New Juniper...

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do you find a live vien?New to Bonsai here and I love Junipers.Love what yopu are doing to this tree so far. Thanks , Joe

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so thats good the tree is established and in great health. Most of the battle is won at this point so the fun part can begin. I really like your tree and see potential and would like to offer my opinion on it but I reserve my opinion until I can get a 360 degree view from each side of the pot. I know you have said that your first picture is from the front but remember, you can see your tree from any angle in real life people on a forum have to rely on photos. You will get many more ideas from people if you show each angle from a level viewing plane.

Like I said you have a really nice tree and I like it. My best suggestion at this point is do not RUSH. Bonsai needs patience. This is something I have trouble with as well but I have learned that when I rush I often make mistakes that I regret down the road. Really take your time with this and you will have a quality tree in a few years.

Tom

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
how's that for patience :D

bonsai-50.jpg

bonsai-51.jpg

bonsai-52.jpg

bonsai-53.jpg

bonsai-54.jpg

bonsai-55.jpg

bonsai-56.jpg

bonsai-57.jpg

bonsai-58.jpg

bonsai-59.jpg

bonsai-60.jpg

I'll take more pictures tomorrow

Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After you mow the lawn or what? I like that new angle. I'm leaning toward the cascade for what it's worth.

Dave

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Very bold move barerooting the whole tree at once.....and then using a hose...you must like living on the edge!!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Like the planting angle! This definitely has a future.

Looks like a LOT of roots came off...probably more than I would have taken on a tree 2 years from collection. Was this to get it into the right position in the pot, or a response to how strongly they grew from 08 to now?

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea, what happened to all those nice white tipped roots? I don't think any roots should have been cut off. They only needed to be tucked into the pot. Hope it lives as it quite nice looking at the new planting angle.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Shohin kid,

Yep! Rocky Mountain Juniper

Jason,

I figured I had to do something drastic because the roots were in all the wrong places. Doing the repotting in stages to achieve the desired planting angle would have taken 5+ year. Much too long than what I wanted to wait for C+ material.

If the tree does well this spring - I'll start on the shaping process this winter. If it doesn't I'll start next year.

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
This tree did die shortly after repotting so I ended up trying something different

peanut-50_zps161b738a.jpg

peanut-52_zps3748d1ba.jpg

peanut-53_zps8f7c7745.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I love this tree...Try and incorporate more of a gnarly old feel tree bitten by the elements,

Top Bottom