multiple air layers?

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi fellow bnuts, easy question for those who know. Can I do more than one air layer on a single tree?
I just got a veriagated ficus with the thickest trunk Ive seen for sale, maybe 2- 21/2 inches. Its lowest branch is about 15" from the soil. Its about 4' tall. Above the first branch there are severel places Id like to air layer because it took me months to find this tree. Instead of just chopping at the low branch. It even has a curvy part just above where one would chop which should be another cool trunk. But can I do a layer down low and a couple above that on some branches? If pics would help I will post some. But I just want to know if I can air layer the trunk and some branches at the same time, in general. The man who sold it said I could but I want the concensus of my fellow bnuts before I do something bound to fail. I have rooting hormone, plenty of coco husks to shred for packing around the wounds, alcohol to kill the cambium (Ive had bridging probs before) and seran wrap. Do y'all think thats a good enough start? If I need something else, I will wait to start untill I can get it. Thanks for your advice and time.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes you can, but:

you have to understand how the sap flows.
The sap going down (from the leaves to the roots) must be able to flow otherwise it won't work, so no 2 layers on the same sap path...
Fast, ugly, sketch: red 'YES', blue 'NO' (in the same time I mean)

layers.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes you can. But there need to be leaves connected to the llayering section. So between locations hat you put a layer, you need a few branches with foliage.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you! The guy who sold it to me said no problem but I had a gut feeling that as you said, not "inline" so to speak. He had me ready to layer where I was going to chop, on the main trunk plus up higher. But sounds like my gut was right, no sap would get to the higher layers. So they would just all fail.
That leads to a new question. Should I do just the trunk for now? Or higher and do several, wait till there seperated and do the trunk later? I can see getting two trunks that I (as a newer bnut with no access to prebonsai) can see making decent starts. The rest would be like cuttings. Should I trim off some leaves above the layer sites to reduce water needs or leave them as food for the new trees to survive the layering? Ive layered a f benjamina before, but this one is veriagated and in my experiance here they are not nearly as tough. Of all the cuttings Ive taken, Ive never had one live long, from other trees. I will try some with this one but I think air layers will be better, or I hope so anyway. Thanks again!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You CAN do them inline, as long as you have foliage / branches between them. There needs to be active photosynthesis supplying the wounded area with auxins. So from the top canopy you would not get them, as theupper layer location would capture them. However, if there are branches below the upper layer location, the lower would be supplied from them. Upwards flow of sap from the roots is much deeper in the trunk, and will pass the layer locations (Which is the whole reason why layering works: The tree keeps supplying the leaves with water & nutrients).

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, thanks. I think a couple pics may help after all so I took some. Id like to layer off the branches going up. And maybe preserve the kink in the trunk as the lower part of another tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20160323_143109.jpg
    IMG_20160323_143109.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 128

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so heres the potential subject for torture. Should I air layer or just sawsall above the low branch and try chasing it down right now? I bought it hoping to chop it but maybe its worth the wait to have more trees, if they would live. Maybe because of having a different "mother" tree, this one is tougher. The last one didnt take the chop well and never did backbud even with foliage above. Then it died. But it was 1/2" thick, no big deal. This is the fattest one Ive ever seen for sale. Anyway thanks for the guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_20160323_143138.jpg
    IMG_20160323_143138.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20160323_143058.jpg
    IMG_20160323_143058.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 102

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feels like this is not a lot bigger than 1/2 inch?

In any case.. I would layer the trunk, and let everything else there. I would want to let this plant grow a lot thicker before going bonsai on it. From the pictures, it does not look too strong though. Perhpas just get it growing stronly first?

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The
Feels like this is not a lot bigger than 1/2 inch?

In any case.. I would layer the trunk, and let everything else there. I would want to let this plant grow a lot thicker before going bonsai on it. From the pictures, it does not look too strong though. Perhpas just get it growing stronly first?
The low part is about 21/2" thick at the base. Then maybe 1" where the kink is. Not thick enough? I guess it can go into one of my biggest planter/pot and depending on how the roots look maybe on top of a plate. I feel like changing the clay/dirt soil would help and it would be better off in a freely draining mix of gravel and succulant/cactus soil.
I think its sad and pouting for two reasons. It was in a box truck on the side of the road all morning where I bought it. The other reason could be the change in elevation from the lowland coming up to 1300 meters, fairly quickly. Its always a bit cooler up where I live. Im thinking of leaving it alone for a week and if it looks good I can repot it. Then air layer the part just above the first branch. I know its not going to be bonsai anytime soon but thats ok. I have lots of trees that need time and work. Thats why I buy them, for something to do because "paradise" is pretty boring sometimes and I have nothing but time. I had to add this tree to my collection of ficus species. I collect any species thats got small enough leaves. I collect all the strange colors of bougie that I find and today had to decide between a soft pink one or the veriagated ficus. The best part of today was meeting another nursery owner. And this one has tons of types og trees, and will hunt potential bonsai materials. If I had bonsai to sell, he would buy them from me. Thats not going to be anytime soon..
I think with water and two days rest this tree will be fine. They get sulky from road trips, up and down and in A/c for a while is all it takes. An hour in A/C wont kill it but makes lots of trees sad down here. They bounce back.

Top Bottom