New Cork Bark Elm

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Just picked this up last weekend from a gentleman who is moving back to Europe this Summer and unfortunately had to sell his collection. It has a four inch base and is close to 18 inches in height. Next Spring I plan to get it out of the plastic training pot and into a nice quality pot.

Attachments

• May-June 2009 148.jpg
    May-June 2009 148.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, that is one ugly tree.

It should make a beautiful bonsai, what are your plans?

Will

Ken Duncan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice old cork bark. The bark shows great age, to keep it in good shape try real hard to keep moss from growing at the base of the trunk. Over time it will cause the corky bark to rot away.
With some careful pruning I thin this will be a very nice tree.
Ken

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
We've had some real hot weather out here in California the past week and I plan to slowly remove the moss to help with keeping the soil moist through out the day. I'll replace it with shifted sphagnum moss once we get back to our normal temps.

I have to remove a large back branch that is too high up on the trunk for its size, fortunately there is a smaller brach that can be grown out to a more appropriate size just above it. Next Spring it will go into a more appropriate pot as well.

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! It seems to maybe suffer from a bulge or slight reverse taper in the section just before the apex begins to take shape (maybe just an optical illusion from the photograph). Have you thought about changing the trunk line?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
It actually has really nice taper from bottom to top. The bulge is from the lighting and angle of the picture.

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guessed as much! Very nice! The plating on the bark is massive

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
An update on an old thread that I started a few years back. Been working on creating more taper in the branches with some hard cuts a few years ago. Dug back the long spring growth to two sets of leaves on most branches and left a few sacrifices long to increaevgirth where needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 70

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the trunk, but imagine that the ramification would look better if it started closer to the trunk.

I know nothing about elms like these. Could it be pruned hard like Japanese maples or thread grafted? Is the bark a problem?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
During 4-5 years it really doesnt look like its progressed much:confused:confused:

Top Bottom