New to Bonsai - Indoor Ficus Ginseng Tree Help.

MrJeppo

Seedling
Reaction score
Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Hi,

I am totally new to Bonsai in general and have acquired an unknown age Ficus Ginseng Tree.

Recently, the tree has dropped its leaves (both old and new) even the smallest knock will make them drop. The stems are becoming rather bare (see images). I read online that this particular bonsai likes full sun, although mine is not in full direct sunlight, it does get a large amount. I also turn the plant once a week so each side is getting the same amount of time exposed to light.

I am wondering what can be causing the sudden loss of leaves, and also a white fur: I assume 'mould' has started to develop on one side of the plant base and soil (see images). I water the plant when the soil is dry to the touch. I do not soak the soil when I water, could this be the issue? Is it getting enough water? Also the advice i had been given says that they require humidity so to spray 1 or 2 times a day with room temperature water, which I have been doing.

I have recently purchased Bonsai fertilizer, although I have not used it yet as it says to "only feed during growing season". Is there a specific month range in which this "growing season" is best?

Also, I read that the stems should be trimmed once six leaves have grown, does this include off shoot stems? E.g - If the main stem has 2 leaves then an off shoot that has 4 leaves on then the main stem continues and has a further 6 leaves do i trim the off shoot stem or do i trim the main stem down to the off shoot stem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to keep this tree going as best as I can for as long as I can. If you need any further information, feel free to ask. The moss came with the tree when I was given it, not sure if it has grown or has been placed for decorative
reasons... could this be an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20180120_154015_1.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154015_1.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180120_154024.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154024.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20180120_154031.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154031.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20180120_154052.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154052.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20180120_154059.jpg
    IMG_20180120_154059.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 39

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome !!!

'[ 1 ] Check ----------- is this a ficus that likes a lot of water.

[ 2 ] Ask seller just where this plant came from to determine zonal plant Hardiness.

[ 3 ] It is most likely a grafted plant.

[ 4 ] Moss is only applied to soils for decoration for competition or public display.
Looks like a lawn, helps the illusion of small tree in landscape.
Moss helps to hold water in the soil.
Good Day
Anthony

MrJeppo

Seedling
Reaction score
1) Have checked online and it doesn't give specifics about watering - only that it should be watered when the soil is "dry to the touch" and should not be "over watered". Nothing really specific.
2) Was passed to me by a family member who cannot remember where they got it from.
3) Grafted plant?
4) So I can rule out the moss as a potential issue.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the New Crazy 3.0!

Does the white pot have drainage holes?
Or just the black insert?

If there's no drainage, it could be overwatered, but with drainage at all...
Overwatering is a non issue.

Overmisting however, contradictory as it may sound....
Is very possible.

I liken it to you, just enjoying your day, and every 15 minutes someone comes and blasts you with a supersoaker....just annoying...

And you get annoying, white moldy, annoying responses!

Cold drafts may be an issue.

Sorce

MrJeppo

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the New Crazy 3.0!

Does the white pot have drainage holes?
Or just the black insert?

If there's no drainage, it could be overwatered, but with drainage at all...
Overwatering is a non issue.

Overmisting however, contradictory as it may sound....
Is very possible.

I liken it to you, just enjoying your day, and every 15 minutes someone comes and blasts you with a supersoaker....just annoying...

And you get annoying, white moldy, annoying responses!

Cold drafts may be an issue.

Sorce

Hi,

Not checked the white pot for drainage holes. I assumed as it was stood in a white dish that it would already have some but I will certainly check. If not I will be sure to add some. Cold drafts not really an issue.

Should I let the soil dry completely before re-watering again to ensure it is not getting over watered? Would this affect this plant in any way on this occasion? I will also stop misting for now unless you think i should continue but at a reduced rate.

Thanks for the help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing misting accomplishes For me is breaking the mister!

Don't really need to let it dry....

I've been watering my indoor ficus with fish fert everyday for the last week, and they are only growing for it!

"Gotta keep it Saturated" lol!

Sorce

MrJeppo

Seedling
Reaction score

Thanks for the links.

Based on them, the issue seems to be the environment rather than anything else.

Watering issues see the leaves turning yellow which they are not doing, pests see the leaves cover in a sticky fluid, again which they are not doing.

I think I will need to sit down and investigate this further as all points to an environment issue.

Thanks for the help.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hi,

Not checked the white pot for drainage holes. I assumed as it was stood in a white dish that it would already have some but I will certainly check. If not I will be sure to add some. Cold drafts not really an issue.

Should I let the soil dry completely before re-watering again to ensure it is not getting over watered? Would this affect this plant in any way on this occasion? I will also stop misting for now unless you think i should continue but at a reduced rate.

Thanks for the help.

Just mist once a day, and only water once a day at most. Definitely let it dry out before watering again.

Right now focus on keeping it alive and thriving.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
My thoughts exactly. How much water would you say it needed? Do i need to thoroughly soak the soil completely or just enough to dampen the soil throughout?

water it until the whole soil surface is wet.

Don't drown it, but water it well.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
This looks just like the "Just Add Ice" Ficus I got for Father's Day. The bowl thing that it was in did not have a drainage hole. I took it out of that and plan on air layering/ removing that top off the bulging roots. (You may consider that) I water when dry at the top. Since its tropical I never allow to actually dry out completely. Mine is inside right not but once the nights are steady low of 55 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit it will be back outside in full sunlight.

also since I just thought of it, @sorce @Anthony do you guys think you could airlayer off that top while the tree is indoors?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@Johnathan ,

why not try your hand on a design ?
What could you come up with ?
Good Day
Anthony

I will... I just can't stand those bulging roots on it. Its pretty thin where I want to do the airlayer, I'm on the fence about trying it without cutting the bark as @sorce suggested, but now that I know I can do it inside I think I will have a go at it this weekend so its ready for some full-sun by late spring. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mame-contest-ice-ginseng.28145/

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Johnathan
Is your tree vigorous at the moment, or is it just sitting there with little new growth? You may want to wait for it's vigor to come back before you attempt an air layer.

Though it is a ficus and it would probably be fine doing now, but you might have the same timeline for severing it if you started it in late Spring versus now.

Something to think about.

Top Bottom