New better Product on the market to replace Akadama

Sakadama

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for your responce.

That is exactly what I did. Read the message, click reply and respond. I don't know what I am doing wrong then. Can you please explain?

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for your responce.

That is exactly what I did. Read the message, click reply and respond. I don't know what I am doing wrong then. Can you please explain?
If you check your post #159 you will note that it does not indicate to whom you are responding. Likely just responded without hitting the reply on the post you intended to respond to. The posting # is located in the top right corner of each response.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you check your post #159 you will note that it does not indicate to whom you are responding. Likely just responded without hitting the reply on the post you intended to respond to. The posting # is located in the top right corner of each response.
I should have explained that if you go directly to Reply on the bottom of the page it becomes a general reply without directing the comment to a previous post or comment. This is likely what created the confusion with your personal question that did not identify the individual or response you were concerned about.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Also we don’t need to be reminded as to the reason why you’ve been late in responding every time you response to an earlier post. Think of a forum as a room full of people, we can all see and hear each of your responses so you don’t have to repeat yourself every time

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted a Jap maple in 2 sakadama : 1 pumice and another in 2 akadama(ibaraki double red line) : 1 pumice last year

I would not rate sakadama as better than akadama.
I had to fertilize the JM in sakadama WAY more than the JM in akadama and I could not get the same result as the tree in akadama. I now use it in mixes for water loving trees.
I repotted the JM in sakadama back into akadama about a month ago and it's back on track and shows the same vigor as the other JM.
take this as you will, just what I've seen observing the two trees

I think it is a soil amendment to use like pumice,lava and crushed leca etc.
it will not replace akadama in my mixes ever...except if they stop firing it to 600...then I will test it again side by side and see what it does

Best regards
Herman

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I repotted a Jap maple in 2 sakadama : 1 pumice and another in 2 akadama(ibaraki double red line) : 1 pumice last year

I would not rate sakadama as better than akadama.
I had to fertilize the JM in sakadama WAY more than the JM in akadama and I could not get the same result as the tree in akadama. I now use it in mixes for water loving trees.
I repotted the JM in sakadama back into akadama about a month ago and it's back on track and shows the same vigor as the other JM.
take this as you will, just what I've seen observing the two trees

I think it is a soil amendment to use like pumice,lava and crushed leca etc.
it will not replace akadama in my mixes ever...except if they stop firing it to 600...then I will test it again side by side and see what it does

Best regards
Herman
Yeah , it’s garbage

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
I would not go as far as saying it's garbage...it can find it's own niche as an aggregate

but what I'm dead sure of is that it is NOT a replacement for akadama.
Anthony of Willow bonsai adds bark to up the CEC to help the mix retain nutrients
If I remember correctly his premium bonsai soil mix is sakadama, perlite and pine bark. this might be the best way to use it? IDK why fire it to 600 to make it more durable and then add bark...that brings you back to square one of having organics in your soil mixes, which breaks down way faster than akadama

as I've said I'm considering it as an add to mixes for plants that LOVE water

Best regards
Herman

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got a bag of this the other day. First thing I did was check the pH.....around 9! Me no likey!!
It says neutral pH on the bag. I might try washing it to see if that changes things but.........

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So it’s officially out of stock in the entire US at this point?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I got a bag of this the other day. First thing I did was check the pH.....around 9! Me no likey!!
It says neutral pH on the bag. I might try washing it to see if that changes things but.........
How did you check the PH? Mix with water and test strip?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I am not a Bonsai-U subscriber but I wonder what his reasoning behind it is
He said in analysis the CEC was really low and was more similar to kiryu than akadama. He tried it out in all sorts of combinations and ratios and didn’t get very good results.

In a previous Q&A he mentioned pines that he was growing in it all had yellow needles.

His closing words in the Q&A were “I don’t recommend it”

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So in summary...

* manufacturer finds this niche, despite not knowing what makes akadama tick, or much else about bonsai
* claims it's better than akadama in every way...despite not knowing what makes akadama tick
* misrepresents the affiliation with well known bonsai professionals
* said bonsai professionals disrecommend it

wrap it up folks!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
On a recent Bonsai-U Q&A Bjorn pretty much said it’s garbage 🗑️
I would not so quick to jump to conclusions. The CEC in Akadama is also not high (and does not particularly need to be) I have used it mixed with other materials on various things (including some cacti) and I have not observed much in the way of negative results. I will know more when I look at the roots this spring.
The pH probably need to be considered when using it. As a stand-alone product, it will have it's limitations because of this.

Top Bottom