My ghastly grafted maple

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really like this tree! I'm a big fan of cutleaf for bonsai. So wispy. I've got one, but it's still a long way from bonsai status.
I enjoy it quite a bit, it'll need to be reduced more in the spring and at that time I'll also repot again into a shallower pot and try to get the remainder of clay out if this thingsounds rootball, it's gotta be at least 150 pounds when watered!!!o_O:confused:

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Juds, I think you are way more gutsy than I could ever be! :eek:
Well I did manage to make space in the tree house so it'll be kept above 24° now. I've wired most of it, just need a backdrop to get a better picture. Still some minor adjustments and a few bigger bends that'll wait until spring.20161124_124340.jpg
Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Juds, I think you are way more gutsy than I could ever be! :eek:
with his climate, and short cold periods, I don't think its much different than mine in my cold house. And I've wired early in winter, so thats what my answer is based on.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Judy has been successful wiring deciduous over the winter.

Boon recommends removing wire from deciduous if you experience very cold weather. The wire retains and concentrates the cold, and can result in branch loss. Per Boon.

If you've been successful with whatever your practice is in the past, by all means continue.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Boon recommends removing wire from deciduous if you experience very cold weather. The wire retains and concentrates the cold, and can result in branch loss. Per Boon.

If you've been successful with whatever your practice is in the past, by all means continue.
I think the coldest I got at my house last winter was 13°f and that lasted for maybe an hour, 14°f was the low the winter before that. On that 13° night my tree house was at 22° so not bad at all. I did wire quite a few trees last fall before storing them for winter and apparently had no problems that I could tell.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Again, I think that it's prolonged cold periods that cause branch dieback. As you only experience short cold snaps I don't think you should have trouble. Better safe than sorry though, so if I gave the impression that I'm cavalier about the issue, that is not what I meant to come across as.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
with his climate, and short cold periods, I don't think its much different than mine in my cold house. And I've wired early in winter, so thats what my answer is based on.

My bad! Of course he is down in New Mexico which I failed to see. :confused: Yes I would agree that it would be fine to wire. :)

With that said, once again I would highly recommend to anyone in areas with frigid winter temps to NOT wire during winter unless you can properly protect your maples. I am sure people have done it with no issues but I believe you are asking for trouble!

Top Bottom