Los Angeles Specimen Bonsai Private Sale

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Tell me what happens if these trees do not sell for the asking prices? Are they all going to go to The National Bonsai Collection? I don't understand all the secrecy, last minute pricing, no viewing period etc. Makes me wonder what is going on. For the kind of money being asked the sale should have been handled much more professionally by people that know what they're doing in my opinion.

Having recently handled an estate’s disposition of a Bonsai collection, be assured, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than most of you are aware. This situation may be different, but it can be a very emotional process to subjectively appraise a person’s life work, and it is difficult to get one of these organized, priced, photographed, and promoted in a way that all stakeholders can agreee on.

The owner may value the trees above what the market will pay, but be honest; who here wouldn’t do this? I’d take $3000 for my hawthorn, but if I was gone and my wife was suddenly responsible for getting it sold in the Bonsai community, the market would dictate the price, and she‘d ultimately decide to accept an offer or continue caring for it on a daily basis. She would learn that not many people are buying 4- and 5-figure trees, and advertising on the internet is the most efficient way to reach those people. You’re living under a rock if you don’t accept this fact.

Most of the people here knocking these prices have never posted a single tree from their collection that suggest they’re in the market for any of these trees to begin with. Don’t drive your Kia to a Ferrari dealership and tell them they’re overpriced. Your opinion doesn’t count and you will not be welcome on the property.

Shipping is a huge burden, so it’s hard to blame Bob if he doesn’t want to offer this option. He’s making the trees available for sale to the public, so instead of jabbing from the sidelines, help the guy by promoting this to potential buyers. If you’re truly in the market for one of these, match his effort. This is not Amazon Prime.

Bob, best of luck with the sale.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Tell me what happens if these trees do not sell for the asking prices? Are they all going to go to The National Bonsai Collection? I don't understand all the secrecy, last minute pricing, no viewing period etc. Makes me wonder what is going on. For the kind of money being asked the sale should have been handled much more professionally by people that know what they're doing in my opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion if you don't like the rules don't play.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think you mean "prices will be posted on Monday". When I first read this I thought I had to move fast :)

Do you have a more specific location? LA is a big place. Could be anywhere from Long Beach (close) to Calabasas (one hour further away).
It will be in Hidden Hills which is a private gated community- no one gets in if their name is not on the list- those are community rules not mine- so if you want to be there in person you must rsvp through the facebook page message system. I'm trying to figure out a fair way to make buying off site available that is fair to those that show up as well as those off site. These trees aren't for everyone but this is an amazing opportunity for the serious collector to get some serious bonsai.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Probably listed already at all the clubs. Personally, I think these trees are priced at the high end of the market - at least for LA. I was looking at a tree that was originally listed for $800 and thinking - hmmmm maybe. And then the price went up to $8K - which is way above what I would be willing to pay. But if the trees sell... it means they were priced appropriately.
Really from 800 to 8k please pm me which tree it may have been a mistake

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Whatever the process I'm sure it will be accepted. This tree has been worked on for over 50 years by a Chinese master of his art. I can't imagine any public collection not wanting it.
You are probably right but presumption and hubris leads to disappointment.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unfortunately I can't edit the first post but there will be a shipping option. Buyers can pay to have the tree removed from sale location to my nursery where we will crate them at cost- $25 per man hour and buyer will have to make arrangements and pay shippers. Most of these trees will need to be crated -they are too big to be boxed. It would probably cost between $6-800 to ship a pallet of trees to the east coast.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Having recently handled an estate’s disposition of a Bonsai collection, be assured, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than most of you are aware. This situation may be different, but it can be a very emotional process to subjectively appraise a person’s life work, and it is difficult to get one of these organized, priced, photographed, and promoted in a way that all stakeholders can agreee on.

The owner may value the trees above what the market will pay, but be honest; who here wouldn’t do this? I’d take $3000 for my hawthorn, but if I was gone and my wife was suddenly responsible for getting it sold in the Bonsai community, the market would dictate the price, and she‘d ultimately decide to accept an offer or continue caring for it on a daily basis. She would learn that not many people are buying 4- and 5-figure trees, and advertising on the internet is the most efficient way to reach those people. You’re living under a rock if you don’t accept this fact.

Most of the people here knocking these prices have never posted a single tree from their collection that suggest they’re in the market for any of these trees to begin with. Don’t drive your Kia to a Ferrari dealership and tell them they’re overpriced. Your opinion doesn’t count and you will not be welcome on the property.

Shipping is a huge burden, so it’s hard to blame Bob if he doesn’t want to offer this option. He’s making the trees available for sale to the public, so instead of jabbing from the sidelines, help the guy by promoting this to potential buyers. If you’re truly in the market for one of these, match his effort. This is not Amazon Prime.

Bob, best of luck with the sale.
Thanks Brian, though there will be a shipping option- I can't edit first post. I'll crate them and buyer will have to make shipping arrangements.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You are probably right but presumption and hubris leads to disappointment.
Its ok I know for a fact that at least 3 major public collections on the west coast would jump at the chance- we just want to spread the love. :)

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't let the pictures fool you That tree is worth every bit of that. If it doesn't sell it's new home will be the NationalBonsai collection.
You are in bonsai much longer than I do. I don't question how great the tree looks. Personally, I didn't think Chinese elm can command that kind of price. CE is a easy to work with tree... A tree we often recommend for beginner because it response well to chopping, root work and ramification. An car analogy i can think off for this is a supercharged with well built body kit Honda Civic asking for a Ferrari price.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just viewed the FB yesterday. I believe most of the trees were listed with unreachable price! To me, it looks like the owner just does not want to sell his trees at all.
I agree with Vance Wood, As a collector myself, one of the most important factors to weigh the item value is its provenance.
However, I wish the sale is going well.
Thụ Thoại, aka Bonhe

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I didn't think Chinese elm can command that kind of price. CE is a easy to work with tree.
Build one like it and get back to us of you get it done.
I think you'll find that "easy " trees still take a lot of time and effort.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lots of interesting trees and pricing on the Facebook page. I can understand why the seller is taking the approach they're taking. Shipping to online buyers is a huge problem for trees of this size and stature.

I know people online bitch about sellers that won't ship stuff, but sometimes that's just the way it is.

A death or illness that forces sales such as this (and I have no idea if that's the case here, but it certainly feels that way to me having just gone through similar processes with an estate), make trying to get the perfect sale a little silly.

The sheer number of trees shows that quite a bit of time is going into site keeping them watered. Making crates, setting up logistics, etc. take time and money and effort that is probably better spent elsewhere.

Selling off collections can be a painful, not always optimal, thing.

If this collection were mine, I would have kept it off the net.

Nothing but pain and aggravation comes from online sales. People will try to jack you on price off the bat-- renegotiate the price after they agree to the sale- try to wheel and deal with complicated "Ill buy THAT one for x IF you sell THAT one for y" kind of stuff. It sucks.

A lot of times face to face negotiations can be painful too. I hate selling anything. There is just no foolproof way to do it.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Build one like it and get back to us of you get it done.
I think you'll find that "easy " trees still take a lot of time and effort.
As I was saying I don't like Elms, period. So this will never happened.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
instead of jabbing from the sidelines, help the guy by promoting this to potential buyers.

For the price of most of these trees, the right buyer might consider flying in, buying some trees, and renting a moving van to drive out. Having just driven from Southern California to Boston in the last week, it isn't a big deal.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I was saying I don't like Elms, period. So this will never happened.
So since you don't like elms to begin with what makes you an expert on how much one would be worth?
Its recommended for beginners but then so are junipers and trident maples.
Those too easy for you too?

Top Bottom