Maple stolen from Elandan Garden!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess an upgrade to an electric fence would be in order. !
Or a mountain lion behind the fence. I was thinking how screwed a robber would be breaking into someone’s house who had a cougar. Although it’s rare people have them in their homes it would a story!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is exactly why I tell few people about my bonsai. My yard is fenced and heavily hidden from prying eyes. What they don't know about and can't see they can't steal.

Same and I get nervous any time we have people over to work on the house and they have to go into the back yard

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Same and I get nervous any time we have people over to work on the house and they have to go into the back yard
Me too, depending on how they act. If they seem decent and genuinely interested, I’ll give a tour. Inevitably they’ll ask which one is the oldest.
If they act sketchy, I’ll usually downplay everything as just some trees in pots that aren’t really worth anything and will die if they don’t get watered every day. Often those people tell me bonsai is a P. Nana juniper, I don’t argue and the appeal fades…since I don’t have any of those.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Habitual thieves are an odd lot and they don't necessarily operate on a single premise. Certainly there are people who steal with profit as an incentive, but there are many who steal because it is a game. For the victim it makes very little difference, but from my observations over several decades, the one who makes a game of it is more likely to steal something of greater value simply to chalk it up as a success. These individuals have a serious mental / emotional defect. They can be a stranger but the can just as likely be a good friend. They are often, but not always social friendly and outgoing and often feel remorse for doing something they feel is out of their control. In fact, they feel most things are not under their control and the theft of an expensive item, either individually or collectively, gives them a sense of accomplishment, while the guilt they feel is often not enough to overcome their compulsion. Those who steal with profit as their trigger can be dangerous when confronted. Their motives are more visceral and typically anti social.
Obviously neither is acceptable, but I feel that many people think this whole issue is simpler than it really is.
I think you have met nicer thieves than I have. My life has brought me to circumstances where I commingled with people from all walks of life from the very top of society to the very bottom. Unfortunately the thieves I ran into are very likely to feel zero remorse. Thefts of high value items were often touted as conquests, even when they couldn't sell the items and had to destroy them to get rid of the evidence. However, those are just regular thieves. the high society thieves who use their power to take away wealth from others are even worse. They will flout their loots to torment their victims.

The issue can be as complex or as simple as you regard it. For me, it boils down to people having no regard for others and will take whatever they can, by deception or by force, be it property or even people. The exceptions I may find are when people out of needs take stuff that others have discarded but not yet spent the effort to dispose or when the thieves are addicts driven by their fixes.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Me too, depending on how they act. If they seem decent and genuinely interested, I’ll give a tour. Inevitably they’ll ask which one is the oldest.
If they act sketchy, I’ll usually downplay everything as just some trees in pots that aren’t really worth anything and will die if they don’t get watered every day. Often those people tell me bonsai is a P. Nana juniper, I don’t argue and the appeal fades…since I don’t have any of those.
If I show up at your door, I may not seem decent but I am genuinely interested. I may act sketchy but you can't tell me your trees in pot aren't really worthy anything. I've been following the progression of your trees. :D

Top Bottom