Looking for pollard/broom inspiration for fuchsia

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
So I went to town on this fuchsia today - it has a trunk! Sorry if you've seen this one on a few threads, but I'm giving it it's own.

Had a good chat with @Leo in N E Illinois about styling - whether to go for a 'turtle back' (more conventional) approach or embrace the trunk. Yes there's inverse taper, but the latter excites me much more 😁 Thank you again Leo for your thoughts and information, very much appreciated!

Seeking inspiration of UK/European pollard trees or vase shaped brooms, the older the better! Leo said that @BobbyLane and @ConorDash could be the people to ask?

Yet to decide on final size of the tree/branches, going to get the DeGroot book out for some wisdom. Think that lower right branch will be removed at some point. Also should have planted a little deeper but never mind. Photos attached of the work done.

Very excited about this one πŸ‘Œ @Cadillactaste - does this one meet your standard of quirky?! πŸ˜‰

Attachments

• 20210314_103214.jpg
    20210314_103214.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210321_162202.jpg
    20210321_162202.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210321_164924.jpg
    20210321_164924.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210321_164914.jpg
    20210321_164914.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210321_173148.jpg
    20210321_173148.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210321_173151.jpg
    20210321_173151.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 44

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I went to town on this fuchsia today - it has a trunk! Sorry if you've seen this one on a few threads, but I'm giving it it's own.

Had a good chat with @Leo in N E Illinois about styling - whether to go for a 'turtle back' (more conventional) approach or embrace the trunk. Yes there's inverse taper, but the latter excites me much more 😁 Thank you again Leo for your thoughts and information, very much appreciated!

Seeking inspiration of UK/European pollard trees or vase shaped brooms, the older the better! Leo said that @BobbyLane and @ConorDash could be the people to ask?

Yet to decide on final size of the tree/branches, going to get the DeGroot book out for some wisdom. Think that lower right branch will be removed at some point. Also should have planted a little deeper but never mind. Photos attached of the work done.

Very excited about this one πŸ‘Œ @Cadillactaste - does this one meet your standard of quirky?! πŸ˜‰
hmmm i think those would make better clump style trees. quite a bit of bulging happening in the last one. maybe plant lower for clump or put in ground on tile.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
hmmm i think those would make better clump style trees. quite a bit of bulging happening in the last one. maybe plant lower for clump or put in ground on tile.
Appreciate the input! But I'm going for keeping the trunk with this one. Might not work out, but I just don't fancy the clump πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Vase shaped brooms πŸ€”...I've not followed broom style to be honest. I wasn't aware of such a thing. I assumed Bobby noted what looked like a reverse taper. Which was possibly his direction for a clump to hide it.

But if it speaks to you...I always have stood on the philosophy of "My bench, my tree"... at the end of the day...our trees bringing us joy. Is what matters.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
We sure have a bunch of them all over the river banks and walkways. I'll snap a couple pictures when I'm out and about again and if I remember I said so, but it's pruning season.. So they're probably branchless.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
thats a beech pollard that will never really look good because of the bulge
1280px-Epping_Forest_pollard.jpg

bit better because of the base
7500756-Greeting-Card-Ancient-Beech-with-its-Fungi-0

again here the tree seems out of proportion because the bulge is bigger than the base
epping-beech-2.jpg

all about the proportions really, just has to look right.

if you want further inspiration just google old beech, oak pollards. im sure there will be some examples you could follow from that that suit your tree.

you possibly have a hollow in the bulge, take out some of the wood or run a V through it again to give illusion of less wood there.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

again here the tree seems out of proportion because the bulge is bigger than the base
epping-beech-2.jpg

if you want further inspiration just google old beech, oak pollards. im sure there will be some examples you could follow from that that suit your tree.
Thanks for sharing these 😊 I actually love the second! It's quirky. I like that it's not conventional, but I think it works?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

epping-beech-2.jpg

you possibly have a hollow in the bulge, take out some of the wood or run a V through it again to give illusion of less wood there.
Never heard that term before...but, you know me...I'm quite intrigued!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @Bobby Lane, those are excellent examples. @Clorgan were having private conversation about pollard trees. We simply don't have them here in USA. Its not about where the style is "beautiful" or "proportionate". Some trees are ugly, in a brutal way. These old pollarded trees show how brutal pruning heals with time. I thought it would be good for Clorgan to see some examples.

I think with time, and some notches carved into the wide "turtle-back" bulge, this fuchsia could eventually become a tree that attracts attention, not exactly "beautiful", but rather ugly in the sense of Walter Palls "fantasy style" trees. And of course, it is a fuchsia, when in glorious bloom with lots of flowers, ugly stump will be ignored. Or at least be ignored at first glance. I think with time Claire could select branches at different heights on the turtleback, and have a left, right & back branches and maybe a new leader and possibly one more. And because of the arc of the "turtleback" they would all be at different heights, with notches carved between them, there shouldn't be any appearance of bar branches.

Or Claire could see a desirable model of a pollarded tree, and work toward that. Which is why I suggested she ask for images of pollards. I know they are not "beautiful", but they are fascinating, when old and gnarly.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks @Bobby Lane, those are excellent examples. @Clorgan were having private conversation about pollard trees. We simply don't have them here in USA. Its not about where the style is "beautiful" or "proportionate". Some trees are ugly, in a brutal way. These old pollarded trees show how brutal pruning heals with time. I thought it would be good for Clorgan to see some examples.

I think with time, and some notches carved into the wide "turtle-back" bulge, this fuchsia could eventually become a tree that attracts attention, not exactly "beautiful", but rather ugly in the sense of Walter Palls "fantasy style" trees. And of course, it is a fuchsia, when in glorious bloom with lots of flowers, ugly stump will be ignored. Or at least be ignored at first glance. I think with time Claire could select branches at different heights on the turtleback, and have a left, right & back branches and maybe a new leader and possibly one more. And because of the arc of the "turtleback" they would all be at different heights, with notches carved between them, there shouldn't be any appearance of bar branches.

Or Claire could see a desirable model of a pollarded tree, and work toward that. Which is why I suggested she ask for images of pollards. I know they are not "beautiful", but they are fascinating, when old and gnarly.
Cheers for this Leo! Some good examples from Bobby and I've found a few more online. Will keep you posted πŸ‘πŸ»

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Definitely an ugly one πŸ™„ I'm undecided whether to begin chipping away at one of those large bulges, probably left side in first pic. Or to leave it to fulfil its ugly destiny?!

I know I'd make a much more presentable tree by doing a clump instead, but I'm determined to make something cool as it πŸ˜‚

Attachments

• 20210529_111604.jpg
    20210529_111604.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210529_111629.jpg
    20210529_111629.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom