Mame coral beauty Cotoneaster, 3 month progression

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those leaves are super green. Looking healthy!
Thanks! Yeah I’ve got this one and another that are as easy to keep healthy as it gets. I’ve only had them since last spring so this is the first flower show I’ve had. Pretty sure this growing season will bring an even healthier and more dense canopy.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dude, I’m in love with this tree! Nice work! I had bought a handfulll of Tom Thumb cotoneaster a few years back. None of them survived the repot except one and I gave that up at a club auction cause I was so put off. I don’t know what I did wrong. Maybe repotted too late? They seem to start growing early. This has inspired me to get some cotoneasters going again.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
First tree repot from existing collection. Simply removed old pot and soil and potted it in to a production container. Needs clean up and wiring, but I’ll wait till it’s growing vigorously. Angle seems ok but that smaller trunk/first branch on the right needs sorting out. Hoping to get berries on this one this year. View attachment 286993
This looks lovely 😍

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude, I’m in love with this tree! Nice work! I had bought a handfulll of Tom Thumb cotoneaster a few years back. None of them survived the repot except one and I gave that up at a club auction cause I was so put off. I don’t know what I did wrong. Maybe repotted too late? They seem to start growing early. This has inspired me to get some cotoneasters going again.
Hey Mike! Thanks man! Yeah I’m pretty excited about this tree considering it’s only year 2. Once everything fills in more and it gets berries on it, it’s gonna be sick!

And as to yours, I wish I could say?? I’ve killed other Cotoneaster myself and you may be right. Timing could of had a lot to do with it. With both of these I drastically cutback before doing any root work. And only did heavy root work after a nice batch of leaves had already grown in. Thought would be that leaving the roots to power foliage growth the first year, would allow me to use that foliage to power root growth the next year. Then again, I’ve killed plenty of deciduous evergreen with that mindset also. 😂

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great progression!
Very well done realy like it !
Only cottoneaster i have i put in the ground to thicken the trunk some more but its a "horizontalis" variety and seeing it grow makes wonder if Its suitable compared to yours but ill give it a shot anyway :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progression!
Very well done realy like it !
Only cottoneaster i have i put in the ground to thicken the trunk some more but its a "horizontalis" variety and seeing it grow makes wonder if Its suitable compared to yours but ill give it a shot anyway :)
Thanks Defra! I’ve seen a few horizontalis on line that look great. I’d stick with it! But it never hurts to add another. 😉

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm actually thinning out my collection lol
I'm throwing out some of the projects bought in my first two years that never gonna cut it, to replace their spot on the bench with more promising stuff like a small cottoneaster haha

Btw the fast progression does remind me of my little potentilla don't know if your able to get your hands on one or are able grow them in your climate but if you like this one I recommend the species to you!

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, this tree is great! I have a couple cotoneasters as well and their growth pattern along with flowering and fruiting makes them perfect to keep as small trees.

Really enjoy the shape of this one!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, this tree is great! I have a couple cotoneasters as well and their growth pattern along with flowering and fruiting makes them perfect to keep as small trees.

Really enjoy the shape of this one!
Thanks a bunch! I got lucky with this one in particular. I’ve got another last year, that I created a post for and have cut back recently. Should also look good by the end of the summer. But this one had a primo trunk line and nice base right off the bat!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm actually thinning out my collection lol
I'm throwing out some of the projects bought in my first two years that never gonna cut it, to replace their spot on the bench with more promising stuff like a small cottoneaster haha

Btw the fast progression does remind me of my little potentilla don't know if your able to get your hands on one or are able grow them in your climate but if you like this one I recommend the species to you!
I can see the similarity! I’ll def be on the look out for one also!

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can see the similarity! I’ll def be on the look out for one also!
Very nice. Mine just set flower buds a few days ago. I'm not happy with the structure, but I didn't want to remove more since I did a heavy first root reduction from the nursery container. I'm sure it'll look amazing anyway and I can always fix the branches later.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Evening un wiring session while building a commissioned light fixture. Not only is the wire starting to get real tight but the growth and trunk budding is really popping off. View attachment 303061
Looks great! I'm waiting for the flowering to finish before I consider wiring. Just enjoying it too much right now after a few failures. How long was it before the wire started to bite? Mine is super vigorous, so I don't imagine it was that long.

Top Bottom