New acquisition. Interesting Old Pomegranate. Progression Thread

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just brought this home. Its the first pomegranate I've ever purchased. Quite different from most pomegranate bonsai I have ever seen. I found it to be a really cool in its composition and was really happy to acquire it.

Looks like it has not been doing great.. It was being kept in a greenhouse/cold frame due to its location on the coast. I guess it was not liking the cooler temps and grey skies so common along our coast, so into the greenhouse it went. The living portion of the tree has several branches/trunks. Most of them have die back along sections of branch or trunk. Many small branches also had died back. But the good news is there is plenty of green shoots to begin constructing the branches/canopy. It should do better here at my location which is more inland. It will get more sun and heat so will hopefully recover well this coming season and settle into its new home.

I just went thru and pruned back to 2-4 buds throughout. Removed dead knobs and dead branches, and took it down to where I thought it looked OK. Lightly wired a few shoots and overall did a fall/winter cleanup. Hoping this pruning triggers some back budding for next season. Would like to remove/cutback the trunk/branch that crosses over the others as soon as buds appear in a good place or I can approach graft somewhere closer to the trunk to get it going in a better direction. I plan to bare root repot to new soil when buds start pushing in spring.

I'm really looking forward to watching this one develop. I think it will look really cool with a nice broad canopy around the deadwood stump.

I have been using very very thin watery forms of Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) to harden fragile deadwood on some of my junipers. I think maybe Peter Warren was who I got that tip from? I will likely need to do some of that on this too. Do most people use lime sulfur on pomegranate deadwood?

This is what it looked like when purchased
IMG_8807.jpeg
IMG_8809.jpeg

After cleaning up light pruning and light wiring a few shoots.
IMG_8843.jpeg
IMG_8842.jpeg
IMG_8844.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8843.jpeg
    IMG_8843.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Repot today: bareroot. rootball was very thin. Not very many roots. I did not trim or cut off a single root. There are sufficient roots to allow the tree to recuperate this season but I think it did not like its previous home on the coast. Too grey, too cool, and the greenhouse it was in was likely not sunny enough. Planted into 50/50 large sized pumice/akadama. Won't touch this again till fall pruning. It should do much better in our location. Hoping to begin a healthy regimen of organic fertilizer and liquid fish along with some liquid kelp in about month. Will likely add some small sized Akadama to the surface to maintain more moisture once it begins to warm up.
IMG_9180 Large.jpeg
IMG_9178 Large.jpeg

Top Bottom