Posting problems

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve tried with multiple devices. Loads fine over cellular, but this site, and only this site, will simply not load when connected to WiFi. I have to turn off the WiFi every time I go to the site. It was fine 48 hours ago and then the lights went off. More or less impossible to load images. Dunno why.

Scott
I strictly use WIFI with my Mac Pro so that could be a common thread! My Wifi was upgraded recently and is functioning well!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve tried with multiple devices. Loads fine over cellular, but this site, and only this site, will simply not load when connected to WiFi. I have to turn off the WiFi every time I go to the site. It was fine 48 hours ago and then the lights went off. More or less impossible to load images. Dunno why.

Scott
There’s definitely a ghost in the B-nut machine. I had a two day stretch a couple of weeks ago when I could upload photos, but couldn’t post them, then the problem magically went away. I don’t recall if I tried using cellular.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Add me to the list. Intermittent "try again later" messages when posting

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I strictly use WIFI with my Mac Pro so that could be a common thread! My Wifi was upgraded recently and is functioning well!

Your WiFi has nothing to do with your Internet connection to this site... and everything to do with your WiFi router/signal.

If your Internet modem has a good connection, that's all that matters. If you want to test this, unplug your WiFi router entirely, and plug your PC directly into your Internet modem with an Ethernet cable. You should have a good connection. Next plug your WiFi router back into your Internet modem, and test your connection with Ethernet cable to the router. If that connection is good, only then test your WiFi connection. If you continue to have problems connecting to this site with your WiFi, it is due to your WiFi router / signal and has nothing to do with this web site.

"Try again later" messages are sometimes related to database glitches. Let me check into it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your WiFi has nothing to do with your Internet connection to this site... and everything to do with your WiFi router/signal.

If your Internet modem has a good connection, that's all that matters. If you want to test this, unplug your WiFi router entirely, and plug your PC directly into your Internet modem with an Ethernet cable. You should have a good connection. Next plug your WiFi router back into your Internet modem, and test your connection with Ethernet cable to the router. If that connection is good, only then test your WiFi connection. If you continue to have problems connecting to this site with your WiFi, it is due to your WiFi router / signal and has nothing to do with this web site.

"Try again later" messages are sometimes related to database glitches. Let me check into it.
Thank you.

caerolle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have tried for a couple of hours to make a post and get the obscure error message. My post is kind of longish (~600 words, ~3000 characters) but I can't find any info on how long posts can be. Most places I post tell you if your post is too long.

Also, when publishing the post crashes, it so completely messes up my connection to the site that I have to reboot my computer (all other sites work fine).

edit: so, this post worked, maybe it is the length...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have tried for a couple of hours to make a post and get the obscure error message. My post is kind of longish (~600 words, ~3000 characters) but I can't find any info on how long posts can be. Most places I post tell you if your post is too long.

Also, when publishing the post crashes, it so completely messes up my connection to the site that I have to reboot my computer (all other sites work fine).

edit: so, this post worked, maybe it is the length...

It might be the length of time(?) If you are inactive on the site for 60 minutes, the site will automatically log you off. If you are typing something that you are really thinking about, and you take over 60 minutes to type it, when you hit the "post" button you won't be able to post.

I actually don't know what will happen since I have never tested it. I assume you are prompted to relog into the site, and that the message that you were writing would be auto-saved as a draft that you can return to. That's the way it's supposed to work... but I have never tried it.

caerolle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It might be the length of time(?) If you are inactive on the site for 60 minutes, the site will automatically log you off. If you are typing something that you are really thinking about, and you take over 60 minutes to type it, when you hit the "post" button you won't be able to post.

I actually don't know what will happen since I have never tested it. I assume you are prompted to relog into the site, and that the message that you were writing would be auto-saved as a draft that you can return to. That's the way it's supposed to work... but I have never tried it.

Yes, I am sure that is why my original attempt failed. But after that I was copy-and-pasting the content back in (I copied the content to a Word file after my first attempt crashed) and it would only let me post a few lines at a time, and even that failed 9 times out of 10. It often crashed in a way that I had to reboot my computer to even connect to the site again. Anyhow, doesn't matter, I got it done, but wanted to report the issue. :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, I am sure that is why my original attempt failed. But after that I was copy-and-pasting the content back in (I copied the content to a Word file after my first attempt crashed) and it would only let me post a few lines at a time, and even that failed 9 times out of 10. It often crashed in a way that I had to reboot my computer to even connect to the site again. Anyhow, doesn't matter, I got it done, but wanted to report the issue. :)

That sounds really strange. I have never encountered anything like that.

Regardless, I went in today and did a number of software updates. I also changed some things on our server and rebooted the server, which sometimes clears out some gremlins that shouldn't be there.

Everything seems to be working fine... but it is annoying when I get notices from people who are having trouble, and I can't replicate the issue. I can only guess and try to look for problems. I know that one of the publishers of an add-on product I use was complaining that every time Chrome updated, it caused problems with his add-on. Chrome would update, the guy would fix the product so that it worked with the new version of Chrome... and then Chrome would update again. He called it a software "arms race" :)

caerolle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sounds really strange. I have never encountered anything like that.

Regardless, I went in today and did a number of software updates. I also changed some things on our server and rebooted the server, which sometimes clears out some gremlins that shouldn't be there.

Everything seems to be working fine... but it is annoying when I get notices from people who are having trouble, and I can't replicate the issue. I can only guess and try to look for problems. I know that one of the publishers of an add-on product I use was complaining that every time Chrome updated, it caused problems with his add-on. Chrome would update, the guy would fix the product so that it worked with the new version of Chrome... and then Chrome would update again. He called it a software "arms race" :)
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause you more stress. :( I appreciate your diligence and persistence, though, and your dedication to having a high-quality site! :)

Btw, I usually use Firefox, but even tried using the Chrome-based Edge for this, and same result. Who knows, I am amazed when any of this stuff works at all, lol. I for one do not fear computers taking over when it is such a struggle to get them to even work among several programs written for them!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause you more stress. :(

I'm used to it :) Maintaining a web site is a little like growing bonsai. You're never quite done, and there are times that something is wrong and you don't know what it is.

However there are moments when the stars align and everything looks great. :) As I tell other people about their trees... the key is for me not to break the site the same way twice :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I did not get a chance to read back on the new posts here..

Just wanted to share that for me, lately, can only access the site with data when using my phone.

That started recently.. just wanted to get this in there before I run out of data.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
...must just be certain threads.

I don’t understand my ability to “play here” suddenly being tied only to data and finding wi-fi superfluous..

Maybe it’s my router settings.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
D8FDB139-F8BE-43B5-A63D-F7A0C0FBDF0C.png

I was trying to post a thread about Terra Cotta, clicked “more options” and this happened.

Just trying to help. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I get the same "Oops, browser error" pop up when attempting to reply on a thread I started. I started the thread "composted pine bark" and am still as of right now unable to comment on it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a thought to be aware of, which may be less and more applicable in different parts of the country... With the lockdown bits, more people are working from home and there is much higher strain on ISP networks, across the world.

This can manifest itself in the strangest ways. I work in IT and I can tell you this from experience. ISPs will also slow down and change things about your internet connection anytime, without telling you. To tell you would cause more problem than its worth, and if asked, they will never admit it. So you are left guessing.

Top Bottom