Lets talk philosophy

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai is the impression of a man made ideal on nature. It it an attempt to harness nature by encapsulating it in a confined space but also to be at one with nature by the laws that it imposes. In Korea, Bonsai is described as a 'scientific art' that brings into unison the beauty of nature as wrought by the mind of a human in accordance with the desire of the tree. So in bonsai philosophy, a 'good' tree is one that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also healthy. In short, a painstakingly slow ballet between the tree and its designer.

This is how I understand it from 10 years in Korea.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Bonsai is the impression of a man made ideal on nature. It it an attempt to harness nature by encapsulating it in a confined space but also to be at one with nature by the laws that it imposes. In Korea, Bonsai is described as a 'scientific art' that brings into unison the beauty of nature as wrought by the mind of a human in accordance with the desire of the tree. So in bonsai philosophy, a 'good' tree is one that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also healthy. In short, a painstakingly slow ballet between the tree and its designer.

This is how I understand it from 10 years in Korea.

to me bonsai is just bonsai

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've always been an avid gardener. Many people asked me why I didn't go into that business. I have concisely avoided doing that because if it's your business, that takes the fun out of it. You can't have it as a hobby and as your livelihood. As a hobby I do it when I like. As a job, you have to do it when, where and how somebody else wants it done. And smile when someone tells you to do it wrong!
I disagree with this. My teacher, Boon, makes his living in bonsai. He has fun with it. It’s his “hobby”, too. Actually, no one tells Boon to do it wrong. If Boon felt it was wrong, he wouldn’t do it. The part Boon doesn’t like about his business is the travel. For one thing, it takes him away from his garden and his trees! He likes visiting clients, seeing their trees and helping them with their trees, but the travel part is wearing on him.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
' Bonsai are the playthings of the rich "

The gardener / yardman does the work.
The owner relaxes and chats with friends.
Who travels ?

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
' Bonsai are the playthings of the rich "

The gardener / yardman does the work.
The owner relaxes and chats with friends.
Who travels ?
i play with bonsai, i am far far away from being rich, so are many others on this site. your statement is incorrect.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Djtommy ,

see the " " they represent a quote. That isn't me talking.

Same for - " we grow our Bonsai for Beauty not for produce or lumber "

Wish you guys would read.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sad to hear you think I do not take bonsai seriously, my trees are not work your time, and am just here to bullshit.
To hear him tell it only about 3 or 4 members trees are worth his time.
The rest of us suck.
Which is why it is best to ignore him when he says to post your trees

I know you come here to learn about bonsai and to get better at it.
Like we all do.
Even Al.
Although he would like for people to think he doesn't get anything out of this site.
Why else would he come here in the first place.
He's learned so much from me that he can't even begin to tell you how much.
It's a lot let me tell you.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
@Djtommy ,

see the " " they represent a quote. That isn't me talking.

Same for - " we grow our Bonsai for Beauty not for produce or lumber "

Wish you guys would read.
Good Day
Anthony
so what are you trying to convey using this quote? "bonsai are the plaything of the rich "

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think bonsai exists on 2 levels.

Playthings of the rich like @Anthony says.

And gimmicks at the grocery store.

We here are the in between those 2 levels.
The creation stage mostly.

We grow as slowly as a bonsai, but we are growing.

Sorce
I like you when you're sober. Remember, it's perfectly OK to do bonsai just because you like to do it, and it's OK to collect bonsai just because you like to possess them, and it's OK to be especially good at bonsai and reach for a higher plateau. Remember, freedom isn't just my freedom to do my thing, it's everybody's freedom to do their thing without my condescension.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember, freedom isn't just my freedom to do my thing, it's everybody's freedom to do their thing without my condescension.

But......

A guy who likes explosives cuz it's "ok" for him too, isn't immune to a mine field.

A dude who sucks on the court will still get dunked on.

Spelling B in third grade....same shit.

We also have the freedom to tell you keep that weak shit in your own house.

Let's not be proud of sucking.
(Because it too is unsustainable)
Let's be proud of greatness.

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is okay to do Bonsai as you like it --- in your backyard.
Publicly - begs opinions.
Opinions are like bottoms - everyone has them.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anthony sorry I put that other quote in your mouth.
I realize I created this situation where you must explain yourself.

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce ,

when did you ever need to apologise ?
Just melt and make a gold alloy, make a ring,

We use 8k to wear or Titanium rings because
they handle making concrete and plastering well.

Become the artist you were meant to be.

Remember elegant hand built vases / teapots / teacops
go for $300.00 uS plus.
After rings $$$ ----------> Traditional Oil Painting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Good Day
Anthony

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But......

A guy who likes explosives cuz it's "ok" for him too, isn't immune to a mine field.

A dude who sucks on the court will still get dunked on.

Spelling B in third grade....same shit.

We also have the freedom to tell you keep that weak shit in your own house.

Let's not be proud of sucking.
(Because it too is unsustainable)
Let's be proud of greatness.

Sorce
Let's get something straight: my trees are perfectly acceptable for public showing. I win awards. If you want to win People's Choice, you need to beat me because I'm in that hunt and my trees are loved by lots of people. Best of Show is judged by a guest Master and I'm not in that hunt because those are serious trees of great age and linage, -big money trees I will never own.

That said, I refrain from commenting upon the wannabe starters I see here that often receive raves by you and others in spite of the fact that they are stumps with twigs sticking out and 10 years away from a pot worth more than $1.25. I don't like to rain on other people's parade. I don't accept that others are automatically qualified to comment upon my trees or skills just because you own a computer.

Stop assuming that everybody here is either too new or unskilled to have nice trees or is at Bill Valvanis' level of collecting. There is a large silent majority here that's in the middle and happy to be here.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forsoothe!

you do realise that the people's choice award is just
john public, and on our side that is folk who know little to nothing
about the topic.

By the way I respect your intelligence, and enjpy
reading what you type.
Felt I had to warn you.
Good Day
Anthony

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My, my, Anthony. You've fallen into that trap of believing that, "This is our special thing" that no one else be allowed to share if they're not on our level. Pretty uppity. No, Anthony, they won't ruin bonsai just because the heathens admire a tree or two that is not officially sanctioned.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's get something straight: my trees are perfectly acceptable for public showing. I win awards. If you want to win People's Choice, you need to beat me because I'm in that hunt and my trees are loved by lots of people. Best of Show is judged by a guest Master and I'm not in that hunt because those are serious trees of great age and linage, -big money trees I will never own.

That said, I refrain from commenting upon the wannabe starters I see here that often receive raves by you and others in spite of the fact that they are stumps with twigs sticking out and 10 years away from a pot worth more than $1.25. I don't like to rain on other people's parade. I don't accept that others are automatically qualified to comment upon my trees or skills just because you own a computer.

Stop assuming that everybody here is either too new or unskilled to have nice trees or is at Bill Valvanis' level of collecting. There is a large silent majority here that's in the middle and happy to be here.

Damn.

I can't say enough that I've typed nothing personal, yet somehow, this entire response makes me think you feel you were insulted somehow.

The first paragraph says you feel hurt.

The second paragraph says you lack vision.

The third paragraph doesn't make sense at all, well, none of it does really, and I invite an explanation of where all these crazy thoughts came from.

I don't assume, when I do I state it as so in order to be corrected because I don't wish to be right, I wish to know the truth.

Of course, that IS what a philosophy thread should contain, not, "let's get something straight".

In fact, "let's get something straight" is what is assumed, as this is a philosophical conversation.

Sorce

Top Bottom