Lorax7 Scots Pine #1 progression

Lorax7

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nursery stock I got a few years ago and transplanted into a training pot. Started an air layer this spring using moist sphagnum. Checked it this fall and there seems to be a little callus forming but no roots. Saw a post on Bnut that said Ryan Neil uses pure akadama with a top dressing of sphagnum, so I decided to give that a try when I repacked the girdled area. Going to leave it on for at least another full growing season. Hoping to see some roots by then, but I know pines are notoriously hard to layer. Will keep at it until either the layer grows roots or dies.
889B0651-A403-4578-84C4-B9E2CFE70E20.jpegTc

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish you and your experiment the very best. As you've already stated, pines do not air layer very often (I've tried several times over the past 25 years or so with no success) but I'm always hoping to find someone to prove me wrong. Who I can then learn their secret from.⁉️

There is an older limber pine I am still greatly tempted to buy and if I could find someone who has been successful with layering or cuttings it might just convince me to drop $450 - 500 CDN on it if I kid myself into hoping I might be able to get more than one tree off the top of it.

Please keep us posted.

Potawatomi13

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish you and your experiment the very best. As you've already stated, pines do not air layer very often (I've tried several times over the past 25 years or so with no success) but I'm always hoping to find someone to prove me wrong. Who I can then learn their secret from.⁉️

There is an older limber pine I am still greatly tempted to buy and if I could find someone who has been successful with layering or cuttings it might just convince me to drop $450 - 500 CDN on it if I kid myself into hoping I might be able to get more than one tree off the top of it.

Please keep us posted.
Personally.... If tree is good/interesting subject for bonsai may be worth $450 anyway. However should always attempt to bargain for better price($250-300)beginning with how long have you had this tree? If trunk straight or under 3" would not consider personally for that money:confused:.