New bench

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not really work, just how I finish shelves as I described...

First up some of the 3 1/2 inch 280year old barn timber, looks to be horse milled, finished as I described - leaving rough hewn is what I like -

View attachment 128809

View attachment 128811

Some stands made from 285 year old barn siding, they were made using a footstool Grandmother made in High School as the pattern, just modified in height. Finished as I described -

View attachment 128812

I have more shelves but that explains what I am going for in finish on old reclaimed pieces ;)

Grimmy

Nice man! Those thickys should last a LONG time! Especially with your staining regimen.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Grimmy, I wasn't criticizing you or anyone else what-so-ever.

Personally, I like fir. Like I said, it gets harder than hell, which makes it more acceptable to me for most purposes. The only bad part about using it once it's rock hard is that you have to pre-drill the wood for fasteners otherwise the risk of splitting increases dramatically.

"I" don't give a rats arse what other ppl think about what I do, try, or say... I hope everyone has the same view of me... I'm too friggin old for drama, and conforming to someone else's code. :p
Omg :rolleyes: predrill EVERYTHING lol

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice..
But I wouldn't pay for them!
afraid this is what I have to pay for screws here. Anything cheaper will be cheap chinese stuff that breaks when you look at them.

I would expect stainless to be a lot dearer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
afraid this is what I have to pay for screws here. Anything cheaper will be cheap chinese stuff that breaks when you look at them.

I would expect stainless to be a lot dearer?

I didn't even look at the price....

But I would pay for them if I had to, over the frustation brought on by using CHEAP SHIT!

Sorce

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome lookin bench, I think the sizes of tops are ok- just means you have to get more small trees to work with if others don't fit, I see no problem with that kind of problem haha.
Good work though

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fir gets harder than hell after a few years, especially inside a building.

I got used to using these kits for all sorts or projects, but I use a modified version and Western Red Cedar so I don't have to maintain them.

Can get them for about $20.00 a box when they are on clearance... BUT they are not acceptable to most "bonsai ppl".

https://www.strongtie.com/miscellaneousconnectors_woodconnectors/wbsk_kit/p/wbsk
Oh bullshit. They're certainly "acceptable" IF you have all mame trees. Simply not big enough for anything I own. FWIW, if you've been doing this for more than five years and you have a lot of bigger trees, stuff like this:
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ft_greenhouse_shelving_benching;pg106075.html
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/dura-bench-plastic-benchtop/benches-displays
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/single-level-display-bench/benches-displays

is more effective--wider panels made of PVC or even metal are more practical and over time, less expensive than having to replace wooden shelves that are too small.

Random User

Reaction score
@rockm

I highly doubt that you even looked at the link I posted. Unlike you, I prefer to help people rather than criticize someone who is new, and I was merely pointing out that the kits that I use are not specifically designed for bonsai benches. Seeing that you almost never seem to have a balanced view of what other people do or say, I'll automatically disregard anything that you have to offer... not matter how valid it might be.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice bench! I built one of these too. Just be careful as it may tend to fall over if you don't keep more weight on the top than on the lowest shelf. I found I was too tempted to lean on the bottom shelf when I moved pots around so I ended up adding some mass to the bottom of the frame to stabilize it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm

I highly doubt that you even looked at the link I posted. Unlike you, I prefer to help people rather than criticize someone who is new, and I was merely pointing out that the kits that I use are not specifically designed for bonsai benches. Seeing that you almost never seem to have a balanced view of what other people do or say, I'll automatically disregard anything that you have to offer... not matter how valid it might be.
If you take your fingers out of your ears and stop humming for a sec--take a look at how you're coming off here.

"Can get them for about $20.00 a box when they are on clearance... BUT they are not acceptable to most "bonsai ppl""

that can be taken a number of ways, some of them bad. Your reaction clarifies what I thought.

Anyway, do a search on what I've posted. some of it, I've been told, has been pretty helpful. Oh, sorry, you're busy automatically throwing out information...Resume humming...

Random User

Reaction score
Did you LOOK at that link I posted and the product in question?... I friggin doubt it, or you wouldn't have even replied with such a stupid response.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look at you guys arguing over fancy benches!
I personally use 1x12 oak boards across empty 5 gallon buckets.
And they are totally acceptable to this bonsai guy. As for other people I could care less what they think.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You with your fancy oak. :) What's wrong with old boards, or pipe?
CW
They are old. I pulled them out of a pile of unwanted boards. I didn't buy them.
In fact I'm going to have to search through some more scrap piles to make more this year.
The only pipe I use is the one I carry in my pocket. It helps my setup look great.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Managed to finish the drip system and fit a surprising amount on it! Next step is a "drip catcher" since this is over slate tile I am going to mount an aluminum catcher under the bottom shelf (think a paint roller tray but bigger). Hoping it will help with keeping the patio clean and adding a bit of humidity to the arid Phoenix summer climate. The son of an engineer: a project is never finished :D

Attachments

• IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Look at you guys arguing over fancy benches!
I personally use 1x12 oak boards across empty 5 gallon buckets.
And they are totally acceptable to this bonsai guy. As for other people I could care less what they think.
Blue or Orange?..I'm partial to the blue. The orange ones clash with some of my pots.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hoping it will help with keeping the patio clean and adding a bit of humidity to the arid Phoenix summer climate. The son of an engineer: a project is never finished

Looks like you did a nice job fitting your needs! For the large stuff on the floor itself Home Depot has some nice heavy duty boot trays that work great for our large tropicals while in the house for Winter, inexpensive too!

Grimmy

Top Bottom