need help - maple chlorotic leaves, epsom salt concentration?

derek7745

Chumono
Reaction score
I read the Montreal 2012 water analysis
i really appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me! Thank you so much for that, and for all your solid advice and reassurance:)

How is the pine mulch composted? Has it been pH adjusted? Did it have FeSo4 added to it? Did it have copper added to it?
I don't know, but i buy it from vineland nursery, who specializes in japanese maples (400+ cultivars) and have been doing great for 30+ years with this soil. I only use it for my potter maples, and out of 20 or so potted landscape maples only 1 is affected, a tango kaku. and out of many many maples in the aforementioned bonsai mix, only 4 are affect (3 now, one seems to have fully recovered)

I appreciate all the detail, but for landscape and for bonsai, i use a very standard and very commonly used substrates - i'n not one to star making my own mixes :)

LanceMac10

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha....my advice might not be as solid as folks you listed me with, but I do have a lot of JM's....:cool:

I wouldn't worry too much, I don't tend to worry about ph and chem stuff. Messing around with a bunch of stuff can lead to confused results....you know, "what actually did what, 'cuz I did everything"!:oops:

Looks like a real "sticky" mix. Doesn't seem like you'll have good oxygen transfer relative to how much water the mix holds and how much you actually add during each watering.

pine bark seeds...
DSC00264.JPG

derek7745

Chumono
Reaction score
@LanceMac10 thank you!

Looks like a real "sticky" mix
can i ask what you have your potted maples in? I don't have the experience or knowledge to doubt what vineland uses quite successfully, but I would gladly improve upon it or test a few maples in other mixes! we bonsai people tend to understand the water : oxygen thing a little more, or at least pay more attention to it, than a lot of landscape people -- and there's "always room for improvement" but also "don't fix what isn't broken" LOLOL

LanceMac10

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm moving back to turface, gravel, bark and some peat fines, I think. Pre-packaged Bonsai West mix. I've talked to some people that have used it and didn't like it. Said stayed too wet. I find it works pretty good for JM's and Hornbeams as well. I pretty much have most stuff in full sun, so the added bit of moisture retention has served me well. Or at least ok. High summer hands out a beating!!

orange dream....
DSC00263.JPG

LanceMac10

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sweat, most likely, they know what's coming!!

I've used lava,aka and pumice, and probably continue that with stuff in smaller containers. Mix needs LOTS of watering if you have lots of foliage/gets warm...

Mix on your coral bark just needs less watering from you. Nursery ain't looking to spend a bundle watering trees every day.....that's a lot of money. So you shouldn't water too much and site it right out in the sun!:cool: