New (Old) Trident

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got this tree in the summer because I really liked the Bald Cypress-like nebari. I haven't touched it at all since I bought because it was not growing vigorously and I would go as far as to say it had a very weak amount of growth. So, first and foremost, I want to get it back to full health before doing anything but eventually I'll need a plan as to how to design the tree. Honestly, I do see any sides that really stick out since the trunk is essentially a formal upright. However, I do see some movement on the Left side so I may go with that as the front. I'll more than likely need a trunk chop since it's too tall. I'll gladly take any suggestions and input! Thanks for helping. :D

Measurements:
Height - 23.5 inches
Trunk - 2.5 inches
Nebari - 6.5 inches

Current Front

Left (new proposed Front?)

Back Right

Back Left

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like the back right pic. Don't like your proposed front as much as the first right branch is pointing to the back. The back right pic has more realistic nebari.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the back right pic. Don't like your proposed front as much as the first right branch is pointing to the back. The back right pic has more realistic nebari.

I agree the nebari looks real nice in that photo. But I assumed the poster was hoping for a less formal trunk. I could see the movement in the photo he proposed...And...curious...could the branch be wired and brought forward by any chance?

But...when it comes to the nebari...that back right had a nice natural look as you say.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not a bad tree at all. Yes I agree that it needs to be cut down. I would cut about half way up the trunk and go from there. I think it has good potential and like others said very good base. Branches seem to be "getting away" from the trunk. I'd prune back to get them to bud closer to the trunk and create fuller branch structures.

Get it healthy first!! :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would give it a season to get healthy. Then chop it above the second branch. Re grow a shorter apex. I really like the second branch down.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Your back right IS the best front and the absolute best base. Those large roots in your proposed front look too much like claws digging into the soil. If you use that as the front, please plant the tree a bit deeper and hide the sudden bends on those roots.

I would NOT be in a hurry to severely chop this. Nurse it to health, pinch and prune the top to get better branching and see what works out. The tree has nice taper all the way up. You may want to tke away the pointy top down to where those four branches come off -- and please remove three of the four, leaving the smallest one.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I like the back right as the new front too.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe there's a consensus! I would agree that the nebari on the Back Right view looks the most natural and I'll likely use that as the new front.

I will let it grow freely all next year to regain health. Then I'll think about trunk chopping it, probably a few inches above the 2nd branch. As for those two branches, I"ll cut them back as well since they are too long (as mentioned by Mach).

Thanks for all the inputs!

Top Bottom