Napa Oil Dry part no. 8822

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Please keep in mind 8822 is calcined DE (albeit real small). Calcined DE will hold up MUCH better and in fact is more porous than non-calcined (that's why they calcine it). Many other absorbents are either non-calcined (will turn to mush see optisorb) or fuller's earth (Montmorillonite clay) or Bentonite clay and will turn to mush. If the clay is calcined but not vitrified (turface is vitrified and nearly non-porous) it MIGHT be okay. This is a nutshell of the issue.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
:mad:
I've been using 8822 for a couple of years now and been happy with it. I bought some more from my local NAPA but it is not same stuff I had been getting. What I am used to is pale off white until it gets wet, then it is a rainbow of browns, kind of pretty. The new stuff stays light gray and is much softer, I can crush a wet piece into clay mush with my fingers. And it is sticky, a handful of my mix will now hang together a little bit when I squeeze a handful. I will use up what I got this time but I'm not sure what I am going to do in the future.
And yes, I checked if I got the right stuff. Bags are identical to previous packaging.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've been using 8822 for a couple of years now and been happy with it. I bought some more from my local NAPA but it is not same stuff I had been getting. What I am used to is pale off white until it gets wet, then it is a rainbow of browns, kind of pretty. The new stuff stays light gray and is much softer, I can crush a wet piece into clay mush with my fingers. And it is sticky, a handful of my mix will now hang together a little bit when I squeeze a handful. I will use up what I got this time but I'm not sure what I am going to do in the future.
And yes, I checked if I got the right stuff. Bags are identical to previous packaging.
You guys have to all realize that this kind of product is designed to absorb crap spilled on a work-shop floor; as such there are no codes saying it has to be made of anything in particular and have any kind of moisture retention assigned to it that law demands must be met etc. Therefore it is possible that there may be a great deal of variability to it, mostly at the manufacturer's fancy. I don't think they care if it is not fired at too high a temperature it will break down pissing of bonsai people. JMHO

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep, I know all that. This is mostly a heads up for the people who use it.
And no matter what they think their stuff is for, they used to have a product I liked and now they don't.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, I know all that. This is mostly a heads up for the people who use it.
And no matter what they think their stuff is for, they used to have a product I liked and now they don't.

James are you sure they sold you the NAPA Oil Dry. Actually Part #8822? True diatomaceous earth? The reason I ask is our local NAPA started carrying some off brand crap that was in a bag similar to 8822. It took 4 stores before I finally got real 8822.

61951996-1F0E-42DE-BB4F-F5921F7D3AD7.jpeg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I’ve found the same problem..

I’ve bought six or so bags (all definitely 8822) in the past year or so, and one is total garbage. Seems to have taken some months to deteriorate...but those with the bad batch, it takes little pressure in the hand to turn it to mush. Beware indeed!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been using it for 3 years with good results. Mostly it comes in the gray form, although not soft and crumbly.........YET. The last two bags are various browns and tans and seem to be very hard. A cup of the new stuff is soaking as we speak. I guess it's just a natural product and will vary batch to batch. Buyer beware. Seems to be the same problem with akadama.

The source for my other favorite, haydite, seems to have dried up. A large nursery in Baton Rouge used to sell it in 40lb bags but has since stopped. It's made locally but the only way I've heard to get it is in half-ton bags or bulk truck loads.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It may be blasphemy, but does anyone here use Turface? Seems many sneer at it, but Walter Pall lists it as an alternative to the "baked loam" he uses.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I still have several Junipers in a mixture of Fullers Earth 40%, Pearlite 20%, lava rock 20%, and aquarium charcoal 20%. I haven’t lost one in this mixture and had some nice growth this fall. The freezing weather this winter will be the final test to see if I use this mixture again. The Fullers Earth is available at Tractor Supply.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never had a problem with D E.
Probably been using it longer than most.
Still have some from years ago in curculation.
It flat out kicks ass.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
We don't use that for the soils. He made to holding. Hai He also holding thing to make sick tree, make the grow not so good thing in tree pots.. Hai He not made for bonsai.

We know that for little some more money we can get correct materials for soils. Hai ,,this is the concern and priority. Hai Can we sacrifice 100 year for some coin? This is not of respect. Hai

Make save the money is not the good for bonsai. Thank you. Recommendation is using the Pumice, Akadama and he lava rock. We can use some Kanuma some too. Hai If the save money the we make buy big bag of correct soil. We can saving for this. Hai

I think maybe the cat come make the pee on tree if using. Hai Hai

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
We don't use that for the soils. He made to holding. Hai He also holding thing to make sick tree, make the grow not so good thing in tree pots.. Hai He not made for bonsai.

We know that for little some more money we can get correct materials for soils. Hai ,,this is the concern and priority. Hai Can we sacrifice 100 year for some coin? This is not of respect. Hai

Make save the money is not the good for bonsai. Thank you. Recommendation is using the Pumice, Akadama and he lava rock. We can use some Kanuma some too. Hai If the save money the we make buy big bag of correct soil. We can saving for this. Hai

It would be nice to understand what you are saying, unfortunately a translator program is no good for translating Bull Shit, which most of this sounds like.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It would be nice to understand what you are saying, unfortunately a translator program is no good for translating Bull Shit, which most of this sounds like.

Maybe you can sabe the money. Hai

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
#1 Problem he breaking down too fast, not so good.
#2 problem PH=8.0
#3 Problem Low quality thats why he cost effective for cleaning spills.

I think if you using here some Sensei knock your head with foot. Hai Hai

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Thought I would never put anyone on ignore no matter what, but always inadvertently read dude's post which gives headaches for some reason.

Ignore, and DONE. hai hai!:p

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
James are you sure they sold you the NAPA Oil Dry. Actually Part #8822? True diatomaceous earth? The reason I ask is our local NAPA started carrying some off brand crap that was in a bag similar to 8822. It took 4 stores before I finally got real 8822.
Again, yes I checked it.IMG_1115.JPG

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
order optisorb from grainger. its cheap and you can have it in a few days. and it better than the napa stuff, larger particle size.
The Optisorb I have used is the same soft crap, if a little bigger particles.

Top Bottom