LG Chuhin Privet

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

This is progression thread for my chuhin sized privet. This was one of my very first bonsai trees and the first tree I ever collected back in 2016. It was originally a shrug growing in my side yard. Here it is after initial collection in a pond basket. You can see that there was not much to look at, but privet are so forgiving it was a great starter tree.

You can see here it grew like a weed!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2017, I took my first shot at carving. I used a dremel with some rotary bits to hollow out the center entirely and connect the lower hollow with the top.

I then used a blowtorch to dry the wood and used some india ink to darken it. Unfortunately, I got a little overzealous with the kitchen torch and killed off the apex.... Ohh well, live and learn.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fast forward to 2018, I continued to let it grow out and then cut back to develop the primary and secondary branches.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is today while sitting in a Thor Holvilla container which I think is a very nice fit for it.

The branching is coming along very nicely and I will continue to work on developing the small ramification. I think the profile is very nice. I think it needs some additional refinement of the deadwood, to develop a more natural feel. I think the flair on the base is very nice though.

Here are some closer snapshots at different angles as well.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is today while sitting in a Thor Holvilla container which I think is a very nice fit for it.

View attachment 251432

The branching is coming along very nicely and I will continue to work on developing the small ramification. I think the profile is very nice. I think it needs some additional refinement of the deadwood, to develop a more natural feel. I think the flair on the base is very nice though.

View attachment 251433View attachment 251434View attachment 251435View attachment 251436
Oh yeah. I think you’ve done very well. Dead wood looks authentic and natural.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/

View attachment 251432

View attachment 251433View attachment 251434View attachment 251435View attachment 251436
What's the measurements of this tree?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
NIce privet. Got a bunch of these in my yard along the fence line. Trunks are pretty boring, but I'll need to dig a few up this winter and get busy with the die grinder.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NIce privet. Got a bunch of these in my yard along the fence line. Trunks are pretty boring, but I'll need to dig a few up this winter and get busy with the die grinder.
Yes definitely! Many of them in my yard have a lot of sucker branches and it can be hard to find a good flaring base. They are indestructible though.

Reactions: n8

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty good development @Lars Grimm . I take pause before a say it, but, a little wire here-n-there might hasten your branch development.
Had a few different Privet varieties here in the garden over the years and they grew fast and responded well to "strategic wiring", even larger woody branches.

indestructible

Sinense and Japonicum were the last two and died in the great culling of my neighbor's collection from an ill-timed re-pot. I lobbied hard for a re-schedule but when it's not your tree and your the "junior practitioner", ya' get cancelled out. Acknowledgement of the error placated neither of us.

Good luck with your Privet!!!🙂

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick September update. I had some die back this spring of the right, including the lower sub trunk. I think this was because I defoliated over the winter and it didn't get enough winter protection. It leafed out, but then when the first heat started, the branches all died. I think the silhouette is starting to fill out nicely, especially on the left. I want to expand the canopy and the right side further. I am debating how far across to the left I want the canopy to extend though.

IMG_5588.JPG

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The design seems improved without the right hand sub-trunk. Happy accident.Great work overall. For 4 years from collection, this is a great progression.

Thank you for the kind words. I was concerned about the dramatic change in design, but I agree it looks improved. Privet are in general so forgiving that it is really nice to work with them.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
😎
hmm i dunno, i think the balance seems about right. since the tree is leaning left.
definitely has the look of a UK woodland tree. fitting of a Privet. nice styling. you have good variety in your collection Lars.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😎
hmm i dunno, i think the balance seems about right. since the tree is leaning left.
definitely has the look of a UK woodland tree. fitting of a Privet. nice styling. you have good variety in your collection Lars.

Regarding balance, I still think I need to fill out the pad on the right and likely extend the apex more to the left. I think this will still keep the movement secure to the left, but make it look fuller and mature.

My collection is exclusively deciduous except for a few recently acquired coastal redwoods. I haven't taken the leap into pine or juniper territory yet....

Top Bottom