Moss Air Layers

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For everyone that is using spag moss to air layer, what is your process for removing the moss? Since it never breaks down I assume you want to get it out at some point. When, how and the other details are appreciated. Thank you.

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Roots in the layer are usually too fragile to remove the moss during the layer removal and the first potting. They break too easily, therefore I only try to lay down the roots in the radial manner IF POSSIBLE AT ALL (mostly, even trying to untangle the outside roots can be problematic).

I remove as much of the moss as possible during the first repotting, and the rest of it during the second one, if anything is still there.

jonf

Seedling
Reaction score
The only way is a bare root repot, usually a year or two after separating. That's why I've started using pure perlite for air layers, no organic material to get rid of later and (anecdotally) better success.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For everyone that is using spag moss to air layer, what is your process for removing the moss? Since it never breaks down I assume you want to get it out at some point. When, how and the other details are appreciated. Thank you.
I cut up/chop my sphagnum moss before using for any air layer. It makes it easier to remove once the roots are strong enough to handle slight root work after separation.

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use a cheese grater* with the sphagnum moss block before using it. The fragmentation does not affect at the moss properties, but it's easier to separate from roots.

metal-grater-wooden-handle-on-260nw-1164374611.jpg

Top Bottom