My biggest black pine.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good. Pull those long needles and use some wire to arrange the shoots into pads to give them each a spot in the sun.
Pot? Footed chocolate rectangle.
3A838CBA-9630-4530-81C6-6A51158748A3.jpeg

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decandled this summer. In need of additional wire to sort it. Repot in the spring. Any suggestions on what type of pot it would pair well with is appreciated. I like the shape of the pot it is in, but it is cracked so it’s time to move it to simething else. Don’t mind the cat.

View attachment 165992

View attachment 165993

Scratching post and kitty litter container in one. What will those silly humans think of next.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Work looks awesome, much better than mine!:p;):D:D:D:D:D:D
Crown and a little below that seems TOO healthy and dense, that lowest branch needs a little help.
I think looking at different angles with some wedges strategically placed for the "look" would be cool before the next repot. Something more dynamic is in there, I think.:cool::cool::cool::cool::confused::D:D:D:D
Looks super happy, yeah Pinus!!!:D:D:D:D

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crown and a little below that seems TOO healthy and dense, that lowest branch needs a little help.
I think looking at different angles with some wedges strategically placed for the "look" would be cool before the next repot. Something more dynamic is in there,

Oh yea def bushy now. I skipped decandling and really want it to build up some steam. Below the crown is super dense. In fall after old needles are pulled I think with some more wire it will look sorted. That lowest branch is a problem. I don’t think it will ever be a good first branch but I’m not I’d be happy with the empty spot it would leave behind.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yea def bushy now. I skipped decandling and really want it to build up some steam. Below the crown is super dense. In fall after old needles are pulled I think with some more wire it will look sorted. That lowest branch is a problem. I don’t think it will ever be a good first branch but I’m not I’d be happy with the empty spot it would leave behind.

Very nice JBP! I have a few comments about it that I would consider if it were my tree, and it may appear that I’m being overly critical. Please don’t be offended, I’m just trying to help elevate the tree to the next level.

Good idea to give the tree a rest from decandling every so often, I’m giving my avatar tree a break this year, too!

And now for the critique:

That lowest branch on the right: it looks to be shaded by the branches above, and it appears to be moving towards the back.

It’s wired, can you redirect it so that it’s brought more forward? And move the branch above it to the back so that it’s not shaded? That would make it a better first branch. It appears to be coming off the outside of the curve, which is good.

The foliage on the left is getting to much, too visually heavy, and the branches are too long for the size of the trunk. Don’t get me wrong, I love bushy, dense JBP. But the foliage has to be consistent with the trunk a really massive trunk can visually support long dense branches. A tall thin trunk should have short sparce branches. Yours is in the middle, as trunk girth goes, and so is like to see a bit shorter on the branches. (It’s not the needle length, it’s the BRANCHES are too long)!

And then, the potting placement. You have it potted on the right side on the pot, which is ok if you want to keep the left as the key branch. If you want to make the lowest right branch the key branch, move it to the other side of the pot.

Again, I think you’ve done a great job with this JBP! Addressing the issues I noticed would bring it along even further!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Solid points @Adair M

Bringing that branch forward should help. I'll have to take a look at the current wiring thats been on there for over a year and a half to see if changes could be made. It may have to be done at the fall rewire.

As for the long branching, I think if decandled and old needles pulled it might present different visually. But yes, i'd love some tighter branching with foliage closer to the trunk. A cut-back is certainlyinevitable but i didn't think it was there just yet. More to look at in the fall/late winter.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Solid points @Adair M

Bringing that branch forward should help. I'll have to take a look at the current wiring thats been on there for over a year and a half to see if changes could be made. It may have to be done at the fall rewire.

As for the long branching, I think if decandled and old needles pulled it might present different visually. But yes, i'd love some tighter branching with foliage closer to the trunk. A cut-back is certainlyinevitable but i didn't think it was there just yet. More to look at in the fall/late winter.
Yeah, even with decandling every year, the branches to get a bit longer every year! They creep out on ya! And then, you have to do a cut back! I would say, about every 5 years or so.

Here’s my tree before and after the cutback:
Before: I had just finished pulling needles!

553821C5-1238-4DBE-B82D-AC607B7B2435.jpeg

After:

85450A8D-52B2-4896-A029-2F7F87401919.jpeg

The lowest branch on the right from above:

Before:

B2753F5C-9741-4A84-9048-63824D6C092B.jpeg

After:

618628C5-34DD-4D76-B10E-D3F7D92C2616.jpeg

We left the stubs, I used them to guy wire the former side branch to the right into the position where the removed branch was.

More carnage:

2D068D2A-0B7B-44DA-82F9-37E37AE64433.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, even with decandling every year, the branches to get a bit longer every year! They creep out on ya! And then, you have to do a cut back! I would say, about every 5 years or so.

Here’s my tree before and after the cutback:
Before: I had just finished pulling needles!

View attachment 202285

After:

View attachment 202284

The lowest branch on the right from above:

Before:

View attachment 202281

After:

View attachment 202282

We left the stubs, I used them to guy wire the former side branch to the right into the position where the removed branch was.

More carnage:

View attachment 202283
It is the same with Mugos as well. Beautiful Pine Adair!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this one got repotted. It will be in the same pot for another two years Until the next repot. Didn’t re wire or adjust anything last fall so it looks much the same. But the sun was out so I set up my photo studio.
C79857C0-6DD5-4734-AE16-A4095A9DAD06.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Continuing to update a few threads. This one is not as vigorous and candles are weaker in some spots, not sure about decandling this year. Some branches have become leggy and it may be better off just letting it get some strength in preparation for a fall cutback. It’s also potted slightly off center toward the front of the pot which may be affecting things on front growth, I’m not sure.

426C7B38-4102-4B2A-B7AA-D44664074757.jpeg49279AEB-E44F-4E6A-9A17-356F4B64E7F8.jpegD1798CED-670D-4B9F-A3B8-DA5D4241A7C1.jpeg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May 21st and needles just barely beginning to emerge off the candle. But at least the candles are 4-7 inches tall. Some pictures in a bit. Overnights just beginning to get out of the 40's. I wonder if the slightly cooler weather in my area might be the cause for me, possibly your local' as well?

Top Bottom