging a snake.
Declawing a cat.
And shooting Elephants.

Sorce
You know how I hate to be picky, but some trees have relatively giant thorns which are artistically out of place. We trim down to levels of detail that some might characterize as anal. This is the art of portraying the image of a tree, not an actual tree. We excise thorns for the same reason we choose trees that have small leaves and small flowers and rugged bark on relatively small diameter wood. If you scale up a 2" BRT thorn it would be about two feet long on a 25 ft tall tree. You wouldn't be able to sleep at night if you had a tree in your yard with 2 foot long thorns...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know how I hate to be picky, but some trees have relatively giant thorns which are artistically out of place. We trim down to levels of detail that some might characterize as anal. This is the art of portraying the image of a tree, not an actual tree. We excise thorns for the same reason we choose trees that have small leaves and small flowers and rugged bark on relatively small diameter wood. If you scale up a 2" BRT thorn it would be about two feet long on a 25 ft tall tree. You wouldn't be able to sleep at night if you had a tree in your yard with 2 foot long thorns...

Amen.

That's the only reason!

And they should be trimmed back to still dangerous! Lol!

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I will now no longer view trees with out-of scale thorns as acceptable bonsai.

Top Bottom