Looking for Zelkova Material

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Contact Meehans miniatures in MD. They should have Zelkova and will mail order. Good vendor, reasonable prices.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this zelkova or Chinese elm? The bark looked kinda like hammered copper and the trunk was about 6" in diameter.

IMG_3049.JPG

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese Elm.

Well I used that sample for some cuttings, can't have too many Chinese elms, I guess.

I took a sample of another tree as well. Could be American elm, but it had smooth-ish grey bark and the leaf looks like a giant zelkova leaf. I know zelkovas are also called grey bark elms, so I suppose I'm getting closer here.

IMG_3052.JPG

And compared to the parviflora:
IMG_3053.JPG

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I used that sample for some cuttings, can't have too many Chinese elms, I guess.

I took a sample of another tree as well. Could be American elm, but it had smooth-ish grey bark and the leaf looks like a giant zelkova leaf. I know zelkovas are also called grey bark elms, so I suppose I'm getting closer here.

View attachment 123834

And compared to the parviflora:
View attachment 123835
Now THAT looks like a zelcova!

Aaron

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now THAT looks like a zelcova!

Aaron
Except the stem on the leaf appears to be too long. The petiole on my zelkova are virtually non-existent. The leaf is practically attached directly to the stem. And the buds for next year are MUCH smaller.

You have some other Elm. Not a zelkova serratta.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Except the stem on the leaf appears to be too long. The petiole on my zelkova are virtually non-existent. The leaf is practically attached directly to the stem. And the buds for next year are MUCH smaller.

Perhaps since the tree is full size and growing vigorously, the petioles are longer. I'm assuming your leaves are somewhat reduced. Not sure how correlated leaf size and petiole length is, but when I googled zelkova serrata, the images seem to show a petiole more like the one in my photos. Here's one:

IMG_3055.JPG

Honestly, I'm just really hoping it's a zelkova, so I'll probably tend to "see what I want to see" haha.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I don't have a picture as the leaves at my work already dropped their leaves but the buds are very similar (maybe not as pointed but im unsure) and the leaves on the zelcova at my work did have some distance to the petiole similar to this pic pulled from google.583e4af6f7edd7899c65d5ffda41407f53d909468adf1_1260x1260.jpg
Aaron

Last edited:

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a picture as they've already dropped their leaves but the buds are very similar (maybe not as pointed but im unsure) and the leaves on the zelcova at my work did have some distance to the petiole similar to this pic pulled from google.View attachment 123845
Aaron

Jinks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have a picture as the leaves at my work already dropped their leaves but the buds are very similar (maybe not as pointed but im unsure) and the leaves on the zelcova at my work did have some distance to the petiole similar to this pic pulled from google.View attachment 123845
Aaron
My first impression was that it was a zelkova. But, I just finished removing the leaves off one of my zelkova, and I remembered the lack of leaf stem. So, I went out and looked at my large one, that I had just let grow. It has large leaves, 2 to 3 inches long. Still no petiole to speak of.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I've never seen one with stems on the leaves. At least, I don't remember seeing any with stems.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first impression was that it was a zelkova. But, I just finished removing the leaves off one of my zelkova, and I remembered the lack of leaf stem. So, I went out and looked at my large one, that I had just let grow. It has large leaves, 2 to 3 inches long. Still no petiole to speak of.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I've never seen one with stems on the leaves. At least, I don't remember seeing any with stems.

Well I think, regardless, I need to order some from Matt Ouwinga so there's no doubt! But if my cuttings root, I'll study the growth and maybe the answer will become clearer.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I already forgot about my visit to @Stickroot's in the spring. Maybe I'll just wait. I can't really do anything with bare-root seedlings till then, anyway.
I have a few in plastic pots if you gotta feed your hunger NOW! :p

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I found this zelkova at the Winter Silhouette show today and couldn't live without it. Gotta get that moss off the trunk, but it should be a fun little tree to work with.

View attachment 124975
Now your talking!
You just made a 10 year Time warp!

Top Bottom