Next steps for Wisteria seedlings

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my experience they grow in spurts. They will be going along slow for a while then all of a sudden a spurt. So I learned to watch them closely while wired.

The parent tree grows wild..
Any advice for wintering these little guys?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The parent tree grows wild..
Any advice for wintering these little guys?
Plant them in the ground. Let them be for five years...or more.

Not much use for seedling wisteria. Not much use for wisteria with trunks under two or three inches in diameter...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Plant them in the ground. Let them be for five years...or more.

Not much use for seedling wisteria. Not much use for wisteria with trunks under two or three inches in diameter...

Oh I know, don’t worry. These are just for the experience of growing. That’s all it is, no expectations. Growing from seed is just a different experience that I think we should all have.
Got any advice for helping them survive winter?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh I know, don’t worry. These are just for the experience of growing. That’s all it is, no expectations. Growing from seed is just a different experience that I think we should all have.
Got any advice for helping them survive winter?
If you're truly a Zone 8, I'd just leave them mulched into a garden bed. Growing from seed ain't bonsai, it's farming...;)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you're truly a Zone 8, I'd just leave them mulched into a garden bed. Growing from seed ain't bonsai, it's farming...;)

Indeed, they are far from Bonsai, and potentially will never be.
I like farming! Had fruit and veg growing last year, couldn’t be bothered this year.
Thanks for advice.. I think it’s latgely out of my hands, they gotta just build up enough health and wood to survive and bud next year.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
DSC_0313 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0312 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0311 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0310 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Whatever I do or don't do with them in future, its a nice experience to grow and keep them alive.
I left some seedlings that size in the grow bed last year and they reached 10 ft. In the fall when i dug them up the roots were like long bright yellow snakes thicker than the trunks. Invasive, took over the grow bed. I cut them back severely and put them in grow pots, enough of that nonsense. Rather have control over the root ball as the trunks develop and i train the shape. The good thing is the diameter of the trunk tripled in one year. I started with seeds from a tree in my teachers Bonsai garden. I have seen some nice literati style Wisteria.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I left some seedlings that size in the grow bed last year and they reached 10 ft. In the fall when i dug them up the roots were like long bright yellow snakes thicker than the trunks. Invasive, took over the grow bed. I cut them back severely and put them in grow pots, enough of that nonsense. Rather have control over the root ball as the trunks develop and i train the shape. The good thing is the diameter of the trunk tripled in one year. I started with seeds from a tree in my teachers Bonsai garden. I have seen some nice literati style Wisteria.

Yeh the diameter of the trunk is key, id put these in the ground when ready. Curious to see how well they may grow.
If they grow well this season they may even out grow their small pots and I’ll have to slip pot in to the ground.

Top Bottom