New better Product on the market to replace Akadama

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
There's now a European replacement of akadama... it's called bardula and comes from Sardinia
Hello,

Sorry for this very late response. I did put promoting Sakadama on this forum (and other places) on the back-burner for a while, as we were doing additional research and getting the product available everywhere in Europe and other places. If you are interested it's available at this moment. For questions please contact me at info@yougo-bonsai.com

With kind regards,

Hugo Hazebroek (Comercial agent of Sakadama)

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
I am interested in the hardness discussion. Is it really true that if akadama or kanuma becomes so hard it can last in the pot for 6+ years without falling apart, that means it is also too hard for roots to grow into the particles, limiting root growth of the planet? I am really a bit skeptical here.

Isn't it the pores that allow roots to grow into the particles? And not the roots cracking the particles open?
Hello,

Sorry for this very late response. I did put promoting Sakadama on this forum (and other places) on the back-burner for a while, as we were doing additional research and getting the product available everywhere in Europe and other places.

Yes Sakadama is harder and does have a much longer life, but the roots can penetrate.

For additional questions please contact me at info@yougo-bonsai.com

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Andosol soils can occur where ever volcanoes exist. There is nothing "magical" about akadama, or kanuma. It is possible to find similar deposits through out the world. The Japanese deposits have been mined for centuries, and a few of the oldest individual mines are close to being depleted. There are plenty more locations in Japan, they won't run out entirely, but prices of akadama & kanuma will likely rise in the future as the cost of opening a new mine, versus expanding an existing mine will definitely be higher. Cost of opening a mine in the USA is pretty high too. Think the equipment needed to run a gravel quarry, plus the need to purchase the land the quarry will be sited upon.

Most of the cost of Akadama for non-Japanese users is transportation. It was cost that kept me from using it as I initially got into raising bonsai. I will be interested when SAkadama becomes available through Superfly (who is a member in good standing here) and Bjorn Bjornholm begin to make the product available. And any other USA or Canadian vendors who begin representing the product.

Turface and Monto clay are not similar to Akadama or Kanuma. Turface and Monto clays have significantly higher calcium contents. They are not equivalent.

I am glad @Sakadama has been posting, it is allowing us to consider a new product. When I get a chance to try some when I repot this spring, I will let people know my opinions and results. Right now, I am open to the idea of another growing media alternative.

In the near 50 years I have been growing bonsai, the single most revolutionary component that improved my growing was pumice. Once I discovered affordable sources of pumice, my bonsai improved dramatically. The second most radical improvement was the realization that a sieve, to sift your bonsai media was essential, and vastly improved the quality of any mix. Sorted to a uniform particle size, almost any material could be made useful for growing bonsai.

Akadama has certainly given me good results. Akadama-pumice blend is my current go to mix. I will be interested to try out SAkadama as it becomes available.
Hello,

Sorry for this very late response. I did put promoting Sakadama on this forum (and other places) on the back-burner for a while, as we were doing additional research and getting the product available everywhere in Europe and other places. As you probably now Sakadama is available in the united states now. I was wondering if you knew and have tried it allready?

For questions please contact me at info@yougo-bonsai.com

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Gosh, lots of information here. Just to clarify part of the record. @Sakadama.

@Leo in N E Illinois is right on, there are other volcanic systems similar to Japan’s conditions. Likely Oregon as per the study above…. and also possibly other locations. Italy seems very likely... and more power to those folks if they find a good product.

The reason I keep getting from professionals out here for not mining in the US is that there isn’t a big enough market in the US to put on a mining operation in Oregon…. although I hear rumors leaking out of the Portland Club about a secret location to dig…?

Akadama is fired to 300C / 572F at the mine as part of the process of preparing it for market to dry the product. The site linked will help one learn about the process etc.

Akadama also comes in different hardness based upon the compression it was subjected to in its native soil. For example the Ibarak I double red line akadama is rated as hard, and the…

View attachment 402648

Hosen “King of Red Balls” akadama is markedly harder and marketed as such. Recommended to use for orchids too…!
View attachment 402646

That said, I’m wondering about:

1. Whether firing akadama to twice the level will actually be an improvement, or a marketing scheme. Cranking the temperature up to 600C / 1112F is bound to begin the process of metamorphosis.

2. The conditions this is mined, including the workers.

3. The long term price point on shipping a product from South Africa to the US.

4. Where’s the field trial data on Sakadama?

cheers
DSD sends

Hello,

Sorry for this very late response. I did put promoting Sakadama on this forum (and other places) on the back-burner for a while, as we were doing additional research and getting the product available everywhere in Europe and other places.

Underneath the answers to your questions. For aditional questions please contact me at info@yougo-bonsai.com.

1. Whether firing akadama to twice the level will actually be an improvement, or a marketing scheme. Cranking the temperature up to 600C / 1112F is bound to begin the process of metamorphosis.

Yes there are changes in structure, but firing to 600C does give us very good results. The product does better then traditional Akadama.

2. The conditions this is mined, including the workers.

Those are good. People are being treated good and are getting a decent salary. Potential buyers are welcome to come and take a look themselves.

3. The long term price point on shipping a product from South Africa to the US.

We are not luring customers in with a price and then lifting it sky high. We are interested in and putting time and money into good and sustainable long-lasting relationships.

4. Where’s the field trial data on Sakadama?

For technical data please mail me. I can send you the documentation. (info@yougo-bonsai.com)

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah same here. It is harder than akadama and more fragile then turface. The shape is smiling to akadama and the pores seem to be bigger than akadama as I can feel the coarseness with my fingers. The bag has little to no fine dust so I didn’t sift. Used it straight to repot a dwarf crabapple. Will use it to repot a ficus too and see how it goes.
Wife’s green unions are doing great in it too…
I was wondering if you could post some of the results. I can promote the product, but people do want to the results with their own eyes.

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
@Sakadama I will look forward to trying it once it becomes available in the US.
Hello,

Sorry for this very late response. I did put promoting Sakadama on this forum (and other places) on the back-burner for a while, as we were doing additional research and getting the product available everywhere in Europe and other places. Sakadama is now for sale almost everywhere around the world and also in America. If you are interested, please send me an mail at info@yougo-bonsai.com.

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Sometimes the higher temperatures can be simply to meet export/import requirements set by certain countries. It is often a factor in acceptability. The import regulations for Canada for example make it easier to import the higher fired products as they are considered a lower risk for insects and disease. Other factors are the degree of screening of unwanted materials such as pieces of roots still in the bag. Wholesale cost can often be less than half of the retail when purchased by the pallet and even more when containers are purchased. The risk ( cost ) is often associated with customs clearance if the product arrives and is not up to the expected standards. Very expensive when a shipment is rejected for entry!
In the past this has caused some retailers to discontinue handling Akadama and Kanuma.
Hello,

All true, but the main reason for us to fire to 600C is the positive effects it has on the product.

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Has anyone posted a price comparison between akadama and sakadama?
Hello,

Business to business or business to consumers?

With kind regards,

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
The point is that Sakadama is supposed to be harder and that volcanic substrates from places other than Japan could also be harder. Hence 'if akadama or kanuma becomes so harder ...'.

Also, I really doubt that roots will choke on particles that don't have complete tunnels Any evidence for this?

I have seen people complain about akadama breaking down becauase of frost cycles. So if you say Ryan Neal has trees in akadama for 6 years and it is still intact, I guess that is not what I mean. Kanuma definitely is soft. I believe it would be a better product when harder. Would also prevent dust and a need to sieve.
Hello,

Sakadama was subjected to multiple freezing and thawing cycles. This has shown that the product has minimal breakdown even under these severe conditions. This in turn will ensure that Sakadama will be able to be used in regions were freezing occurs, without significantly reducing the drainage and air filled porosity of the growing media.

With kind regards,

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I received your email, thank you. I am going to pass and, I have to say, mostly for reasons unrelated to the product itself.

Can I ask what other reasons?

Well for one, you sent me a long list of people who you claim recommend this product. I'm good friends with quite a few of them, so I texted/called them and it turns out that exactly none of them recommend your product--most of them have never even seen it in person! They are certainly curious about its potential (as am I), but they require more testing before they might consider 'recommending' the product. And even if they did eventually decide to use and/or recommend your product they still would not be comfortable standing by all of the outrageous and illogical claims in your documents and emails.

The fact that you are willing to twist and misuse a person's expression of simple curiosity/interest into 'strongly recommend' is, for me, unacceptable. This alone was enough to burn the bridge. I do not do business with people I do not trust.

You may also want to reconsider how you approach people in the future. I strongly suggest performing well thought-out studies and experiments, documenting them, but above all organizing your thoughts before blasting people with a snowstorm of unsophisticated rhetoric and nonsense 'facts'. To be quite blunt, your email sounds like you have never done bonsai in your life (e.g. "Sakadama promotes development of the bonsai tree"; lolwut?), and I'm not the only one who feels that you're terrible at marketing/PR/sales. What Sakadama needs is a different representative promoting/selling this product if it is a product worth promoting. At this point there is just not much you can do to re-establish trust, and I know for a fact that I am not the only person who feels this way.

I sincerely lament the fact that you have been made responsible for the promotion of this product. Many people like myself who are genuinely excited about the potential of a new substrate are being severely put-off by your 'marketing'.

Last edited:

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Based on the website of Sakadama there are only 2 commercial agents, Mistral Bonsai in Spain and Willow Bonsai in South Africa.

Hugo Hazebroek (the guy of this topic) would be the third agent but his website is still not online (domain created on 20 October 2021).

When I compare the prices of Japanese Akadama and Sakadama on the website of Mistral Bonsai it looks like Sakadama is more expensive than the Japanese stuff.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using this product for about 3 months now so I can't yet speak for long term use, but I love this product. It is clean, hard, porous, and graded very consistently. I was disappointed with akadama because it is so inconsistent. I don't want to use a product that is so different from one supplier to the next.
Everything I have planted in Sakadama is doing very well to date.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been using this product for about 3 months now so I can't yet speak for long term use, but I love this product. It is clean, hard, porous, and graded very consistently. I was disappointed with akadama because it is so inconsistent. I don't want to use a product that is so different from one supplier to the next.
How is the price point? Especially now with freight increases

Never mind I see it in previous posts!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where did you purchase it?

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Well for one, you sent me a long list of people who you claim recommend this product. I'm good friends with quite a few of them, so I texted/called them and it turns out that exactly none of them recommend your product--most of them have never even seen it in person! They are certainly curious about its potential (as am I), but they require more testing before they might consider 'recommending' the product. And even if they did eventually decide to use and/or recommend your product they still would not be comfortable standing by all of the outrageous and illogical claims in your documents and emails.

The fact that you are willing to twist and misuse a person's expression of simple curiosity/interest into 'strongly recommend' is, for me, unacceptable. This alone was enough to burn the bridge. I do not do business with people I do not trust.

You may also want to reconsider how you approach people in the future. I strongly suggest performing well thought-out studies and experiments, documenting them, but above all organizing your thoughts before blasting people with a snowstorm of unsophisticated rhetoric and nonsense 'facts'. To be quite blunt, your email sounds like you have never done bonsai in your life (e.g. "Sakadama promotes development of the bonsai tree"; lolwut?), and I'm not the only one who feels that you're terrible at marketing/PR/sales. What Sakadama needs is a different representative promoting/selling this product if it is a product worth promoting. At this point there is just not much you can do to re-establish trust, and I know for a fact that I am not the only person who feels this way.

I sincerely lament the fact that you have been made responsible for the promotion of this product. Many people like myself who are genuinely excited about the potential of a new substrate are being severely put-off by your 'marketing'.
Thanks for your reply.

I did send you an e-mail. But I never used the words "Strongly recommend" anywhere. Could you be so kind as in sending me the text where I claimed this Strongly recommending and the names of the people from who I supposedly unjustified claimed they recommend Sakadama?

I would never do that? Call some big names in a small world like that of Bonsai just to impress. If I would do that I would lose my credibility in a blink of an eye. I know people talk to each other in this small world and I did not lie one word. There also was no long list of names. There were 2 names: Bjorn Bjorholm of Eisei-en and Andy Youtz of Superfly Bonsai.

Bjorn has been testing our product and so there was no lie there. People can check if they want.

Andy is selling our product on his website: https://www.superflybonsai.com/prod...african-akadama-1?_pos=1&_sid=be349f090&_ss=r
So no lies there either.

What I wrote in the e-mails was:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Furthermore, the following people commit to Sakadama: (I did not write they recommend)

Bjorn Bjorholm of Eisei-en

Bjorn is one of the best Bonsai artists in the world who studied in Japan and now practices in the US. His website (https://bjornbjorholm.com/) and various blogs showcase his work. He is very well known in the Bonsai industry.

Andy Youtz of Superfly Bonsai in the USA

Another well-known name in the Bonsai industry. He has a company that sells the most diverse Bonsai related products. See also: https://www.superflybonsai.com/ "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant that these people are helping us with this product. And they are. What other name was mentioned which was a lie? I would like to respond, but if I do not know who you are speaking of I can't.

I am sorry if I offended you somehow, but your claim that I said these people recommend our product is simply not true. Bjorn was testing it last time I heard, so how could I say he's already recommending it?

Also, you wrote about me personally: "......unsophisticated rhetoric and nonsense 'facts'. To be quite blunt, your email sounds like you have never done bonsai in your life (e.g. "Sakadama promotes development of the bonsai tree"; lolwut?)

As I have been very clear about from the beginning, I am not an expert in Bonsai. I am new to Bonsai. I am eager to learn and if there are (technical) matters I do not know enough of I ask our expert and come with plain and honest answers. But I did not send you an e-mail with unsophisticated rhetoric and nonsense 'facts'. Everything I wrote to you, was given to me as information and there is no text in this mail that is what you describe nonsense. If so please tell me what so I can change my corresponding about this in the future.

I did put a screenshot of the e-mail with the part you are referring to highlighted in green as an attachment to this post as what you are saying is discrediting me, while I feel I have done nothing wrong. I want people to see what I wrote, as I did not lie, twist and misuse anuthing. The text I used in the mail I did send you I used a lot for potential customers and if there is anything wrong with it I would like to change or if necessary rectify it.

With regards,

Attachments

• Screenshot mail_02.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 21

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Based on the website of Sakadama there are only 2 commercial agents, Mistral Bonsai in Spain and Willow Bonsai in South Africa.

Hugo Hazebroek (the guy of this topic) would be the third agent but his website is still not online (domain created on 20 October 2021).

When I compare the prices of Japanese Akadama and Sakadama on the website of Mistral Bonsai it looks like Sakadama is more expensive than the Japanese stuff.
Yes, you are right. I did claim this domain in October 2021, but my website is not online yet as I was busy creating the website for Sakadama itself. Mine is next, but from the info point of view will not offer more than the Sakadama website does as I am only acting as a commercial agent for Sakadama. I might expend this in the future, but not for now. The Sakadama website will be expended with extra info and insights in the future.

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Can I help you? You seem to have a problem with me? If you would be as kind to elaborate what the problem is I can respond.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good Morning @Sakadama.

You appear to be posting random responses on a thread of a bonsai forum as if this is an individual’s email. Not sure this is effective nor a good reflection of the company you represent at this point.

Not just one person contributes to each thread… in this case scores of folks have commented undecided, pro and con and all are seeing your posts, The vast majority of which were not involved in the comments posted. If you wish to address specific individuals one normally goes back to that specific post and hits reply, then adds their response.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom