Moving my large bonsai collection... again!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We know lots of people that moved away to San Francisco, Texas, Seattle, Florida, Atlanta area and all of them came back because they thought that Michigan was best for a good family life, schooling, etc. Summer is beautiful. The great lakes are astounding. Many public schools are excellent (Novi, Northville, Bloomfield...).
Not to mention the cherry on top, Ann Arbor! In state tuition to one of the best schools in the world set in one of the most liveable cities is hard to beat!
But, obviously. I'm biased. 🙃 😁

My objection is primarily climate/weather based. I'm just getting tired of long dark cold snowy winters! I've spent enough of my life that way, now I want to be someplace where I can enjoy the outdoors without 5 or 6 layers for almost half the year. I do have to agree that summers (and fall for the most part) are beautiful up here and easy to tolerate. Warm but rarely oppressively hot and lots of sun most years.

I spent about a week in Michigan for an art workshop about 10 or 15 years ago. Traverse City, beautiful area. I could see spending summers in a place like that.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The area around Traverse city is very nice.
I used to love Kalkaska County and Manistee.
inland to Crawford County…
Lake Michigan, and the rivers, trout fishing and morel hunting. That’s what I miss about up north.
but down here has its pluses too, I haven’t shoveled snow or scraped the frost off my truck window since 2008.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those pics make my back hurt thinking about how much it will take to get the trees resting in their new home!
Enjoy the new layout
And the construction

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Those pics make my back hurt thinking about how much it will take to get the trees resting in their new home!
Enjoy the new layout
And the construction
Those holes are about 2‘ x 2‘ and 20 inches deep, Filled with crushed concrete, packed down tight, leveled, then blocks arranged on top… Each block weighs 22 pounds. Motrin is my friend right now :).
719DE0A2-2CB0-4DF5-91CA-C675F1C7F290.jpeg8F1A3BBF-CE62-43B5-97EE-C742B107A2F9.jpeg504AB729-53CC-4522-840E-5B9991992DEF.jpeg1E4F395C-458B-46EC-9716-45FB7F0AB972.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's gonna be great! Lots of work, but looks like a beautiful display area in the making. I'll have to make the trip up sometime! Tired dogs are good dogs, how I miss mine... Bet you are still missing Mr. G.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Just remember why footers in Michigan footers go down 48”.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Just remember why footers in Michigan footers go down 48”.
Yeah, I grew up in MA where the frost line was typically 36"-40". In SE MI, ideally, I'd pour a concrete footing 42" deep- not gonna do that! Second best option is what I'm doing and If I get heaving, I can always take apart the block column, level the base with sand and rebuild. We'll know in a few years if I'll be rebuilding these every spring... hopefully not.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, I grew up in MA where the frost line was typically 36"-40". In SE MI, ideally, I'd pour a concrete footing 42" deep- not gonna do that! Second best option is what I'm doing and If I get heaving, I can always take apart the block column, level the base with sand and rebuild. We'll know in a few years if I'll be rebuilding these every spring... hopefully not.
Small angle changes can be very effective. Embrace the character.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure your knees and ankles will appreciate the flat-ground compared to your previous location.

And looks like great sun exposure and no large trees close to the benches.

Hot spot for horts in shorts! :cool:

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My crew are a a lazy bunch of workers View attachment 425002
I miss my GSP, his name was Sherwood. I got him just outside of Nottingham.
Yea. I was young.
He was my best friend for many years.
he worked with me as a gamekeeper and falconer in England, then back to the states in Sounth Dakota, working in a canoe shop, University and Grad School in Michigan, he was with me to work and school every day. He finally passed at 18 in Maryland.
an old friend once said Sherwood was the smartest person he knew.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
GSP are great dogs, high energy and smart.
I have had a few over the years, most were bird dogs in south FL when quail were in number that could be hunted.

Now in NC I use them for game trail dogs, and squirrel patrol.

Attachments

• 846AA6BF-541C-4405-99C7-C433D4F3914E.jpeg
    846AA6BF-541C-4405-99C7-C433D4F3914E.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom