Never thought I'd Be Posting About Kitty Litter ......

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

I already suggested - Jun - from IBC or he can contact Ka Pablung of IBC
as well.
Both are friendly and live in the Philippines.

As does Leo de Leon. [ seen on Jerry Meilisk's page.]
Robert Stevens, lives I believe in Malaysia.

Also waiting for Grouper to discover the firewood bonsai
tree -------- The Tamarind.

He is going to have a ball.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ixora at the beginning - stunning!

We use only 5 mm silica based gravel, our deposits are
surface and we do not encourage interfering with rivers
or streams.
We also do not use pots deeper than 5 to 6 inches as
observations show more than that depth brings on growing
problems.

A hand operated machine will make tons of crushed brick
in an hour. No need to hammer. Also at 5 mm.
Supplies extra water, but it is internal.

So for an extra thirsty tree [ Tamarind ] the brick is substituted
for half the grave; Compost never goes past 3 parts.
No need to.

Good Day
Anthony

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some good posts here. I like the finding pumice locally idea if you can do it. Lava rock, etc. Clearly there are other bonsai enthusiasts in your area you should hunt down and contact to find how they get their media and what they use.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Once I realized this wasn't posted in the Tea House. I realized you didn't get a cat. Lol honestly, I would imagine you must improvise a lot. I hope something you ordered in...will be quite a success. (Will you need to screen the pots of you have cats in the neighborhood?)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I return to this thread, with its many helpful suggestions - thank you all very, very much - after a five day trip down to Manila to stand in for the father of a young man - who is my nephew - at his high school graduation from a prestigeous school, and during the trip we happened upon not one, but two, bonsai purveyors who use and had stock available of local pumice in graduated sizes!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Yes, indeed, I am chortling! Problem solved! Readily available, as a substrate to mix with cement to form concrete! (I'l leave the cement out of my mixes!)

The one fellow, FWIW, says to use a base layer of the "corn" size pumice, then a layer of the "mongo," i.e. medium size, (like "mong" beans? ... "Mongo only pawn in game of life ... "), then a layer of "river sand," and then a topping of the fine stuff - though quite frankly the various sizes all look so similar I doubt one needs to worry so much about things.

There are many areas, BTW, with "river sand" of varying volcanic origins and colors, but all of them are simply too fine and/or dense to make a good soil consistantly for various types of trees as far as I can tell: these sands are filled with nutients, perhaps, but simply too dense, I believe, to make a great soil by itself for all types of trees.

BTW, to add good organic stuff to the mix, many people use the readily available "Pilay," rice husks, to their mix for all kinds of plants, or some nurseries even use it by itself or only lightly mixed for bougainvillea or other plants. My wife grew upon a farm here, where Pilay was an important by-product.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help and support in my quest to get this most essential aspect of the hobby covered!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grouper,

soil would never be a problem, as we learned to roll clay
into 5 mm and 3 mm fired clay spheres.
Grows anything well. Just add a little organic.

When you live on a small island. the idea is to do.

Rice hulls, I believe are high in potassium.

We use Leucaena leaf to compost.
Equal to Rabbit manure.
Simple and effective.

Glad to see you are beginning to thrive!
Good Day
Anthony

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, definitely, we are lucky here in EU. The best if not all DE comes from company called Damolin. I think they supply all Tescos and produce a soil for horticultural use called Terramol. There's some kitty litter sold by pet shops that is based on zeolite, we gotta be careful it's not perfumed and we're lucky we have zeolite mines. Suitable fraction is 2,5-5 mm.
What about importing some soil components and make own business?
Terramol is one part clay three DE and danolin state that it is fired in an oven but no temps on their webside. Interesting one on the zeolite, good info. Thanks.

Top Bottom