Makeshift greenhouse

CatInATree

Sapling
Reaction score
IMG_7723.jpegHelllo, I tried making a little makeshift greenhouse for my ficus seedlings, do you guys think they will like it in there or will it get too hot? Maybe too little air circulation? I just made it with stuff at home but please do share improvements or other tips to increase humidity. I know they like humidity, especially the f. Virens. So I want to provide it the best I can.

They're just there till I can go home over the summer. Then they can be put in an actual greenhouse until the autumn temps get too low.
Thanks for any advice 🙏

You will fry them pretty quickly with that. Get them out of it. It's unnecessary.

Are they sitting on an asphalt shingle roof? That alone is way too hot and will cook the plants on a sunny day imo, even without the plastic tote greenhouse.

Are they sitting on an asphalt shingle roof? That alone is way too hot and will cook the plants on a sunny day imo, even without the plastic tote greenhouse.
Yeah during the day they sit in a cooler spot on the roof, there's leaves from a tree covering them so it's not that hot. Do you recommend moving them?

Yeah during the day they sit in a cooler spot on the roof, there's leaves from a tree covering them so it's not that hot. Do you recommend moving them?

How hot does it get in your area of Sweden this time of year?

Last edited:
How hot does it get in your area of Sweden this time of year?
Right now the temps are about 20°C at day and around 8-10 at night, I take them in during the night, its still a little too cold for them to be our at night.

Definitely skip the makeshift greenhouse, but don't worry about the roof. Even if the black roof doubled that number temperature, a ficus could handle it.

Definitely skip the makeshift greenhouse, but don't worry about the roof. Even if the black roof doubled that number temperature, a ficus could handle it.
Okey, thanks.
The roof isn't hot to the touch, I could put my hand on it and it will feel luke warm, atleast in the half shade where the trees are. In full sun it gets very hot though.

Back
Top Bottom