May have found a treasure...

Reaction score
Values on material are based on the northeast part of the country. I know some people that don't live here find it hard to believe, however, it is just a fact around here. I am not happy about it, believe me.

My assessment was based on a healthy tree that has been thriving for a while and styled. Also that I actually worked at a bonsai nursery. For the record, right now, little junipers with one twist, with or without shari and around 1 inch trunks are now going for $200-$300. A tree that is 10 times older and 50 times the size, healthy and styled would absolutely get the prices I suggested.

As with everything, you have to provide proof so here it is.:D

Rob

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/430

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/527

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/523

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/433

Man...
Gotta say not only is his plant not a Shimp... So these prices don't compare !!!
But, that you all are getting ripped off with those prices !!!
Sucks to Be You !!!
Like they say... a sucker born every minute !!!

Your right Rob... at those prices, this is a 30 million dollar bush !!!

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a rug juniper and I wouldn't dig it for free.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Values on material are based on the northeast part of the country. I know some people that don't live here find it hard to believe, however, it is just a fact around here. I am not happy about it, believe me.

My assessment was based on a healthy tree that has been thriving for a while and styled. Also that I actually worked at a bonsai nursery. For the record, right now, little junipers with one twist, with or without shari and around 1 inch trunks are now going for $200-$300. A tree that is 10 times older and 50 times the size, healthy and styled would absolutely get the prices I suggested.

As with everything, you have to provide proof so here it is.:D

Rob

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/430

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/527

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/523

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/433

Thats $50.00 stuff out here in California. Your on the wrong coast Rob!

Reaction score
Thats $50.00 stuff out here in California. Your on the wrong coast Rob!
Agree !!!
I need to dig some of this crap out of my front yard and
travel up north with it !!!
Maybe I could buy a house on the Jersey Shore from all
the profits I'd make !!!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I remember reading something very similar to what you just wrote, that's why I asked. Can someone verify this? Oh and I may be the only person in the world that doesn't have a club ANYWHERE near them...

Yes, you can cut back now. However, seek out hands on advice, if possible or wait until it is possible. I would only cut off no more than 25% of the entire tree. Next year, if it responds well, you might be able to cut back maybe 15%.

One suggestion I have...To find someone experienced, you might need to pay some decent money. Experienced bonsai artists do not come cheap. However, it would be well worth the money. I do not want to scare you, but sometimes they charge around $100 dollars plus an hour. However, given the great age, health and stature of the tree. Also the very high value potential it holds, it would be well worth it.

Rob

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I have shimps like that I keep because I'm thinking about using them for thread grafting onto something. Maybe I should sell to bonsai west.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never seen one ever work with bonsai technique. Many have tried and they always seem to look like a juvinile shrub with lanky growth and terrible foliage. My father had seven of these with trunks that big and that gnarled. They were well over 25 years each growing along the parking strip next to the street, where thousands of these still grow today around America. I dug one, after he decided to remove them. I fiddled with it for a number of years and gave up, giving it away at a club raffle. We sold a ton of tickets, hey it looked impressive and we all know how bonsai people are. Big wood has to equal killer bonsai right?

But by all means, I would love for you to make a liar of me. Please!

Reaction score
I do not want to scare you, but sometimes they charge around $100 dollars plus an hour. However, given the great age, health and stature of the tree. Also the very high value potential it holds, it would be well worth it.

Rob

Why not pay them a $1,000 dollars an hour... seems like
folks up north like over paying ???

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Al they cost that much over here because someone has to fly out, rent a Uhaul, then drive pback from California a couple times a year. There just isn't stuff being grown for bonsai around here. The prices are definitely too high here for decent material but what can you do. Grow them yourself I guess...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke, not even worth grafting shimpaku to it? I mean with a trunk like that, I think it is worth it. No?

Reaction score
Al they cost that much over here because someone has to fly out, rent a Uhaul, then drive pback from California a couple times a year. There just isn't stuff being grown for bonsai around here. The prices are definitely too high here for decent material but what can you do. Grow them yourself I guess...

Try ordering from California... seems that even with
shipping, you would save enough to buy 2 trees...
:)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I got news for you, by far there are more bonsai growers in the eastern third than in the western third. I think our longer growing season just grows stuff faster and so value is lower.

I can grow tridents to five inch trunks in five years. It would take twice that long in Maine. Maybe more.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, not even worth grafting shimpaku to it? I mean with a trunk like that, I think it is worth it. No?

I guess, if your twenty years old.....

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every tree I buy arrives in the mail so shop around the country. I do. No decent nurseries anywhere close to me. If I'm itching for a new tree I contact multiple nurseries. Most I end up buying come from the western half unless I find a private party in the east needing to sell. Usually the best deals I get are from private parties.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it was in my yard I would work on it in ground. Just for the experience. Then next spring start removal. Finish removal the following spring. Why not give it a shot? Even if you are the only one who ever loves it. It will be beautiful to you. It will give you experience and you may find something else one day that you want to collect. Having that skill will come in handy. And if you kill it - you will have a space to plant another one.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Every tree I buy arrives in the mail so shop around the country. I do. No decent nurseries anywhere close to me. If I'm itching for a new tree I contact multiple nurseries. Most I end up buying come from the western half unless I find a private party in the east needing to sell. Usually the best deals I get are from private parties.

Come check out my Cedar elms Jeremy, I still have a handful for sale and they're going cheap. I'm about to sell my biggest one for $100 tomorrow.

Attachments

• Big Cedar elm.jpg
    Big Cedar elm.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 46
  • Cedar Elm 5.jpg
    Cedar Elm 5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 46

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just private messaged you with my email address. Thanks for reaching out.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If it was in my yard I would work on it in ground. Just for the experience. Then next spring start removal. Finish removal the following spring. Why not give it a shot? Even if you are the only one who ever loves it. It will be beautiful to you. It will give you experience and you may find something else one day that you want to collect. Having that skill will come in handy. And if you kill it - you will have a space to plant another one.
Yes!!!! You say work on it in the ground, you mean cutting/pruning, right?

Top Bottom