New guy here...with chinese Elm

Cactuskid

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just got my First Bonsai tree online arrived in nice condition, trimmed back, typical S shaped trunk in glazed pot. I am eager to learn more about this craft, reading online and books, The tree I have is located in Kitchen window, gets 1-1/2 direct light every morning then bright light all day (live near Phoenix), I have it on a rock tray and keep that watered, so far soil is still moist to touch so do not want to drown it...It is really starting to sprout now and what I am seeing is leaves are larger than should be for tiny tree? I have not seen HOW to trim this specific species anywhere, always ficus or fern...

Any thought how-to? maybe a link to video showing trimming a Chinese Elm?

thanks

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Cactus,

Elms are one of my favorite trees for bonsai. Under proper care they produce great ramification and small leaves. However, elms are absolutely outdoor trees. You will not have the tree long-term if you keep it inside. If you are serious about making bonsai your hobbie, then I would recommend that you find someone involved with bonsai or join a bonsai club - probably the latter. You have much to learn. Don't be tempted to buy the big/expensive stuff now. Learn about the art first - it is almost a science. I would venture to say that most of us here do not have our first bonsai tree - it eventually died. Not because bonsai are unable to live long-term, but we didn't know how to keep it alive. FIND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU, LEARN FROM THEM.

Sincerely,

Dave V.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must recommend Harry Harrington's site, Bonsai4me.com. He has incredibly well cataloged, easy-to-understand, highly complete information that has helped me to understand basic principles as well as more "advanced" techniques and information regarding caring for and training bonsai. His progression series' are very interesting to read.

Here's a page with general information about elms that he's compiled:
http://bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html

and here's an article regarding "indoors bonsai" that might help you to understand why keeping your elm indoors might not be the best idea:
http://bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Indoor.html

If you want to really learn, read through every one of his progression series' in his bonsai galleries section: http://bonsai4me.com/gallery.htm There's a great deal of information there.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Cactus,

Elms are one of my favorite trees for bonsai. Under proper care they produce great ramification and small leaves. However, elms are absolutely outdoor trees. You will not have the tree long-term if you keep it inside. If you are serious about making bonsai your hobbie, then I would recommend that you find someone involved with bonsai or join a bonsai club - probably the latter. You have much to learn. Don't be tempted to buy the big/expensive stuff now. Learn about the art first - it is almost a science. I would venture to say that most of us here do not have our first bonsai tree - it eventually died. Not because bonsai are unable to live long-term, but we didn't know how to keep it alive. FIND SOMEONE TO HELP YOU, LEARN FROM THEM.

Sincerely,

Dave V.

How I wish someone had given me this advice two years ago! Now I have found those people who can and will help and they are all in our local club--Alabama Bonsai Society.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What Ron says, a club is a great thing if you think you will stick to it, wealths of info.

On the elms are absolute outdoor trees, not, this is one that can be done indoors, but I do advocate having it out, but not until you can put it out in the spring so it won't freeze/frost, until next fall/winter, and not all elms can take freezes, so you willl need to determine which variety it is.

Cactuskid

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks all,

I have looked in to clubs searching online, all I see is in Phoenix and quite a drive for me, For now I look for videos online, etc. I think the most frustrating thing is these along with most ALL bonsai need to be outdoors, after all I think most Like these for display indoors.
I have a plant stand for the patio, how about swapping plants inside and out , to get fresh air? here are a few pics of the tree. leaves look a bit pale from inside air. I got this from Brussel's Bonsai online, I show lots if new shoots coming out of the soil in close-up should i pick those out?

also, tree is 10" from top of pot to top of foliage

P1010418.jpgtree 001.jpgtree 002.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
thanks all,

I have looked in to clubs searching online, all I see is in Phoenix and quite a drive for me, For now I look for videos online, etc. I think the most frustrating thing is these along with most ALL bonsai need to be outdoors, after all I think most Like these for display indoors.
I have a plant stand for the patio, how about swapping plants inside and out , to get fresh air? here are a few pics of the tree. leaves look a bit pale from inside air. I got this from Brussel's Bonsai online, I show lots if new shoots coming out of the soil in close-up should i pick those out?

also, tree is 10" from top of pot to top of foliage

View attachment 20470View attachment 20471View attachment 20472

"Bonsai are inside things" is a common misconception from those who haven't had trees of their own. Pretty much all plants prefer to be outside. Those up North can simulate passable conditions enough to keep some tropical things going, but even those would rather be out in the fresh air and sunshine whenever possible. So, I'll add my voice to the chorus of those suggesting you get this guy outside.

Different plants respond to changing locations (rotating them in & outside) differently. Most don't like it. I can't speak as to how Elms would respond to this, though they are pretty tough plants. For what it's worth, in my experience Ficus don't like the change in conditions and will drop leaves as a result. In my opinion, the first thing you should concern yourself with as you wade into this hobby is keeping your trees alive and flourishing. And my best advice for your new tree is to keep it outside and properly watered.

Have fun! Keep us posted.

Cactuskid

Seedling
Reaction score
Well Mat read what I said about setting up a plant stand OUTSIDE, yes I get it. Still, who on this website does not keep ANY trees inside part time? will be no fun in it.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I did read your post, and all the others. You mentioned reading that they should be outdoors but didn't seem convinced, so I added my "vote". Then I went on to offer an opinion about your plant stand as a spot from which to rotate your tree inside & out. Sorry if my post upset you, and I definitely don't want to seem like I'm lecturing. Just trying to offer some advice on how to keep your plant healthy.

I'll leave you to it at this point. I'll just add that, to me at least, having a dead tree inside would certainly be less fun than having a living tree outside.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Still, who on this website does not keep ANY trees inside part time?.

Those would be the experienced members on this website telling you that it doesn't work well. If you have fish, do you keep them outside of the tank part time for fun?

Kidding aside, enjoy the hobby, and if you stick around a while you'll realize much greater success with species hardy in your zone, accommodating their needs, keeping them healthy, and enjoying them outside.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The place it outside is good advice. Ficus can survive and even do well indoors. Much of the problems with keeping a ficus indoors is the stuff we use indoors, air fresheners, hairsprays, cooking fumes etc.. I have found the worst ficus for dropping leaves when moving is the Benjamina. Most the others tolerate change fairly well. They do not tolerate cold at all though. If I were in Ariz. I would be wary of direct sunlight all day, unless I had a drip watering system installed on my tree as they do not like being really dry either and I remember Ariz. as being not only bright and hot but barely had no humidity so things dried out and that is not good for your plant either.

ed

Top Bottom