Nut nest!

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
So this is a nursery yamadori (something the boss had laying around at his farm shop he gave it to me) I'm pretty sure it's a dwarf birds nest spruce. It's the right time to work spruce so I thought it would be fun to style a tree entirely as a group. Branches will only be removed if the majority agrees. I have no input, I'll only be doing what you guys think should be done. I did spend some time today removing die off, needles and crotch branches, I'll get a pic of it opened up tomorrow. I only have wire for setting larger branches as well, sorry. So let see those virtuals and hear those suggestions, this should be fun.

Attachments

• 20160203_141802.jpg
    20160203_141802.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 20160203_141810.jpg
    20160203_141810.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160203_141827.jpg
    20160203_141827.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20160203_141842.jpg
    20160203_141842.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20160203_141852.jpg
    20160203_141852.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 108

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know anything about spruces, but excited to see the happenings... Will be in the back row watching :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Can you guy wire the foliage masses apart...so we can see what is what.

I want to know (1st pic, where the left trunks right branches go.....
I feel like the middle or right one has to go....but they may have too much foliage.

Can all the trunks be moved?

Sorce

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I would totally jin everything that goes left or everything that goes right, depends how it looks like in live.
And you got yourself a champion with a story.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blake,do you know if it will backbud on old wood?

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
from looking at it, it seems like it would, there are buds forming on old wood. I got it last year early to mid summer. all I've done is water feed and watch, it had a spring flush and then another fall set that opened up after a good dose of food. and just from looking at it the growth habit is very similar to my Alberta's so I would venture to say yes it will back bud on old wood, esp at nodes and crotches, even on the thicker 1-2" think branches there is growth that popped bud last season. I'll try and get some better pictures shortly, it's freaking cold out there right now. and i'm headed to vegas tmrw for my 25th, i'll be back Monday though and then we can really start tearing into this sucker.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would venture to say yes it will back bud on old wood, esp at nodes and crotches

You will find yourself cutting the growth in the branch/trunk joints a lot and yes they do back bud on old wood. We put one in our tiny front landscape last year and I am thank full it is a slow grower. For that reason think out your cuts carefully... ;)

Grimmy

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice.

Can you guy wire the foliage masses apart...so we can see what is what.

I want to know (1st pic, where the left trunks right branches go.....
I feel like the middle or right one has to go....but they may have too much foliage.

Can all the trunks be moved?

Sorce
more or less yes they can all be moved. i'll get some blocks and guy wires in there when I get back, its just too cold to be outside for very long right now.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have seen alot of these dwarf spruces worked over the years and here is my singular advice. Before you dream and ponder and lust and plot. Wait for the appropriate time and repot it--and keep repoting until all the nursery soil is gone and solid block of roots is removed and managed--Be aggressive and thorough--completely clean it up section by section as much as you dare. Meanwhile avert your eyes---this way if it dies, which for most folks,many do in the transition, you will not have expended your heart and energy. Once in a good soil with manageable roots, make it grow strongly THEN you can get after it. I sadly kept a few for years tinkering with them only to do them in by weakening them to the point they could not withstand the necessary repotting process. Sigh.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote bare root repotting.

Let it regain health while you are gone!
Or die.

Sorce

Top Bottom