mail order azaleas Sept 2020

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
was surprised this amazing tree nursery around me hadnt heard of satsuki...i have these 1602770203885.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Pitoon - got a chance to page through that book at a MABA hanging out at David Kreutz's sales table. I am trying to keep myself at a number less than 20 satsuki. I'm already well north of a dozen, I need to keep the brakes on. I won't look at that book, nope, can't make me, I don't want to spend more money. LOL.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Pitoon - got a chance to page through that book at a MABA hanging out at David Kreutz's sales table. I am trying to keep myself at a number less than 20 satsuki. I'm already well north of a dozen, I need to keep the brakes on. I won't look at that book, nope, can't make me, I don't want to spend more money. LOL.
My goal is to hit 350+ satsuki cultivars. Not sure if I can reach it, but if I can keep them in smaller pots I think its doable.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My goal is to hit 350+ satsuki cultivars. Not sure if I can reach it, but if I can keep them in smaller pots I think its doable.

You're a wild man. But that is a doable number, except for sourcing that many, and then the problem of correct identity, and also whether the plant was propagated from cutting wood capable of producing true to type color forms for the named type. It would drive me crazy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You're a wild man. But that is a doable number, except for sourcing that many, and then the problem of correct identity, and also whether the plant was propagated from cutting wood capable of producing true to type color forms for the named type. It would drive me crazy.
I can retire from my federal job when I'm 55 with full benefits. So I'm thinking if I can start building my collection now it should be a somewhat smooth transition if I really want to move forward in opening a nursery.

But yes depending on what cutting was used would determine what flower types it will produce. I wouldn't mind trying to breed some new cultivars as well.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like I will be placing an order for satsuki whips from Japan. Now, I will have to decide on which super fancy brand new cultivar to get.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like I will be placing an order for satsuki whips from Japan. Now, I will have to decide on which super fancy brand new cultivar to get.
What are you thinking to get?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far maybe:
'Hanatsuzuri'
'Renge'
'Kangiten' or 'Tenkoden' or 'Kisshoten' (can't decide, very similar look and genetics, leaning towards 'Kangiten')
'Yubi no Kagayaki'
'Madoka'
'Tateyama Kirin'
'Nichirin' (probably)

Doesn't look like they have 'Yubi Hime', 'Kanuma Kosuzu' or 'Higoromo', sadly.
And something really large flowering with fat petals, but not sure which one they have.

Likely these are pricy even in Japan because they are new and popular and demand is limited because of their newness.
And I need to pay for the 'flower pattern guarantee'. Makes no sense to import a 'Hanatsuzuri' cutting that hasn't been checked for flowers and get a solid red one.

Trying to spread out the genetic base a bit and buy stuff probably (almost) no one has in the EU. They really have a lot and a lot of very fine looking white flower with red. Especially now with smaller flowers.

Can't get excited yet because this may not go through or have additional costs associated with it.

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm late to this party but thought I'd pass along my story. I bought these two from Nuccio's last August. I live in the Chicago area and left them on my balcony as long as the temps were above 25....but then we had that frigid cold spell in February, and I had no other option but bring them inside and close to my sliding glass door. Lo and behold they're in flower already. The one on the left is a Polo, with a Chinzan on the right. That one has three flower buds that are just about to open, towards the front. Obviously some refining to do, but can't beat a delivered price of $21 for the two of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 38

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm late to this party but thought I'd pass along my story. I bought these two from Nuccio's last August. I live in the Chicago area and left them on my balcony as long as the temps were above 25....but then we had that frigid cold spell in February, and I had no other option but bring them inside and close to my sliding glass door. Lo and behold they're in flower already. The one on the left is a Polo, with a Chinzan on the right. That one has three flower buds that are just about to open, towards the front. Obviously some refining to do, but can't beat a delivered price of $21 for the two of them.
Those seem like awfully good prices for those plants. Do they ship?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes they do. I've had 4 shipments from them. They do a really good job. You'll have to be flexible on the cultivar. They have had a high demand in the past year.

cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes they do. I've had 4 shipments from them. They do a really good job. You'll have to be flexible on the cultivar. They have had a high demand in the past year.

cheers
DSD sends
Called them today, probably ordering tomorrow. So, how do they bill you for shipping? The catalogue says they bill you for shipping when they ship and they don't take credit cards. So how does that work?

Gjpawl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Called them today, probably ordering tomorrow. So, how do they bill you for shipping? The catalogue says they bill you for shipping when they ship and they don't take credit cards. So how does that work?
I had to go back and look that up.....a bit of an old fashioned operation. I sent one check for $21 for the plants and "crating" when I placed my order, then a second check when they arrived and there was a bill for $20 shipping. So the price was $20.50 apiece in the end. Still not bad, they're both doing really well.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had to go back and look that up.....a bit of an old fashioned operation. I sent one check for $21 for the plants and "crating" when I placed my order, then a second check when they arrived and there was a bill for $20 shipping. So the price was $20.50 apiece in the end. Still not bad, they're both doing really well.
Thanks! I think it is kind of charming in this world of Paypal, Venmo and such, that they only take checks. When I called, whomever I spoke to was super helpful and friendly. Made me really want to give them some business.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got 3, maybe 4 from them last year. I was pleased.
Singing Tree has healthy azalea stock at a reasonable price, yet they are very limited in satsuki. I’ve bought a couple from them, no issues whatsoever. If you want a wide variety of satsuki, I’d say the first place to call would be Nuccios. Hands down. They are set up to ship where ever. I’ve received a couple dozen from them ad they are as good as you can get for 3 - 4 year old stock.

However if I happened to be near White’s Nursery, I might suggest a drive out to their farm. They don’t do mail order, but a look at their catalog would make me rev up the ole model T if I was in range.

There is a new guy in town who I’ve just ordered from. Shannon Saylor, a shohin kinda guy, at Kusa-farm. He is trying to make a go of it with some very hard to get satsuki cultivars. They are smallish, with limited stock, but if they turnout to be true to type, I’ll be very pleased. But, then again, I‘ve got time to grow things out... at least for awhile!

( I actually debated sharing this, but what the hey, what goes around, comes around!)

Good luck and cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom