Nursery Stock Masterpieces

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks kindly Vance
It seems like this tree is again going through a magor work over considering it has unfinished jins on it.
I will take a guess that you let it grow out(in a large pot or even in the ground?) hence the need to reduce the roots again.
Any chance of a a starter photo. Did they have Digital 35 years ago!:eek:

This tree has been pot grown since the 70's. No digital photography 35 years ago, actually no digital photography of any quality fifteen years ago---affordable at any rate. The cheapest good digital was six megapixels at over five thousand dollars. A news photographer I met had one that belonged to the news paper. The first affordable digitals go back about ten years at twelve-hundred dollars and a whopping 1.4 megapixels. Any early photos of this tree are film and poor quality.

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Do Shohin and Mame count? Most are Not Yamadori but nursery stock. Yet they can be amazing powerful little trees. Thinner and younger trees can create a different mood than large Yamadori or capture seasonal feelings that may elude. Personally, I enjoy them all, but I am not interested in selling them so I guess that colors my thinking just like it does for those that sell them.

Mark

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW Asus i believe that Melaluca is not Will's and would advise reading all the text first before trying to attack him again...:eek:

Maybe he should have made it more clearer? After all he does not quote the original author and to the average reader it appears like it belongs to him.
But regardless, now that the tree has put on some good growth, maybe it can start being trained?

index.php

Of all my Melaleuca bonsais, this Melaleuca Incana Nana is the only one which flowers. Not bad for a few $ nursery stock

Reaction score
There was an argument in Peter Warren's interview in which he stated that unless someone spends copious amounts of money on stock, that said individual will not take the necessary care to do it right, or a facsimile thereof. Although I have publicly endorsed Peter's interview I do have to condemn that particular statement, and for good reason.

Peter's entire bonsai education occurred as an apprentice in Japan.They have a totally different approach wrt to how they educate their pupils over there, once again openly admitted in his interview. After he spent months sweeping the nursery floors, weeding pots, and watering trees, and then only after demonstrated interest and knowledge was he permitted to work on trees (BTW not the prized possessions) did he begin his apprenticeship. IMO he had to demonstrate to his sensei that he had acquired the necessary talent and knowledge to work on more respectable trees/bonsai.

I am very gratefully and appreciative for your support elsewhere but if you are going to quote me then please quote the whole passage. " Until people have a vested interest (time or money) then there will be a lack of improvement as there is no pressure to maintain or improve".

Your interpretation of my words make me out to be a money obsessed salesman of collected material which could not be further from the truth. I despise what I see happening across the mountains of Europe with every Tom, Dick and Harry raping the countryside collecting every possible tree with the idea that they will be able to sell it for a massive profit. They might do but it is not a sustainable economy, when many of these collected trees die in the future, the owners will quit in a fit of wasted money, time and effort.

The price of a tree often bears no relation to the quality, more often than not it is directly related to the ability of the buyer to recognize quality or not. I always tell my students, buy with your eyes, not with your ears.

My comments with respect to nursery material were not an absolute condemnation of such material and I was amazed to see the discussion that was sparked off by the comment. Good quality trees can be made from nursery material. Better quality trees can be made from bonsai nursery material, even better quality trees can be made from collected material. Amazing trees can be made from a seed. However every type of material has its limitations and they must be worked around. There is no perfect material.

Please do not misinterpret my comments as some kind of command to spend money. To do Bonsai you need either time or money. The creation of Bonsai takes a long time, you either put that time in yourself or you pay for somebody elses time, exactly in the same way you would pay a mechanic to work on your car. This is where Bonsai all gets a bit Marxist and we are going off into a completely different discussion. I am all in favour of cheaper trees for all.

With all due respect your opinions on my apprenticeship are based upon many of the myths that surround Japanese Bonsai which are perpetuated by many who seek to believe in them. I am not one of them, I seek to dispel the myths and take that which is good from the East and combine it with the best of the West. Please do not take this as a personal attack, I am genuinely grateful for all your comments and if you wish to continue this discussion further then please contact me directly.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anyhow, I have no intention of debating everything but the subject here, I'll post in this thread again when I have the link to the nursery stock bonsai gallery.

Please do not leave out lines when quoting me, the actual FULL quote is as follows: ... Will

I left some lines out. Regardless, where is the AOB gallery? I am anxiously awaiting the masterpieces...

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am very gratefully and appreciative for your support elsewhere but if you are going to quote me then please quote the whole passage. " Until people have a vested interest (time or money) then there will be a lack of improvement as there is no pressure to maintain or improve".

Copious amounts of money might have been a wrong reference used in this particular case. The passage I was referring to was:

The inexpensive nature of the trees leads to a lasseiz-faire attitude, they are forgotten about and if they die the common response is ?well it was cheap anyway?.

Your interpretation of my words make me out to be a money obsessed salesman of collected material which could not be further from the truth. I despise what I see happening across the mountains of Europe with every Tom, Dick and Harry raping the countryside collecting every possible tree with the idea that they will be able to sell it for a massive profit. They might do but it is not a sustainable economy, when many of these collected trees die in the future, the owners will quit in a fit of wasted money, time and effort.

.. and that is not the intent I was trying to convey to the audience this side of the pond. There seems to be a consensus that we need to arrive at the destination yesterday, and the only way to achieve this is through pre-bonsai stock or collected material, which in turn are indeed expensive.

It is true one can find decent material (albeit rare) at any given nursery, I believe as was pointed out it is more important to teach patience and plant selection over source. The enthusiast will come to grasps once he becomes serious of differentiating the two. But until that learning curve in his apprenticeship is mastered, the resulting lack of applied knowledge will be far more drastic on an expensive piece of material than one that was acquired elsewhere.

The issue I have issues with is: "If you are serious about bonsai" that is often brought up through the course of many discussions. I am serious about bonsai. I am not extravagant with bonsai nor do I have the intention of being exuberant about bonsai, bonsai is more than that. So when someone (not every one) this side of the pond, ridicules those who are less fortunate then others, then I believe these folks are not in bonsai for the right reasons as previously explained.

I understand what Walter was trying to impart to his audience, but as mentioned, folks will need to get and feel a bloody nose, before they can progress.

The price of a tree often bears no relation to the quality, more often than not it is directly related to the ability of the buyer to recognize quality or not. I always tell my students, buy with your eyes, not with your ears.

... and this was discussed at length from the ensuing discussion of the original review.

My comments with respect to nursery material were not an absolute condemnation of such material and I was amazed to see the discussion that was sparked off by the comment. Good quality trees can be made from nursery material. Better quality trees can be made from bonsai nursery material, even better quality trees can be made from collected material. Amazing trees can be made from a seed. However every type of material has its limitations and they must be worked around. There is no perfect material.

... no argument there, if time is a factor, then there indeed are shortcuts.

Please do not misinterpret my comments as some kind of command to spend money. To do Bonsai you need either time or money. The creation of Bonsai takes a long time, you either put that time in yourself or you pay for somebody elses time, exactly in the same way you would pay a mechanic to work on your car. This is where Bonsai all gets a bit Marxist and we are going off into a completely different discussion. I am all in favour of cheaper trees for all.

... once again no argument there. One should be practicing the art in a fashion that is comfortable to him/her and within his/her means, the rest is irrelevant.

With all due respect your opinions on my apprenticeship are based upon many of the myths that surround Japanese Bonsai which are perpetuated by many who seek to believe in them. I am not one of them, I seek to dispel the myths and take that which is good from the East and combine it with the best of the West. Please do not take this as a personal attack, I am genuinely grateful for all your comments and if you wish to continue this discussion further then please contact me directly.

... and the latter was pointed out in your interview. I do not believe the type of apprenticeship imposed by the Japanese (in many instances) be conducive to good learning. You were priviledge to work on world class trees, but correct me if I am wrong, not until you proved you were capable of doing so. Perhaps working on these trees precluded the laissez-faire attitude in your case, but I don't believe that the laissez-faire attitude is as wide spread as you would make it to be neither. I believe the lack of any kind of personal discipline leads to nonchalance, regardless of the venue.

I hope this clarified my intentions.

Edit: When a presumption was made wrt your particular apprenticeship, it was based on journal entries that Matt Ouwinga provided us some time ago, of his experiences as an apprentice in Japan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The price of a tree often bears no relation to the quality, more often than not it is directly related to the ability of the buyer to recognize quality or not.....
Well said!

I would only add that where the tree is purchased also bears no relation to the quality.

I left some lines out. Regardless, where is the AOB gallery? I am anxiously awaiting the masterpieces...
Sorry Rich, my comment was directed at Asus, I should have been clearer.

The gallery is in progress with quite a few trees already, I would like to give some time for other trees to come in. Once I have enough, the selection process will begin and then the gallery will be posted. I'll give a link when it is.

Meanwhile, just to address the argument often brought up that collected material somehow saves time (even though we all know that collected material presents other problems that will take time to address, such as branch thickness, placement, root development, taper, and so on) I thought I would post this interesting progression by Michael Pollock on a Scots Pine bought at a nursery and showing a mere time frame of two years. Nursery stock does not necessarily take longer to develop into a respectable bonsai than collected material or even bonsai nursery material. That is if the artist has the ability to first see quality stock and also has the talent to bring out the bonsai from the stock.

Attachment photographs by Michael Pollock, Scots Pine by same.

Will

Attachments

• Scots-evolutionOPT.jpg
    Scots-evolutionOPT.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Reaction score
I appreciate the clarification but as with all the debates it all boils down to semantics.

The point I was trying to make was about having a vested interest much more than about spending money. As for being serious about bonsai, you have to understand that my life revolves around small trees in pots. For me it isn't a hobby. I am not talking about the average enthusiast...the comments I made were in reference to that 5% of people who devote a seriously unhealthy amount of time to Bonsai, and in reference to a laissez-faire attitude, my standard is set so high that a single weed in a one of your bonsai pots is laissez-faire and disrespectful. For other people this is fine, we all have our own standards that we live by but as you so rightly said it is a lack of self discipline. How far are you personally willing to go in order to create trees? Are you prepared to work through the night or do you go home because your favourite television program is on and you forgot to tivo it?

I do not live up to my own standards. If I did then I would stop and stagnate.

As for the relevance of apprenticeship I think that for anybody in any manual profession, an apprenticeship is of absolute importance. You cannot learn Bonsai in a classroom, you cannot learn to read the grain of wood from any other means than lworking with a master carpenter who learnt his skills the hard way, through experience and there is no way he will give that up for free. You have to earn it by whatever means necessary. The lack of apprenticeships in the trades and the obsession with modern governments and schools to throw all children into University education has turned the US/UK into nations dependent upon the stereotypical Mexican/Polish gardener/plumber.

The Japanese approach to apprenticeship is no different to how English apprentices used to be treated in the past. The concept of earning your spurs is universal. It (should) teaches you self discipline and respect for your tools, your materials, your customers and for the spirit of the trade/craft/skill. However raising up an apprentice is the same as Bonsai, no matter how much effort you put in to trying to help some people, if they are bad material (hard headed, stubborn and rude) then they will never become anything.

AS for me the first tree I ever worked on on my first day as a student was a 400 year old needle juniper that won second prize at Sakkafuten. I was thrown in at the deep end. That was my masters way of doing things.

You mentioned watering as one of the menial tasks on a par with weeding. Watering Bonsai trees is without a doubt the most difficult skill to master. Wiring trees is a manual process that can be defined by rules and can be learnt in a few months. I can teach almost any beginner to wire in an effective manner within a month if he is willing to practice. I cannot teach a person to read the condition of soil, the trees, the weather, the humidity, etc etc etc . That comes from time spent simply observing, experiencing and then processing the data. Most people don't even look at their trees. When doing a workshop I often surprise people by telling them the history of their tree or the position in the garden... "How did you know that?" is the response.

Trees don't lie, thats why I like them.

I also like sleep...

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Peter:
Thank you for your post. It points up exactly what most of us have been saying, apparently not very well. Taking any kind of extreme position in these matters merely causes divisiveness.

I have long said that people come to this hobby from many different directions. Some wish to start with seed and cuttings, and do everything to their tree from propagation forward. Of course this is incredibly time intensive, not to mention the amount of horticultural information that must be possessed to make it work.

Others wish to shorten the time frame in one way or another, and that is where nursery stock, prebonsai, and some yamadori specimens come in (noting that some collected trees should not have been collected...). Still others prefer to buy specimen bonsai and meticulously maintain them and perhaps take them to another level of quality. Some wish to collect specimens and hire the work done. And a great many American enthusiasts become workshop junkies where they buys their ticket and rides their ride--meaning they pay for the instruction and the tree and take what they get.

As far as I am concerned, any way someone comes to bonsai has some merit. Each approach to bonsai has its strengths and weaknesses, and if someone has settled into their own way of approaching the passion, I say go for it. To limit that in some way is to simply overreach our grasp.

That's why I have thought this was a bit overblown. We've been through this food fight before, and come to the same conclusion you have put so eloquently.

(EDIT) I apologize for my last comment. I was responding to Peter's great post, but thought I was in the yamadori thread. My mistake. Carry on. Nothing to see here, folks.

Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Learn to use quote tags. I was not the only one who believed it to be your tree posted in someone's thread.

What a craptastic intermission to a very interesting discussion.

RELAX! :eek:

The issue was clarified, move along.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I came across this tree by Rob Kempinski over at IBC.

I particularly don't like the word "masterpiece" in the title of this thread, but this IMO is a respectable bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came across this tree by Rob Kempinski over at IBC.

I particularly don't like the word "masterpiece" in the title of this thread, but this IMO is a respectable bonsai.

Rick, it's a beautiful tree from nursery stock at a bonsai nursery, so it hardly qualifies for this thread. Tom Brantley owns The Great American Bonsai Company in or near Ocala, FL.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another link if you don't mind.

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=133&topic=23058.0

I find this a fascinating post considering what we are discussing here.Note Mario's statement that this was the first wiring.I somehow doubt that(looking at the trunk's twists and turns),but his statement seems to indicate that this was the first wiring as a bonsai.Before that,this tree was just stock.Very fine stock I would say.Perhaps it came from a regular nursery,but someone did some preliminary work.

I could be completely wrong :D ...but whether or not i understood his post....it made "me" think of how differently we perceive the "beginning point" of a tree's journey to become a bonsai.

andy

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rick, it's a beautiful tree from nursery stock at a bonsai nursery, so it hardly qualifies for this thread. Tom Brantley owns The Great American Bonsai Company in or near Ocala, FL.

frigg knows Chris, Ron only stated nursery stock so I posted it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
frigg knows Chris, Ron only stated nursery stock so I posted it.

Don't worry about it, I only knew that by googling the name. It's interesting that now the definition of nursery stock may be in flux. In fact, what if he bought it as prebonsai from a bonsai nursery that started out with common nursery stock? Hmmmmm:confused:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't worry about it, I only knew that by googling the name. It's interesting that now the definition of nursery stock may be in flux. In fact, what if he bought it as prebonsai from a bonsai nursery that started out with common nursery stock? Hmmmmm:confused:
This is what Rob posted today:

It's about 20 inches tall from the pot top and about 22 inches wide.

I feel there is a lesson in this tree. Lately I've seen lots of comments about the dearth of imported trees in the US. Frankly I don't mind imported trees but there are zillions of trees in the US that could be made into good bonsai. Some lurk in nursery containers like this one, others are in landscapes around homes and buildings and many others are in the woods. A little time and effort can make good bonsai. Imported trees give a head start but are not mandatory.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gallery I promised is completed and waiting for appoval, hopefully it will be launched soon.

Marc Arpaq made an interesting observation in the recent American Shohin-Bonsai Association newsletter on this very subject. In fact he mentioned the recent "wars" on nursery stock masterpieces, it is worth the read. (For those who are not yet members, see this.)

Mark's observation was that he recently went to the International Bonsai Shohin Symposium which displayed over 200 Shohin bonsai, "most created from nursery stock."

Interesting, at the least,

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, if you have a bonsai that was created from tradition nursery or garden center stock that you would like considered for the gallery, please email it to me.

There is no deadline, the gallery is dynamic and will be updated as new bonsai are submitted.

Thanks,

Will

Top Bottom