mica vs plastic pots

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A European just had a award winning tree that was displayed in a custom metal multi pot--pretty cool. Walter has tried metal in the past and made comments about concerns of heating but it was some sort of giant shell monstrosity. Over the years I have used a lot of metal pots no problem. Nick has tried certain metal things which he says won't work because the metal itself seems to tend to be uninhabitable (brass,copper). Just go to an old dump--trees grow through and in everything
Interesting... I would like to see the custom metal multi pot. I'll have to do some searching this weekend. Now, when you say you have used metal pots over the years were they specifically bonsai pots or were they intended for other purposes like for example; vacuuming?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting... I would like to see the custom metal multi pot. I'll have to do some searching this weekend. Now, when you say you have used metal pots over the years were they specifically bonsai pots or were they intended for other purposes like for example; vacuuming?
By the way, I am being serious :)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, suggestion was made, first find a metal mix that is not affected by soil.
Then have a forge cast the shape.
Also look for a dark finish, that is not too metallic.

Not sure about the heat part, as metal can be almost paper thin, the soil may just cool the surface.
We have used folded galvanised sheets for pots down here.
Works.
Good Day
Anthony

Reactions: Vin

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
By the way, I am being serious :)
I have never seen nor ever used a metal pot whose design and intent was to grow bonsai in. I have used metal pots contrived from objects intended for other use--usually old subtle things, because they were proportioned just right or eroded perfectly.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about something like this:
x354-q80.jpg
but with a solid tube or plain ceramic instead of the candle?
Or this if steampunk is your thing:
il_214x170.600116521_1bmi.jpg

These are more traditional:
Metal_Flower_Pot_3-pieces_Set.jpg
strong_style_color_b82220_metal_strong_planters_flower_pots_boxes.jpg

I actually really like these Art Nouveau ones, but maybe that's just me:
5-Marked-Chinese-Dyansty-Palace-font-b-Copper-b-font-lotus-font-b-Flower-b-font.jpg
8540bf28674aa4965771dd1e88b5e472.jpg
art-nouveau-bronze-bulb-planter-0_thumbnail.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I would like something like this more

Attachments

• crushed metal.jpg
    crushed metal.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 36

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

How about Sean Smith's innovative display at the fourth national show in Rochester?

image.jpeg

Wasn't that done with a metal pot?

Scott

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about Sean Smith's innovative display at the fourth national show in Rochester?

View attachment 90544

Scott
Yeah, I remember reading about it and all the controversy it created. This thread sure has taken a unexpected turn for the better.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, I remember reading about it and all the controversy it created. This thread sure has taken a unexpected turn for the better.

Like a lot of great art, I bet it did make people uncomfortable. Some who saw it loved it, others hated it. I bet it was difficult to find someone for whom it didn't generate strong feelings. Metal is not typically used in bonsai display, so a display with so many metal elements (pot, stand, jin, etc) is pretty shocking. I've only seen it in pictures, but the image has stuck with me. I wish I was there to have seen it in person.

- Scott

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

View attachment 90544

Wasn't that done with a metal pot?

Scott
It was a ceramic pot that was broken and "soldered" back together. I think the irony is that Sean, a woodworker, replaced any expected wood element in the display with metal. It wasn't a great bonsai, but definitely intriguing and in-your-face. It was also exactly across from my tree in the display. Kathy did an interesting and surprisingly thoughtful critique on it.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It was a ceramic pot that was broken and "soldered" back together. I think the irony is that Sean, a woodworker, replaced any expected wood element in the display with metal. It wasn't a great bonsai, but definitely intriguing and in-your-face. It was also exactly across from my tree in the display. Kathy did an interesting and surprisingly thoughtful critique on it.

Fascinating. I'd assumed the pot was metal too. You had your Hawthorn there didn't you? I bet between your great tree and Sean's fascinating display there were a lot of visitors to your aisle. I had planned on attending, but had to go on a business trip and missed it. I would have liked to have heard What Kathy had to say.

Scott

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You know something about this that I don't?
Thermal mass? Density?

"Specific heat" is the technical term you seek. Ever notice how a swimming pool can feel "cold," even if the water is actually the same temperature as the air? Water has a high specific heat (or, 'heat capacity') and can immediately take heat from your skin, causing it to feel colder. Your physical perception reflects your skin's temperature, not the actual temperature of the thing you are touching. In a hot oven, you can comfortably touch the cookies but not the metal baking sheet - they are the same temperature, but one has a better ability to give up some of that heat to your finger quickly!

I don't know what implications that may have for pots, but I wanted to point out that just because something "feels" hotter than something else does not mean that it actually has a higher temperature.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fascinating. I'd assumed the pot was metal too. You had your Hawthorn there didn't you? I bet between your great tree and Sean's fascinating display there were a lot of visitors to your aisle. I had planned on attending, but had to go on a business trip and missed it. I would have liked to have heard What Kathy had to say.

Scott
From my fallible memory, she wanted to see better interaction between the foliage and the Shari, maybe less foliage mass, and taller in height. She was disappointed in the relative lack of creativity in the accent. She wanted spikier plants, maybe some bike chain or barbed wire, a better pot, and the disk it sat on was weak. The disk was like a coaster; reflective, with a metal coiled spring around the edge. To her, I think she was feeling a Harley Davidson vibe, and wanted the accent to be harsher.

It was my hawthorn in that show. In the video, you can see it in the mirror behind Sean's display at about 3:20, and my display at about 4:50:
It was really quite the experience and I really hope to attend the 5th, and see a lot of friends and meet a few new ones.
image.jpeg image.png

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed. They are basically plastic. I went through a spell of loving them that set me back about $2500.
Hey, what's up with the new Avatar? Looks like it's from a piece of Native American pottery or something. A Thunderbird maybe? Pretty cool whatever it is.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, what's up with the new Avatar? Looks like it's from a piece of Native American pottery or something. A Thunderbird maybe? Pretty cool whatever it is.
It is my new chop mark. Well it is my first chop, as I was just signing my pots. It is a Thunderbird, good eye. Thanks!
The design was presented to me by someone who's design ideas I greatly appreciate.
There will only be a few with this exact chop due to the impression is opposite of what it needs to be to release properly.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a nice blue oval roasting pan at Wal-Mart last time I was there. Hmmmmm.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is my new chop mark. Well it is my first chop, as I was just signing my pots. It is a Thunderbird, good eye. Thanks!
The design was presented to me by someone who's design ideas I greatly appreciate.
There will only be a few with this exact chop due to the impression is opposite of what it needs to be to release properly.
Thunderbird! Man, talk about Bonsai in America. You can't get more American than Native American. That is one cool chop for sure. Isn't the Thunderbird believed to control water for the earth or something like that?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
implications

Like wether the soil would accept the heat as readily as your finger.

Even so......another implication....is picking it up in haste.....burning the shit out of yourself.....and dropping your tree!

Kind of falls in with my earlier untyped thinking of.....use what you got....till you get something better.....but don't seek to use it....and not for good trees!

Kind of limiting.

I'm about same same same....
It's way easier to get a feeling for watering if everything is the same.

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pulled up to the gas pump last night and this was sitting on top of the pump. Wood, no hole.image.jpegpretty cool, but not a pot. No, I didn't take it.

Top Bottom