Marco Invernizzi's new tool - "Ichiban"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is perhaps, the silliest thing I've seen in a very long time. Sure, it probably works, but for THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS??? Jesus wept...

Sorry, this dog won't hunt. It's alot of money for not much return. It's not going to make you any better at bonsai and could possibly make you temporarily worse, since you have to relearn how to use it.

It will sell well with Japanophiles, Italophiles and others who have to have the latest and greatest, but here in the backwaters of bonsai, who cares? I guess I'll have to settle using my collection of tools that have taken two decades to assemble. OH WAIT, maybe I should just throw those out and use this thing...:eek::D

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Walks like a duck talks like a duck What makes you think it's a swan.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Walks like a duck talks like a duck What makes you think it's a swan.

Hey jerk, no one ever paid me one red cent to post anything here or anywhere else for that matter. Marco happens to be a friend of mine and I would do the same for any of my other friends. So, unless you know something I don't, keep your opinions about me to yourself.

Harry

Last edited:

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seriously---whats wrong with you people??? Marco puts out a high end tool and you either take it or you leave it??!!! Bill V. said he thought it could be a good tool. Nuff said. Obviously Marco decided to market this tool to the high end of the market as evidenced by the presentation box. Take or leave it---no reason to take a crap on Marco.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously,

Who's crapping on Marco? We're crapping on the tool:D

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If this was a standard Masakuni tool release people would say wow thats cool, or meh. Because its Marco's tool --folks feel free to take shots.

Thats cool--some people dont like Marco's style--but it's also my prerogative to call bullshit when i see it!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uh,not really. If it were a $350 Masakuni "release" I would be just as critical, perhaps even more so, as it might mark an uptick in prices overall. With Marco's sponsorship, this is an obvious niche product. Any way you look at it, that is an enormous amount of money for a tool--even if it does come with a Pawlonia box.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rockm....I wasnt really referring to you in particular. Your objections to the tool were pretty clearly laid out!!! LOL And your reasoning is valid....most of Masakuni tools are way expensive and certainly out of the reach of most practictioners.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Not to poke the fire too much, but I too thought this appeared to be directed solely at Marco for his involvement. I could be completely wrong, of course. I wondered, too, if it would be the same if it were solely a Masakuni tool, or even a Masakuni/Pall tool (to use his name, as he seems to get much respect on this forum).

Here's just one tool I found at Dallas:

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/M8316-masakuni-bonsai-concave-cutter.html

or even this one:

http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/M102-masakuni-bonsai-shear.html

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Marco could have gone to cheaper tool makers and had it mass produced a lot cheaper, but he chose to go with the best bonsai tool maker in the world, all are hand made and will last a life time.

keep it green,
Harry

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Folks, Folks, Folks!

I do not know Marco.
I have never met Marco.
The only interaction I have had with Marco, was to ask to be removed from his mailing list (that as some know occurred automatically sometime back. He quietly apologized and quickly removed my addey).

Marco wanted a better mouse trap for himself. He doesn't care who was going to buy the tool etc... he couldn't care less, much less of some of the buffoons posting here.

Regardless, he now has a tool that "he" wanted and uses and I am sure he is quite happy. Will demand drive the price down who knows and who cares. I seriously doubt that any conversation going on here will affect the future of the Ichiban.

BTW: Does anyone know who owns the patent or has it been patented?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
High demand drives prices UP. Limited availability drives demand up too. IF you're selling to the right audience--which, I'd guess is made up of experienced folks like those on this board.. I'd guess Marco cares very much how his name is used and what it's used for.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Marco could have gone to cheaper tool makers and had it mass produced a lot cheaper, but he chose to go with the best bonsai tool maker in the world, all are hand made and will last a life time.

keep it green,
Harry

I agree. I am not sure but it seems to me that what Marco and Masakuni have done with combining the 8 tools in one is probably add the cost of each tool and then discount it greatly. Masakuni makes very high quality tools that are an investment. If Marcos Ichiban tool is as user friendly as it sounds like it will be (with some getting used to) then the price tag is not that bad considering if you were to purchase each tool of that quality.

I happen to like Marco, am friends with Marco and wish him all the luck in the world with this. I also happen to believe he is by far one of the best artist's out there.....hands down.

Just my thoughts....and no I don't own one and at this time don't plan to......but ya never know wha the future may hold!

Jason

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
then the price tag is not that bad considering if you were to purchase each tool of that quality

Jason
well said.

... just a pair of their quality shears are $200+, is it for everyone? No, but why pee on someones parade. Anyone remember the adjustable vascular clamp on MASH? A need existed (regardless of said need) and a solution was created to meet said need. Is that bad, or are we just pissed that they aren't $ 75 a pair and see all who would flock then?

Envy a capital sin... :D

I don't see the need for a pair, it doesn't mean I need to condemn it.

On a side note you can buy Katana swords for a couple of hundred dollars or you can buy one that slices them all up. Guess what, you will be paying 5 figures for one. Not for everyone but to some, priceless.

I for one like that in consultation he has built a better mouse trap:D

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A masakuni tool is like a Stradivarius violin. Why do people pay millions for a Stradivarius? Because of the quality. Why do people involved with bonsai buy masakuni tools? Because of the quality. We all need to give Marco and masakuni credit for creating this new ingenious tool. If you don't like it than don't buy it, but it is silly to say that it is overpriced. From the looks of it, this tool is certainly a good investment to your collection.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting tool. Once the novetly factor is gone, the price will settle at a point where profits from this products are maximized.

I remember this product mentioned several times by Mike Myers on an SNL show, years ago. Old product, new packaging.:) Here is the clip where this product was mass-promoted the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2BQE0c2734

(watch at 1:44 and 2:07)

Timeless classic.

BONSAI GARAGE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This tool is actually really nice feeing when you hold it. If I could afford it I would have one. Every hobby has its top shelf products. From golf to fishing to whatever. Use what you can afford and drool over what you cant. :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am certainly not stupid for saying it is overpriced. It is overpriced. I've been buying bonsai tools for a very long time. The upper range of those tools, those over $100 (stainless, forged, whatever) ARE overpriced. They're overpriced for a reason--put simply, it's the "the higher the price, the better it must be" syndrome. The upper range of bonsai tools are very nice, but only a little incrementally nicer than the mid range.

This number here is a novelty item. It's nice, well-made (Most Masakuni tools that aren't outsourced are), but I'd hardly say it's worth $150 more than a nice top range sidecutter.

Sure pay for quality, but don't overpay for cachet...

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I would be curious to know how many people buy Tokonama pots, are they worth hundreds more than Chinese or Korean pots, from a distance they look the same. Would you put a $2500 bonsai in a $50 chinese pot, inquiring minds would like to know.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom