luvinthemountains Costco grafted ficus

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked this up at Costco on a whim over the winter. It was a big, s-shaped monstrosity but I saw some potential in the first branch. So I cut it back to there a few months ago, and last week hacked the branch back to set the structure. A lot of new buds have popped out so I will see what I can use as they grow.

20220907_103211.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You will have to decide if you want to keep the grafted "Ficus compacta" foliage or the regular microcarpa that will sprout from the fused trunks

I am planning on keeping the graft for now. Standard microcarpa has probably too large of leaves and internodes for the image I am attempting. I have another one of these with a fantastic fused base, where I am using the microcarpa sprouting out to build a new section of trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree grew vigorously over the summer, even with some pruning. But the growth habit of the graft kept it low and tight. It has been in the grow tent for a couple weeks now. I may be able to continue development under lights, given how tight the internodes are.

20221107_163049 (1).jpg

Top Bottom