Looking for the "keeper" out of the bunch...which do you think

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Care to share the nursery's name and number...I would love to see what they have! Far better of a price if I would lose it later.
That would end up a very expensive bottlebrush as he lives in L.A.! But then while you're here you could do a weeping tamarisk workshop :)
Bottlebrush are super easy here but I don't know how they'd do where there is a real winter. They readily bud back after cutting even on old wood.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That would end up a very expensive bottlebrush as he lives in L.A.! But then while you're here you could do a weeping tamarisk workshop :)
Bottlebrush are super easy here but I don't know how they'd do where there is a real winter. They readily bud back after cutting even on old wood.

You mean to ship it I take it as being expensive...? I was going to see if that were an option...oh wait...you meant for me to fly out for the purchase I believe...no I wouldn't have went that far. But it is nice to know they bud back after cutting on even old wood. For I have read several old posts about ones having issues with that with particular bonsai.

Ahhh yes...you do have that tamarisk workshop...I have a pathetically tiny one I wish I hadn't pruned back so hard. That I did a rooting on. Maybe I should just order in a nursery stock tamarisk/tamarix and turn it into a weeping form. I have the shrub in my own yard. But refuse to turn it into a bonsai...it is established and I like it to much to remove it.

I love the groves in the bark of the bottlebrush...it has amazing details...and non-toxic. Though...I would prefer one not so formal of an upright. But...seems that isn't in the cards for me. I may go look at that flowering almond once the rain lets up...that I plan on air layering. Maybe that may perk me up...I so love that shrub in bloom! So much so I stopped at a house which had it in their flowerbed. To find out the name of it then got one for my own yard. Luck on my side...the other property we have...I noticed this past spring having one as well.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Bob's right, shipping would be expensive. And... Because it's a native of Australia, it seems to thrive here but might not do well in your zone.
I'll post some pics if you like...though it's probably not a good idea:) I'll swing by in a couple of days...don't know the name. Although some local B Nuts might be interested. It's a small landscape nursery...not much else that peaked my interest.
I think your better off keeping it simple for now. :)
Best,
Jonathan

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Bottle brash is a very easy tree to keep and you can keep it indoor in winter. Be ware it is tropical.
First two trees are not OK. Ask for a picture of the third tree from several angles.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bottle brash is a very easy tree to keep and you can keep it indoor in winter. Be ware it is tropical.
First two trees are not OK. Ask for a picture of the third tree from several angles.

Thanks about the bottlebrush info. It is exactly what was told by Dave. As well as what I've read. I guess since I dropped Dave an email asking for info and photos of the one he feels the most character. I will hold off judgement until that is done. He had no qualms with shipping...if at the time of photos...and "if" still see nothing. I will pass.

As for the one I had planned on air layering...I honestly don't have much hopes now that I got a better look. It's really thin branched and not healthy stock in the least. I am surprised it blooms so pretty as it did this past spring. For it is a leggy weedy looking mess for a flowering almond. :( oh well...still have my tamarix...and the willow I am working with. Hoping come spring I have something to mess with. Tamarix preferably...wish I hadn't cut it back so now... But...when I prune it again (the one in the yard...I'll know somewhat...what I want in length. And do a do over.)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bob's right, shipping would be expensive. And... Because it's a native of Australia, it seems to thrive here but might not do well in your zone.
I'll post some pics if you like...though it's probably not a good idea:) I'll swing by in a couple of days...don't know the name. Although some local B Nuts might be interested. It's a small landscape nursery...not much else that peaked my interest.
I think your better off keeping it simple for now. :)
Best,
Jonathan

Dave said to treat it like a tropical come winter...his were $85 plus shipping...your nursery was far cheaper for the stock they had...they may not feel comfortable shipping though. But...I had thought to check and get the best price. But...it doesn't matter I guess...I doubt I'll do a bottle brush...because I don't wish for a formal looking bonsai. The biggest key factor was bloom and non toxic for me. I'll just sit back and enjoy my bougainvillea...and I talk to the small juniper as I walk by it...saying he needs time to grow a bit. And smile...it's all good. Life isn't going to get me down if I have to pass on this. I am so blessed that I refuse to get tunnel vision on one specific tree.

I'll continue to do some research...and if this falls through. Come spring I will figure out which weeping juniper or conifer I wish to bonsai. For I am nervous wintering native bonsai outdoors. Once this juniper I currently have...shows me I can do it...I will be far less timid with native bonsai.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is going to be difficult but I think with your upcoming travels you should be shopping and learning what to shop for, not buying! No harm in that whatsoever ;) It is great experience that you will benefit greatly from. By far all things considered it can be fun and even more so knowing what you purchase in Spring will be "correct" for your needs :D

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you really want a flowering tree, why not look at cherry or plum? They have nice flowers every spring. I dont think they are toxic, but Im not sure. Both are used for bonsai.

Here is a nice Japanese plum prebonsai from NE Bonsai in Massachusetts

http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...EBG&Product_Code=SP_46&Category_Code=PRE-SPEC

or bougainvilela (dont know the toxicity for dogs)

http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...roduct_Code=11Bougainvillea&Category_Code=BON

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you really want a flowering tree, why not look at cherry or plum? They have nice flowers every spring. I dont think they are toxic, but Im not sure. Both are used for bonsai.

Here is a nice Japanese plum prebonsai from NE Bonsai in Massachusetts

http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...EBG&Product_Code=SP_46&Category_Code=PRE-SPEC

or bougainvilela (dont know the toxicity for dogs)

http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchan...roduct_Code=11Bougainvillea&Category_Code=BON

Thanks! The bougainvillea is non toxic...I actually have a small Shohin as my profile. It holds a lot of memories and a constant reminder of our dedication to a village called Magdalena. For the guest house in Honduras had such a beautiful old specimen that my entire family admired and loved. We are the only mission field that goes in. Fifth year back for our team leaders. They are developing a facility that will allow missionaries to come and stay. At the moment...WGM (World Gospel Missions) has to locate a home for rent in the village prior to our arriving. Which is why this facility is so important. The little town has no real grocery...they depend on market day. Which was a real treat to visit. Lovely people in that village...can't wait until June to go back.

The plum is actually a tree I admired in the Penjing book I purchased. I will have to look into it. I am not worried about any fruits it may produce...leaf matter is the only issue I have with our dog. I appreciate your mentioning that one as well. It will go on my list for me to research more on. It reminds me of the blooms on my flowering almond. Which is pet friendly...

The plum I just checked...it's scientific name is in my book...but upon reading. States there are no known cases of poisoning to a list of ornamental trees...that name was on the list! Pays to read what it says. This is the first case where a name in the book was "safe" and listed that I researched.

Going of my list for spring! Something I will have to look further into for its care. Thanks again!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
You are a girl....and I am a girl! We girls like flowering bonsai so I understand you very well.
Let me remind you that beries last longer, and are also very pretty. I am going to look now and post for you some suggestions for both types, but before I do that, I think you should look for umemodoki...if I am not mistaken it is illex serata. Look at a tree with berries...it is super duper!
390651_110829191641_Ilex_Serrata14c.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wait...just realized there are two plum bonsai...the "Carissa"was the one non toxic which is the "Natal Plum"..need to look up the other one that was the one in the link.

Info on the Japanese plum/ume
The interesting thing is this. Its fruits are poisonous when green on the tree, but, when processed, become safe for use as food and medicine. Unripe, they contain large amounts of cyanic acid. The ancient Japanese invented a method detoxifying the fruits and have been rendering them fit for consumption for hundreds of years.

Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Cotoneaster has flowers and berries.
6f06bc6fe5d7fe10692f6cad57ce81ec.jpg

d__vyr_247rainbow_chard_comp.jpg

Nice folige
390651_091221122550_390651_Cotoneaster_Microphyllus3.jpg

All: cheries, plums, apples have similar flowers:
Kirschbluete_in_Japan_Bonsai.JPG

Wisteria weeps and has nice flowers:
2d46f065f52a324a614e0f9cdb98364b.jpg
Forsithia has nice flowers too.
If you want tropical that does well at home in winter you can try dwarf ixora:
Likes acid soil, and flowers for a long time. Needs semishade outside.
You can buy it from a garden center and develop it. They are fast.
DSC05113.jpg
20635411.jpg
Fuchsia Makes nice bonsai too, and can be kept at home in winter. Also tropical.
bonsai.jpg

3001617719_4d9dd9792d.jpg

safe_image.php

bf227a097fd6e8f2d89ffa2d30bd506d.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure the first two photos in the previous post are pyracantha. Third is cotoneaster.

Chris

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I could be wrong about that first one...it may be cotoneaster. Feel like I've seen that tree recently but can't find it. Might be one of Jim's...if so, hopefully he can clarify.

Second one has to be pyracantha, though!

Chris

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the fruit are a problem, just remove the flowers as they fade and/or the fruit as they form. You probably would want to do that anyway so the tree doesn't put energy into it instead of into growth.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the fruit are a problem, just remove the flowers as they fade and/or the fruit as they form. You probably would want to do that anyway so the tree doesn't put energy into it instead of into growth.

I was wondering about the fruit of the ume...since its the only part toxic. So little kids visiting would attempt to eat them. I figured one could...since it does take energy to store up to produce them away from the growth of the bonsai. You answered a question I had contemplated asking...but thought to use the search engine first when I had time. So I have no qualms with the Ume now...

I really need to be selective on which I go with...I may skip the weeping. I love them...but the more I read the more I see they are difficult keeping their style. Dave with the nursery I was in contact with. Said you will always be wiring a weeping style. Because once trained they will still try to go back to their original roots and grow up and not weep. I may just stick with weeping in the flowerbeds...where they are meant to weep. Still researching that though...

But...there are a number of beautiful blooming bonsai. So more research to figure out which will be my keepers. I wish to get this native bonsai as I said...through this winter. So I am not fearful of death to the potted plant outdoors. Once I'm over that hurdle...I will really look into possible native bonsai. Until then...I feel more comfortable keeping them indoors come winter...and going with tropical. But...So many...If the bottlebrush falls through...I may just really try and decide which flowering bonsai I really truly want to go forward with. I've done all my animals like that...and as I think Grimmy pointed out...it is wise also to do that with bonsai.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene,

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so focused on the toxicity of what I perceive as typical landscape plants. Have you had a bad experience in the past?

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If your dogs and kids are eating your houseplants maybe you're not feeding them enough.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If your dogs and kids are eating your houseplants maybe you're not feeding them enough.

Made me chuckle as I mentioned that on another thread...

Back to topic it is very popular to have a Cherry tree and Fruit trees in Japanese Gardens. They actually have newscasts telling people when it is the best time to view Cherry trees in bloom. Also included in many Japanese gardens are Plum and Pear. Just something to consider and most are decent to work with given time.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene,

I don't anyone so focused on the toxicity of what I perceive as typical landscape plants. Have you had a bad experience in the past?

I remember when I was little...my cousin while mushroom hunting eating a bad mushroom...we were never to eat them...just put them in a containder for my aunt to check...but being a kid...he thought for sure his was fine...so things that look like edible food that is toxic concerns me.

With living in a lake assocition where kids are about. With living near the beach...many walk by our home...or through our yard. So toxic fruit looking trees concern me. And my dog's bad habit of nipping leaves...wigs me out I may plant something that will one day kill her. So I research...thing is...online sites contradict others. So I am still clueless. Thus the reason for the big medical book on poisonous plants. I confess most of the stuff is like a foreign lanugage. But toxicity is easy to figure out. It also lets you know if toxicity is just abdominal cramps and vomiting...if there is an antedote...or no antidote.

Top Bottom