Literal Constant Watering

Bonsai IS a hydroponic technique in itself. There are different types of hydroponics, not all of them grow directly on water, but use water as a source to deliver nutrients to the plant.

@cmeg1 already explained this a while ago.

Interesting question.

First off, I would say it’s generally considered not possible to overwater a bonsai in Kanuma. However that statement usually comes with the context of someone asking “Did I overwater this azalea? or …? A question which would be asked referring to intervals at a higher than normal rate.

Never heard another media referred to this way myself….

There is a couple considerations with this scenario.

First in nature, as @HorseloverFat pointed out, there are certain trees and shrubs that adapted to a “riparian zone“ or similar. These would be the most likely candidates for a project.

For example most, but not all azaleas are prone to root rot, so one would have to be very selective… finding one adapted to a high water environment… and be vigilant for signs of root stress.​

Second a constantly wet rhizosphere has a general mix of microbes associated with it, in anoxic these include microbes that cause disease including root rot.

Finally for our hydrophonics fans, the larger a tree is more costly it is to grow hydroponically. Again a selection issue.

cheers
DSD sends

First in nature, as @HorseloverFat pointed out, there are certain trees and shrubs that adapted to a “riparian zone“ or similar. These would be the most likely candidates for a project.
I am not sure of this and I am not trying to be difficult. But when we first start doing bonsai we remove all soil and plant them in Bonsai soil (Pumice, Lava, perlite, dung, and various other materials) watering as needed. Trees growing in nature don't require as much water and attention as we provide trees as bonsai in our care. I think it could be done in Dutch buckets or with drip irrigation using the norm in soil Pumice, Lava Rock, and perlite or clay.
For example most, but not all azaleas are prone to root rot, so one would have to be very selective… finding one adapted to a high water environment… and be vigilant for signs of root stress.​
You would flood the plant in a basket with bonsai soil with water and nutrients and remove all water and nutrients so the roots are not staying submerged how ever many times a day is required to keep the soil moist.
Second a constantly wet rhizosphere has a general mix of microbes associated with it, in anoxic these include microbes that cause disease including root rot.
This area would be rinsed on a regular basis?
Finally for our hydrophonics fans, the larger a tree is more costly it is to grow hydroponically. Again a selection issue.
Bonsai tree is the key here.

Again not trying to be difficult more just interested.

I am not sure of this and I am not trying to be difficult. But when we first start doing bonsai we remove all soil and plant them in Bonsai soil (Pumice, Lava, perlite, dung, and various other materials) watering as needed. Trees growing in nature don't require as much water and attention as we provide trees as bonsai in our care. I think it could be done in Dutch buckets or with drip irrigation using the norm in soil Pumice, Lava Rock, and perlite or clay.

You would flood the plant in a basket with bonsai soil with water and nutrients and remove all water and nutrients so the roots are not staying submerged how ever many times a day is required to keep the soil moist.

This area would be rinsed on a regular basis?

Bonsai tree is the key here.

Again not trying to be difficult more just interested.

Gosh, I don’t know alot about hydroponics, except the basic tenets, procedures and key examples. My main background is in ecology, biology and oceanography … and of course bonsai. Mainly in the observation/experiment side. So I love investigations.

Sounds like you’ve got a decent hypothesis. If I might suggest, perhaps you could it out your ideas vs ask for opinions?

At this point you’ve gathered enough input to having strong opinions that it will work…with key ideas for testing.

Here’s an example.

Then report it out to the forum. Many folks on the forum have done so. These types of threads makes for the most interesting reading for members imho.

Who knows, you might come up with a great niche for us!

Btw: @cmeg1 might be a great resource if he’s got time.

Cheers
DSD sends

Not so much that applying bubblers hydroponic system results, etc. will help. This sounds like an ornamental set up like"

That's actually already practically the right setup. Replace those pebbles with pumice (and a tree) and add an air stone or other aerator to the runoff catch container to help resaturate oxygen and you're done.

Of course you also need to have the right flow rate on the drip and drainage, which will be far easier said than done.

Plants when grown in soil including bonsai potting media, would produce soil roots. These roots would rot when in constant contact with water. The plant has to produce water roots for your set-up. Watch the video on how you could get the plant to lose its soil roots and develop water roots. It's the same hydroponics principles though.

A constant water mist could grow anything!!

You would need a totally LARGE aggregate volcanic like perlite #3 or hydroton …….and would certainly need a net pot with total 100% drainage………you would get phoenominal growth…….but there are many perameters to be in place…..cool,clean water……and other things…….definately a hydro setup……..although even the most open volcanic hydroponic media does not get a constant flush of water……but definately quite often…….several times a day…….

A constant water mist could grow anything!!

You would need a totally LARGE aggregate volcanic like perlite #3 or hydroton …….and would certainly need a net pot with total 100% drainage………you would get phoenominal growth…….but there are many perameters to be in place…..cool,clean water……and other things…….definately a hydro setup……..although even the most open volcanic hydroponic media does not get a constant flush of water……but definately quite often…….several times a day…….
I need to talk to you. I know you couldn’t grow a full size live oak. But for bonsai I think a thick trunk would be achieved faster and an awesome root system if managed well.

In short, of course you can. Have you ever hiked to a waterfall and seen almost any species of tree that we bonsai clinging for dear life onto the edge of the rocky cliff, constantly supplied with water from the falls, and doing very, very well?
Some of the commentators have mentioned it: trees are like people, they have individual likes. I often plant trees in an almost completely inorganic mixture with a "catch dish" underneath, and then run water through until the catch dish is full and let the lowest root tips "free feed" in the standing water as they please while the upper roots enjoy the air that was pulled through with the watering. Some love it, some don't, and those of the same species. Well, life is like that. Good thought provoking question that. Glad you posited it. It was instructive reading the responses.

Back
Top Bottom