Massive privet !

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had lots of roots
These things can take a hard beating and act like nothing happened.

I left some foliage on mines when collected. It was semi evergreen. Did you chopped off all the greens?

Thus should grow like a weed for you...

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
These things can take a hard beating and act like nothing happened.

I left some foliage on mines when collected. It was semi evergreen. Did you chopped off all the greens?

Thus should grow like a weed for you...
I had to ,,,,it was entangled in the chain-link fence .

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Put a bamboo skewer in the soil to check for watering. You don't want to overwater at this stage. Give it time to grow new roots, it'll be cooking by July or sooner

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pay close attention to those big chop points. In a couple of years they'll start to rot. You'll need to manage the areas by carving, treating with lime sulfur and using wood hardener. In the meantime, seal them up!

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Pay close attention to those big chop points. In a couple of years they'll start to rot. You'll need to manage the areas by carving, treating with lime sulfur and using wood hardener. In the meantime, seal them up!
Great minds think a like !
I have already sealed all wounds , and plan on doing some carving A couple of years from now .
But for now the health of the tree is top priority .

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one! Looking forward to future updates on this :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know if you get much freezing weather, but I'd try to keep this beast as frost free as possible all winter. Not too warm, not too cold. Freezing kills cut roots and new roots, even on privet.

And good luck fining a pot to house the tree in the future as well as someone to help you lift it as you get older. Looks to me like you're going to be looking at over 100 lbs of pot/soil/tree...:) Nice find and a ton of potential.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice find!

And good luck fining a pot to house the tree in the future as well as someone to help you lift it as you get older. Looks to me like you're going to be looking at over 100 lbs of pot/soil/tree...:)

Usually 90% + survive lifting.

So you only have a 1 in 10 chance of it killing you.;)

Keep your eyes out for a mica pot. A new one the size you need is probably ~$80 but you can find used ones for half that. It will serve you well until you can find a ceramic pot.

It looks like it is about the same size as my burning bush. It was probably in the 100-120 lb range when I had it in a grow box. Once I got it into a training pot it went down to about 80 lb.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome tree, always wanted to try one of these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom