New Hobbyist in Northwest Italy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't bark on Zelkova be a give-away.
MAYBE in person. But I find that -if bare- the species are hard to keep apart. In fact, I recently dug a zelkova from my growing field for a friend. Told him to let me know once spring is around what came out: Was not sure whether siberian elm or zelkova, both of which I have in the field and in winter I am not convinced I can keep them apart!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
MAYBE in person. But I find that -if bare- the species are hard to keep apart. In fact, I recently dug a zelkova from my growing field for a friend. Told him to let me know once spring is around what came out: Was not sure whether siberian elm or zelkova, both of which I have in the field and in winter I am not convinced I can keep them apart!
I see a lot of Pumila..almost NO zelkova.

Pumila, to me... has a shinier, dark grey layer.. like UNDER where any "barking" takes place.

But you're right.. trying to do that IN PERSON in pretty tricky...

Using pictures?.... Only twice as tricky!!!

😂

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ulmus parvifolia perhaps fares better in milder climates. Where you live, the temperatures rarely go below 0° C if I'm right.
Almost correct @AlainK Nights in winter regularly get down the -3C and occasionally -5C most winters, rarely a few deg lower. 9C below freezing is a record cold here.

I have seen some growers from much colder places saying that Chinese elm can be affected by colder temps. Does this mean that Zelkova is more cold tolerant?
I have also wondered if the problems of lack of ramification, long internodes, etc with my Zelkova might be related to the variety or provenance.
I see many great zelkova bonsai so I know it must be possible but nothing I've tried has worked with the trees I have which obviously leaves a negative impression. All my plants are descended from a single seedling I grew so maybe there are strains that are better for bonsai? Maybe it is just that I am not doing it right?

Top Bottom